DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 588
5 members and 583 guests
2blueyam, 2wheelin, davidcycle, GRN96WS6, HenryW
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > After the Ride...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rt 33 "solo" ride report/ 33 claims another (8/24)
Unread
  (#1)
One of The Usual Suspects

Rt 33 "solo" ride report/ 33 claims another (8/24) - August 24, 2008, 10:19 PM

Well...just got back from an interesting day on 33.

After oversleeping and missing a Frederick ride, I throw the bike on the trailer and head for 33 by myself. I'm unloading the bike at the bottom of the mountain when a guy pulls up on an '07 Gixxer. He tells me that there are two crashes as we speak, one on the front side in which the guys was okay, and one on the back side in which he thought the guy didn't make it.

I get suited up and we make an easy pass up and over to check things out. The first crash had already been cleared, but rescue personnel and equipment were still on scene at the second crash. We got stopped for a little while as they cleaned up the scene. One of the rescue guys walked past us and I asked how the guy was doing. His reply...he shook his head and said "I can't say." Not good...

He was going downhill into a left corner and it looks like he either overshot it or slid into the rock face. There was a huge puddle of antifreeze on the ground.

We met another rider a little later who saw the rescue workers put a body bag into an ambulance. The ambulance didn't even turn its lights on when it pulled away...guess it was too late.

It was weird, on every pass I made up the backside I got a really strange feeling when I was avoiding that antifreeze spot. Knowing a guy died right there less than a half-hour before does something to you.

Pretty shitty start to the day...almost thought about bagging it but decided to stay, which I'm glad I did. It turned out to be an okay day.

Note to self...when a shaved-head dude shows up on a Gixxer 750 with Pilot Races wearing full leathers, and has a skull tatoo on the back of his head...it's gonna be an interesting day! (see pics)

I met another local guy on an FZ1 who gave me a "guided tour" to Seneca Rocks and some insight to some other really good roads out there for future rides. Lots of fun.

And to top it off, a Gixxer-chick shows up on '07 600 wearing high-heeled riding boots and a pink helmet...pretty sexy.

To the hotshot on the CBR that passed me going down the backside. I was waiting to make a clean pass on the two Goldwings in front when you zipped by me. It was fun chasing you down the mountain...for a minute! Not to preach, but if you're gonna ride like that you need gear...jeans and that t-shirt aren't gonna cut it.

And to the WV Trooper in the Durango, I don't know why you didn't pull us...you had us cold at 100+...thank you. Pheeewwwwwwwwwwww.

To run, or not to run: that is the question. (The Toadmeister spin on Shakespeare, LOL)

Yup, I think you could call it an interesting day. And to think I, almost went back to sleep this morning.

Here's a link to a few pics.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v514/toadmeister00/Solo%20Rt33%20Ride%20Aug%2024%202008/

Last edited by toadmeister00; August 24, 2008 at 11:49 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to toadmeister00  
Unread
  (#2)
I hate Hybrid drivers

August 24, 2008, 10:24 PM

RIP to yet another.

That guys tattoo is super hot.

Great area to ride.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)

August 24, 2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david636
RIP to yet another.

Great area to ride.
That tatoo was BAD-ASS!!! If I didn't have aspirations of moving from the field to an office position eventually I would love to have some crazy shit like that, or at least carry my tribal sleeves up to my neck.
Unread
  (#4)
2 wheels for life

August 24, 2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
RIP to yet another.

Great area to ride.
+1 .. you trailer your bike till there! .. ur hardcore

I need some of that luck on the troopers

So when are we riding the new roads u learned?

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)

August 24, 2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Great area to ride.
Speaking of that...when when gonna ride again??? I had a blast chasing you guys on the Southern ride!
Unread
  (#6)

August 24, 2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEP
+1 .. you trailer your bike till there! .. ur hardcore

I need some of that luck on the troopers

So when are we riding the new roads u learned?
Hey Deep,

Honestly, I need to back of just a hair for a bit. I feel that I've really pushed my luck over the last few weekends, and today was especially crazy on 33.

Between last weeks solo 211 ride Thursday, Nick's ride last Friday, R6Speed's 33 ride Saturday, a Frederick ride Sunday (over 1,200 miles in 4 days) and the 33 ride today I feel like I'm really pushing it. That is why I trailered the bike today...if I crashed I wanted the truck/trailer close by. Plus, my two-month old Corsa III's are SHOT! I'll be visiting Kevin this week.

That said, I would love to do another ride like yesterday (a little better pace than yesterday, though, but nothing crazy).
Unread
  (#7)
2 wheels for life

August 24, 2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadmeister00
Hey Deep,

Honestly, I need to back of just a hair for a bit. I feel that I've really pushed my luck over the last few weekends, and today was especially crazy on 33.

Between last weeks solo 211 ride Thursday, Nick's ride last Friday, R6Speed's 33 ride Saturday, a Frederick ride Sunday (over 1,200 miles in 4 days) and the 33 ride today I feel like I'm really pushing it. That is why I trailered the bike today...if I crashed I wanted the truck/trailer close by. Plus, my two-month old Corsa III's are SHOT! I'll be visiting Kevin this week.

That said, I would love to do another ride like yesterday (a little better pace than yesterday, though, but nothing crazy).
I feel like if I am think about crashing I will (I say that as if I dont , I wont ) .. yea I guess its better to trailer if u have a long straightt way to cover .. looking forward for a 33 ride soon! havent been there in a long time..

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)

August 24, 2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEP
I feel like if I am think about crashing I will (I say that as if I dont , I wont ) .. yea I guess its better to trailer if u have a long straightt way to cover .. looking forward for a 33 ride soon! havent been there in a long time..
The 2-hour ride up there just sucks, and if anything were to happen you're a looooong way from home.

Let me get tires on, then Taty and I will put together a 33 ride. He has been wanting to go again, too.
Unread
  (#9)

August 24, 2008, 11:42 PM

Oops...double post.
Unread
  (#10)
Owner & Creator

August 25, 2008, 12:22 AM

RIP.
I heard about it.
Friend was there.
One must know to ride within their limit.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

August 25, 2008, 12:25 AM

No offense man, but if you are trailering to a public 10 mile section of road and treating it like the track and doing laps, don't be too surprised when you crash.
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

August 25, 2008, 12:54 AM

My group (blue Gsxr600, gray gsxr1K, red Kawi1K, yellow/blue CRB1K) saw you guys when we passed though the area... Didn't pull over cause we were running behind and had to roll home...
Unread
  (#13)

August 25, 2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold
No offense man, but if you are trailering to a public 10 mile section of road and treating it like the track and doing laps, don't be too surprised when you crash.
No offense taken, Witold. I don't ride any harder than most on this board, it is just such a long way out there if something were to happen, plus i was going alone.

I saw you guys go by when were were stopped at the top I think.
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

August 25, 2008, 02:56 AM

Oh yeah, on our way west we saw you guys...

I think in the last ride report you guys said you took the highways there... I think that's part of the problem. (I would trailer too if I had the dreaded highway ride to deal with). You should check out the back road ways to get there...

The thing about running it back and fourth is that you end up gaining a lot of comfort on this one stretch and start going faster and faster as your familiarity increases. You end up going disproportionally faster than you would otherwise, and this reduced your room for error. It doesn't really matter if others are running it faster - I'm sure that your speed is fast enough too...

This is also how 211 set on a path to being completely shut down. In the olden days when I started riding (lol) people (including me) could go there on a weekend and do laps untill we were sick of it and never see any cops. But too many people started going there and doing laps and eventually crashing - which in turn brought community complaits and police crackdown. And here we are, 5 years later, and they recieved state money to monitor the road and pull over sportbike riders for just about anything and ticketing them for whatever non-inspection-passing thing you have on your bike.

So, at the very least, the best policy is to keep things on the downlow.
Unread
  (#15)

August 25, 2008, 04:32 AM

Damn,

Just read on .com that the fallen rider was one of our own.

Bun_d (Brandon)

http://dcsportbikes.com/forums/t/102311.aspx

R.I.P.