DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 534
2 members and 532 guests
davidcycle, dubplaya
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > After the Ride...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Riding in the rain...
Unread
  (#1)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

Riding in the rain... - April 16, 2007, 11:57 AM

I took my bike out yesterday in the rain. It took me all morning to screw up my courage to do it because I haven't ridden all season (bike has been under repair, and will continue to be so because Coleman's is incompetent).
I knew that once upon a time I wasn't afraid of rain or cold, only darkness (because you can't avoid hazards you can't see). I had to face that fear but I simply HAD to ride.

And ride I did. My cell phone was dead as a doornail and my charger was at work, so I decided to make most of my riding fairly local, in case I had to grab a cab home or something. So I ran errands. I learned that ski pants aren't waterproof. Neither were my gloves. But soaked to the butt bone, I still didn't want to come home once my errands were over. A wet ride on the bike is better than a comfy couch!

Later yesterday, I had reason to travel from Dale City to Vienna. I decided I'd rather make that journey on a Sunday than a weekday, and it had to be done, so I put on my good one-piece motorcycle rain suit. I don't know that I've ever worn it in the rain before (hubby has). Oh wow. I stayed dry . I wore latex gloves under my wet winter gloves and my hands got cold, but they didn't fall off. And of course, I had my "schwipper" rubber banded to my left glove thumb to wipe my visor clean (it's a piece of windshield wiper with rubber bands holding it in place).

I had to stop once to warm up, but I came home cold and exhilarated! I faced my fear of wet pavement (yay wet pavement!) and had a blast.

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
got barrier?

April 16, 2007, 12:04 PM

wow that wiper idea is genious....i hate having to use my hand when it rains!

glad you had fun

DUCATI MONSTER
rubber ducky?!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dubplaya  
Unread
  (#3)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
April 16, 2007, 12:05 PM

Thank you for the read Kat. Good and proper gear makes a huge differance

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
Unread
  (#4)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

April 16, 2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubplaya
wow that wiper idea is genious....i hate having to use my hand when it rains!

glad you had fun
Road spray and light rain are the WORST. They cover your visor with fine droplets that you can't just ignore. I keep the schwipper in my saddle bag. Visibility is your best defense against all the hazards that are out there, so a clean wipe can be a lifesaver. Also, trying to squint through raindrops is exhausting. I just wish I had a hands-free option!

**Sara**

Kevers

Unread
  (#5)
ATTN INVESTORS!

April 16, 2007, 12:12 PM

Kudos. You've just garuanteed yourself a lot more saddle time by eliminating an otherwise natural deterant. Once you got over the hesitation and got out there, I'm sure it wasn't even that big of a deal.

May come as a surprise to some, but these machines aren't quite as unstable as people may think. Motorcycles can in fact be ridden safely in conditions other than dry, sunny, and 70 degrees.

Imagine that!

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rekoniz  
Unread
  (#6)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
April 16, 2007, 12:17 PM

Lots of RAIN - X! Inside and out. Fog - X only works in cars

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
Unread
  (#7)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

April 16, 2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekoniz
Kudos. You've just garuanteed yourself a lot more saddle time by eliminating an otherwise natural deterant. Once you got over the hesitation and got out there, I'm sure it wasn't even that big of a deal.

May come as a surprise to some, but these machines aren't quite as unstable as people may think. Motorcycles can in fact be ridden safely in conditions other than dry, sunny, and 70 degrees.

Imagine that!

Hehe, so true! Besides, I generally don't push the traction envelope, anyway. I have touring tires on my bike. I'm not worried about slipping. I ride like a pussy kat.

**Sara**

Kevers

Unread
  (#8)
Winnar!!

April 16, 2007, 12:52 PM

damn.... you're braver than I am.
Unread
  (#9)
Largely Unsupervised....

April 16, 2007, 01:14 PM

Good for you Sara! I don't mind a rain ride myself when the weather is a bit warmer. (Wet is one thing, COLD and wet, another.) Most rain suits that I've had in the past end up feeling like a personal sauna. I purchased a Frogg Togg 2 piece suit that has REALLY served me well and relatively cheap at around $80. Just don't touch a hot exhaust pipe with it or it melts.

Bikes can handle VERY well in heavy rain as long as the tires have good tread and the front/rear alignment is true. I've passed chickensh#t SUV drivers with white-knuckle grips on the wheel and HAZARD LIGHTS on in various downpours, giving them the appropriate look of disdain as I pass.

There are some rain gloves that have wipers attached to the left index finger, I've got a "Held" rainglove like that. Other raingloves often have a neoprene (sp?) patch of cloth on the left index finger for the same purpose.

Dragula! I've heard that Rain-X on a face shield can eat up the visor or affect it in some manner that is not preferable. I've used it myself and it seemed okay, but I'd love to hear other folks' experiences.

re: Fog Evidently the only effective anti-fog device is that "Fog City" shield that is a laminent sheet that you permanently adhere to the inside of a face shield. From what I've heard, it is very effective against fog, but can cause a haze or starburst effect in direct sunlight. My experience with spray-on "no fog" elixirs has not been good. A bandana tied over your face COVERING your nose helps to keep warm breath from fogging a cooled visor as well.

--------------

This has been another fine contribution from Captain Craptastic.

2014 Harley Street Glide
'08 Brass Balls Bobber
'04 KTM 625 SMC
'78 Honda CB750K (soon to be mated to sidecar)
'07 SSR 125
'99 BMW K1200RS (SOLD)
'95 Honda Z50R (donated to a buddy)
'89 CR500R (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1100F (SOLD)
'82 Honda CB750F (SOLD)
Unread
  (#10)
Watch out kid! I'm in 1st

April 16, 2007, 01:34 PM

Sounds like you had a good ride, almost sound comfortable in the rain. I for one don't enjoy it since I don't have proper rain gear. I haven't purposely gone out to ride in the rain but if it starts I'll ride thru it to finish whatever it was I'm doing. For me it's just not as enjoyable and I hate having to detail my bike all over again . When it comes to rain on the visor I usually employ the, turn the head to the side trick, works well if you're traveling at a good speed otherwise you have to use the glove.

Nice to hear your bike it back and running.

06 Kawi 650R Black
Unread
  (#11)
itsOnlyWrongIfuGetCaught

April 16, 2007, 01:52 PM

The rain is the only cleaing my bike see's.

"I'm ready for a commitment Harry. First time I set eyes on Mary Swanson I just got that old-fashioned romantic feeling, where I'd do anything to bone her."
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

April 16, 2007, 01:59 PM

Dam Corbett you beat me! Most good rain gloves come with a wiper. Yes get a Fog City shield for your helmet. It will not fog again. And don't use latex gloves under a good pair of gloves cause the latex will not let yor skin breath and they will just get colder. And don't forget to do some parking lot drills in the rain such as hard braking to find the grip your tires have.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#13)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

April 16, 2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131
And don't forget to do some parking lot drills in the rain such as hard braking to find the grip your tires have.
That's a good idea. My biggest fear about hard braking drills is dropping the bike unnecessarily and having to repair all over again. Is there a safer way of doing hard braking drills?

(Of course, I won't be doing them until my bike is fixed. Darn thing stalls on downhills and hard brakes, still. Not quite fixed, darnit).

**Sara**

Kevers

Unread
  (#14)
Resident Rodent

April 16, 2007, 03:48 PM

I'm such a wuss. I hate, hate, hate riding in the rain.

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

April 16, 2007, 03:49 PM

glad to see that I was not the only idiot in the rain yesterday.