DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 536
2 members and 534 guests
beatle, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > After the Ride...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rt. 421 - The Snake
Unread
  (#1)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

Rt. 421 - The Snake - October 18, 2010, 03:23 PM

Hey guys, went on a ride with the motorcycle club at Tech down to Tennessee to hit up the Snake yesterday. DAMN. I was a little apprehensive because we invited some girls to ride 2 up at about 4 am the night before we left. Woke up at 9ish completely exhausted, washed the bike and took off. I was on my DRZ which I didn't know how the tires would hold up to highway riding or being 2 up, but I figured it would work out.

We got down there no problem, took me a little longer than everyone else once we got onto 421 because my rear tire felt like it was on butter for a few of the turns so I kept a pretty slow pace most of the way. There was significant gravel in a lot of the turns too so that was slowing things down even more. We met at a gas station about midway through and relaxed for a bit, then hit the second half a few times. It was some of the best riding I've ever been able to do (which is only like 2 year's worth haha). Fall leaves changing, nice clear roads and not too much traffic made for a great experience. I ended up waiting at the bottom of one turn as the rest of the guys went up and down a few more times; I didn't really trust my tires at that point. I got to watch (but forgot to video) some locals who were absolutely ripping up this corner at speeds I would never consider going on a public street, but then again I didn't grow up around a road like this so I don't blame them.

One of our guys went down and messed up the fairings on his Yamaha, I can't remember what kind though. His sprocket had almost no teeth left on it either, and we should have tightened his chain a bit while we were at the gas station but didn't think of it.

Once we had got all of our riding in we went back but took a different route due to the gravel getting there. That's where we went under the short tunnel rock thing and noticed we we're missing the guy that went down and the chase car, so we sent two guys back and they came back with him in the car. His chain had jumped off the rear sprocket and broke free so he had to park it on the side of the road and get a ride in the car back. I'm pretty sure he went down to pick it up today.

We went back to one of the guy's houses where his family had cooked up some delicious ribs and had more kinds of bbq sauce than I knew existed, so we ate up and talked about the day, then at around 9pm (we planned to be home loosely around got on our bikes and hit 81 north for the last hundred miles of the day. It got kinda chilly but stayed dry so it was a relaxing ride back to blacksburg

Overall I'm incredibly glad I went on this and would do it again in a heartbeat when I can find the time (and some street tires). I'm impressed with how well the DRZ handled 10 hours of 2 up riding, and even more so impressed with how my passenger handled 10 hours of the DRZ seat haha

Survived the Snake!!

EDIT: More photos:
Rolling out:

That is a DRZ400 doing highway speeds 2 up. Forreal.

Whenever a post needs posting, I appear, then I'm gone.

Last edited by hokierider; October 19, 2010 at 08:02 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hokierider  
Unread
  (#2)
Mohawk Ryderz Prez

October 18, 2010, 03:50 PM

i know those guy you are referring to. specially the dude on the orange 636, tell him Jdubbz said what's up. they rode with us on the VT memorial ride we did this summer.

www.MohawkRyderz.com
http://www.Facebook.com/MohawkRyderz
http://www.twitter.com/MohawkRyderz

2012 zx10r
2004 Cbr1000rr black - Sold
2006 R1 anniversary edition - Sold
2006 Gsxr 600 red/blk - Sold
2006 Gsxr 600 flat Green/Silver - Sold
2007 Gsxr 600 flat blk/pink - wifey's Sold
2004 Yamaha R1 Black Sold
2003 Hayabusa orange Sold
2006 zx6r blk mobile jukebox (contest winner-hater's bike)Sold
2004 R6 blk/red Sold
2007 zx10r blue Sold
2005 zx6r red Sold
2003 R6 blk sold
2007 zx6r blk sold
2003 R6 red sold
2001 ducati 900ss sold
1996 zx6e sold

Xbox 360 - (Mohawk Ryderz)
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

October 18, 2010, 07:14 PM

You're in the best location for stportbikes on the East Coast. (going to school, I presume?)

Take advantage of it while you can.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

October 18, 2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
You're in the best location for stportbikes on the East Coast. (going to school, I presume?)

Take advantage of it while you can.
Yup, this and then one more planned year at Tech so I'm going to be riding as much as possible, about to order some more street oriented tires as I've yet to meet another dual sporter down here so I'm not missing too much in the dirt, plus the ones I'm looking at are pretty decent on fire roads from what I hear so that's about all I do off the street.

Here's the first video, apparently the others didn't get uploaded so I'll get on that

Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

October 18, 2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokierider View Post
Yup, this and then one more planned year at Tech so I'm going to be riding as much as possible, about to order some more street oriented tires as I've yet to meet another dual sporter down here so I'm not missing too much in the dirt, plus the ones I'm looking at are pretty decent on fire roads from what I hear so that's about all I do off the street.

Here's the first video, apparently the others didn't get uploaded so I'll get on that
YouTube - Rt 421 - The Snake
Nice vid. Good pace for that bike riding two-up.

It amazes me when I see or hear of someone doing two-up on a DR-Z for any lengthy ride. I end up using all of the seat to move around on long rides. Can't imagine being stuck in one position on that 2x4 for hours. Must be nice to be young.
Unread
  (#6)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

October 18, 2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
Nice vid. Good pace for that bike riding two-up.

It amazes me when I see or hear of someone doing two-up on a DR-Z for any lengthy ride. I end up using all of the seat to move around on long rides. Can't imagine being stuck in one position on that 2x4 for hours. Must be nice to be young.
Its got the shorter gel seat too, I'm considering a pillow for the next long ride haha, I could barely sit today. One of my friends even offered his SV for the ride back but I would have had to have gone barefoot, I couldn't figure out how to fit my mx boots under the shifter.

I kept joking that she kept me out of the hospital that day, it was nice to just relax and enjoy the curves for once

Unread
  (#7)
SUPERBITCHIN'

October 19, 2010, 07:29 AM

can you house a few people come spring?

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#8)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

October 19, 2010, 10:52 AM

if you guys are looking for a place to crash then definitely, I have a pretty big apartment with plenty of couches and I'm pretty sure some of the guys in the club have houses

Unread
  (#9)
The last urrbendah

October 19, 2010, 10:57 AM

I'm going to assume that you informed your passenger of the laws regarding supermoto 2up?

You know, the "you put out in the woods" or walk back law?

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#10)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

October 19, 2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'm going to assume that you informed your passenger of the laws regarding supermoto 2up?

You know, the "you put out in the woods" or walk back law?
hahaha well since I wasn't even running a sportsman set up at that point I figured it didn't apply. I might have to write up all these laws and display them in my 17 inch rims when I get them haha

Unread
  (#11)
The last urrbendah

October 19, 2010, 11:51 AM

Gas, ass, or grass still applies.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

Unread
  (#12)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

October 19, 2010, 11:59 AM

I showed my mom this so she could see the pictures and video from the ride and first thing shes notices is "what does this one guy mean by the supermoto law?"

yup. hahah

Unread
  (#13)
The last urrbendah

October 19, 2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokierider View Post
I showed my mom this so she could see the pictures and video from the ride and first thing shes notices is "what does this one guy mean by the supermoto law?"

yup. hahah
Just tell her this is really me and it will all make sense.

<----

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

Unread
  (#14)
Lets Ride!!!

October 19, 2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Just tell her this is really me and it will all make sense.

<----

Go Hokies!!!

2007 GSXR 750 Black/Midnight Blue - sold
Unread
  (#15)
Lets Ride!!!

October 19, 2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by {SALVA} View Post
can you house a few people come spring?
There are plenty of places for people to crash down here. Many of the VTMC guys would be more than willing to open their apartments/houses for groups coming down to ride. Post up a thread when you plan on coming down and I can find out who can help.

Go Hokies!!!

2007 GSXR 750 Black/Midnight Blue - sold

Tags
drz wins, epic trip, survivedthe snake