DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 145
5 members and 140 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, Deep, GRN96WS6, MPSniper, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > After the Ride...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Southern ride report (8/9)
Unread
  (#1)
singin sweet home alabama

Southern ride report (8/9) - August 9, 2008, 03:28 PM

Whew - we had good parts, we had bad parts - but most of the route (at least what we chose to do) turned out pretty nice.

The morning started out really good. As soon as we got away from civilization I upped the pace and the lead 4 or so bikes pulled away. I had a couple minor miscues, nearly missing a turn here or there - but caught it before it really affected anyone other than me. Amazingly enough, I was able to keep us on the map.

The sweeping turns and good pavement of the first section gave way to narrow, crappy rural pavement as we made our way a little further west. I made a last second change of plans as I discovered one of my roads was actually a dirt road. I don't think anyone noticed. During this section, two or three guys peeled off - one was on a motard and was having difficulty keeping pace since his bike was topping out in the faster sections.

Heading south again, we had to deal with one of those "we at VDOT deem it perfectly acceptable to only pave one half of a lane" roads. Made for some squirrelly transitions - mostly just a little unnerving but nothing really scary. That is until we passed a trooper going the other way. I spotted him a couple hills/turns ahead and managed to cut my speed down significantly (some of the others, not so much!). He thought long and hard about turning around if you judge based on how much he slowed down. I was sure some of the tail riders just got nabbed... but everyone came out. We toned it down a bit and arrived at our morning stop: Chancellorsville Battlefield Visitor's Center.

We were due to meetup with another rider at the visitor's center, but got there too late (what with the late start and numerous stops). Decided to cut the ride in half, cut through Fredricksburg and head to Dahlgren for lunch. F'burg was a PITA - but the ride to Dahlgren was really nice - best pace of the day. Lots of traffic, but not interferring too bad.

PIZZA HUT! Oh man that was good.

Rode back the way we came; took everyone through some backroads around there and was forced to do a couple turnarounds after misremembering the map/route. Hey, I said this would be "exploring" right?

Finally get out of the woods and on rt1 - and EVERYONE BAILED!

Guess you guys didn't want to run the next road (which just so happens to be probably the best road on the ride)? It was only a few miles away. Well, I ran it myself and headed home. Everyone else jumped on I95 and went who knows where.

Hopefully the measure of a good group ride isn't how many of the original riders you have with you at the end!

Quitters!

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#2)
I got nuthin

August 9, 2008, 03:39 PM

Guess you guys didn't want to run the next road (which just so happens to be probably the best road on the ride)? It was only a few miles away. Well, I ran it myself and headed home. Everyone else jumped on I95 and went who knows where.

Hopefully the measure of a good group ride isn't how many of the original riders you have with you at the end!

Quitters![/quote]

hey man, i didnt know where we were, and toad said it was a ways to the next road. we ran whatever road we turned on back out to where we started this am. i had a great ride, and if i would have known it was a few more miles i would have stuck. i was just getting super hot and very tired of the lights. dont hate on me man, i was the videographer today. great ride dude. we will do it again soon huh??

R.I.P. Jeff Vega

1983 Honda XR80
1989 Honda Rebel 250
1983 Yamaha Maxim 750
1986 Honda Shadow 700
2002 Ducati Monster Dark 600
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
2011 HD Sportster 1200 Custom
2001 Suzuki SV 650
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Taty  
Unread
  (#3)
One of The Usual Suspects

August 9, 2008, 03:42 PM

Great ride today, was nice to meet some new people, too.

Thanks for leading again Brad, we can forgive the couple missed turns (althought the first one on Bristerburg caught me by surprise...whoa, everybody in front of me is STOPPING!!!).

Here is a link to the few pictures that I took today.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ug%209%202008/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to toadmeister00  
Unread
  (#4)
I got nuthin

August 9, 2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadmeister00
Great ride today, was nice to meet some new people, too.

Thanks for leading again Brad, we can forgive the couple missed turns (althought the first one on Bristerburg caught me by surprise...whoa, everybody in front of me is STOPPING!!!).

Here is a link to the few pictures that I took today.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ug%209%202008/

Nice pics man!

R.I.P. Jeff Vega

1983 Honda XR80
1989 Honda Rebel 250
1983 Yamaha Maxim 750
1986 Honda Shadow 700
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
2001 Suzuki SV 650
Unread
  (#5)

August 9, 2008, 03:47 PM

its all good!

It's really not all that far to 619 from where we were, maybe a few miles. I figured folks were heading home.

I wonder if you guys were ahead or behind me on 619.

Oh well, had fun. Nice pics!

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
Unread
  (#6)
One of The Usual Suspects

August 9, 2008, 03:50 PM

I really wanted to hit Joplin but it was getting a little late and I have stuff to get ready for work tomorrow. Running that way would have put Taty and I even further from home. Next time!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to toadmeister00  
Unread
  (#7)

August 9, 2008, 03:53 PM

Yep, next time... gotta tweak my route a bit. Not bad for a first run though.

Unread
  (#8)
It is what it is!

August 9, 2008, 03:55 PM

Fun ride all

Great meeting with you guys!

Thanks again Brad for Leading and Losing us....

2007 Triumph Daytona 675
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tornado675  
Unread
  (#9)
2 wheels for life

August 9, 2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8

Quitters!
and we were like where di dour leader go? .. we thought went towards 95 .. we went straight and then turned left for some more twisties .. got on to dumfries road to 66 .. great ride btw .. thanks for leading Brad .. It was nice meeting the old and the new ones damn you guys are fast .. and yea I have 4000 miles under my belt now

Only sad part is I got another reckless ticket while comin to the ride in fairfax(66) .. was following a car 88/55 ..

pics coming soon .. after I booze up a lil
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Tough guy

August 9, 2008, 04:52 PM

Good ride. Nice meeting all of you!

Enjoy!

Last edited by CamDLux; August 9, 2008 at 05:15 PM..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#11)
I got nuthin

August 9, 2008, 05:13 PM

nice pics cam, it was good meetin ya and ridin with ya today.

vids coming soon

R.I.P. Jeff Vega

1983 Honda XR80
1989 Honda Rebel 250
1983 Yamaha Maxim 750
1986 Honda Shadow 700
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
2001 Suzuki SV 650
Unread
  (#12)
SMASH!

August 9, 2008, 05:42 PM

Cool pics guys. Will def have to ride again soon.. good group. Nice meeting everyone!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
Snow Whore

August 9, 2008, 05:59 PM

Once we got into the woods the pace was nice. I kept waiting for deep to catch up and realized I was following a guy with a brake lever for a foot peg It was a good ride while I was on it. Definitely nice catching up with you guys.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dblrr900  
Unread
  (#14)
whoa preppy......

August 9, 2008, 06:00 PM

ahhh the Dahlgren Pizza hut. No one braved the crappy oyster? heh

2018 XSR700
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Z900 ABS
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)

August 9, 2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEP
Only sad part is I got another reckless ticket while comin to the ride in fairfax(66) .. was following a car 88/55 ..

pics coming soon .. after I booze up a lil
Damn Deep - you gotta realize there is a time and a place... on the way to the ride isn't it!!