DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 135
3 members and 132 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6, MPSniper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > After the Ride...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Ride report 3/15/08
Unread
  (#1)
Triple Secks

Ride report 3/15/08 - March 17, 2008, 02:24 PM

Saturday Ride.

map of route:
http://www.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en...,0.270538&z=13

My roommate and i SW20(08 silver R6) went out for a ride on saturday. It was overall an awesome day. Weather was gorgeous! I had 80 miles on the new Ninja 250. So i changed the oil. i wanted a route that didnt have a lot of highway speeds of 55-60+ as the 250s gearing is pretty short. Still breaking it in (the hard method) but i like to avoid prolonged highway speeds in top gear. This route was fun and allowed me to row through the lower gears with a lot of engine braking. I led and SW20 followed. He's from Oklahoma and directionally challenged in a big way. Trust me, it's better this way.

We started in Columbia, and ended up in Gaithersburg which turned into a small loop that took us back the way we came. I used to live in Olney/Brookeville and it's been a really long time since ive been on some of those back roads. It was kind of nostalgic. I hadn't been on needwood/muncaster in probably 5 years. I used to love hitting those roads in my MR2 turbo. I wanted to hit Avery as well, but i couldn't remember *exactly* where it was. My shoulders were starting to ache a bit as well. Yes, i know it's too short of a distance to be tired, but i was at the gym 2 hours before the ride, and then changed the oil. I was already a bit fatigued before we began.

Pace was slow/moderate. Doing break-in for the motor, i tend run the rpms up and let it engine brake back to cruising rpms. Moderate enthusiasm on the twisties, we are both noobs so we dont do anything too stupid, just riding within our own ability.

The 2008 250 is a real blast. I love how stable it feels, how precise it cuts into turns. It may weigh 30lbs more then the older model, but it actually feels much lighter and it's extremely flickable. The brakes are awesome. Stops very quickly compared to the 06 with minimum nose dive. The engine is stronger in the mid range but runs out of breath at around 10k. I think the new exhaust is really restricting it up there. I cant wait to hit the track with this bike. This was the first time since the fall i have been out on a 'fun' ride, and i have to say there is a big difference in riding for pleasure than there is for commuting in 15* weather. I do enjoy commuting on the mc, but getting out in nice weather and enjoying the twisties and rolling scenery? Just awesome, makes you feel alive.

The more time i get on the 250 the more i feel comfortable on it. It's really a great little bike. Up to 180 miles now.

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.

Last edited by Abrasive; March 17, 2008 at 02:27 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
noise

March 17, 2008, 09:21 PM

Ahhh yes, the memories you stir.... I remember the similar feeling with my 2nd bike 1987 Ninja 250, black with white rims and that red banana seat...

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."
Unread
  (#3)
facebook what is that?

March 18, 2008, 05:47 AM

Good read on the report.. btw I know you will enjoy more on the twisties w/the 250 as you get past the break in period on the bike...

\O/
/ /
|\ Seattle Mariners
/ |
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to gixxernoob  
Unread
  (#4)
MSF Student

March 18, 2008, 12:00 PM

sweet, sounds like you had fun
Unread
  (#5)
I am a bitch, so what?

March 18, 2008, 12:41 PM

My old stomping grounds. Looks like you missed Avery by only a few turns.

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil  
Unread
  (#6)
Triple Secks

March 18, 2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRSheDevil
My old stomping grounds. Looks like you missed Avery by only a few turns.
Yeah...Used to be my old stomping grounds too back when i was into cars. 6-8 years ago before i gave that up. Was kind of wierd going back there but i really dont know many twisties cept for those, and a few down south near dunkirk/friendship maryland.

I'll definatly have to hit Avery up next time if only for old times sake. I didn't realize how close i had gotten to it till i looked back at the map.

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.