DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 595
6 members and 589 guests
2blueyam, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, Heist, Nobrains, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > After the Ride...

LinkBack Thread Tools
A taste of WV - Pic heavy 56K beware
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

A taste of WV - Pic heavy 56K beware - July 5, 2008, 10:58 PM

Since the weather sucked this morning and Taty's WV ride got postponed for another day I decided to head out after lunch and enjoy the afternoon. I did get caught in a shower a couple of times and dodged several others.

I played around with holding my DSLR in my left hand and snapping some pics while riding so I could give those who haven't ventured west a little taste of whats out here. Hopefully those interested will be able to attend Tatys ride when it gets rescheduled.

I gotta work on my technique though. Riding one handed thru the twistys and trying to handhold a camera at the same time is new to me. LOL

Anyway, here's a few of the 100 or so a snapped off today.

Last edited by windblown; July 5, 2008 at 11:15 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
I'm baaaaaack

July 5, 2008, 11:01 PM

Nice pics. I was supposed to make that ride today but couldn't even if I wanted to. Glad to hear it's been re-scheduled.
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

July 5, 2008, 11:17 PM

Thanks. I figured it would be a good day to practice holding the camera while moving so I can get some pics while sweeping for a future ride.
Unread
  (#4)
I'm baaaaaack

July 5, 2008, 11:19 PM

If you're sweeping you'll be right behind me!
Unread
  (#5)
This Ain't My First Time!

July 6, 2008, 12:06 AM

Nice pics. I have been out there before, but it is so nice out there. Can't wait for the ride myself. Got the bike back online after some major surgery.

OVER? did you say "Over"? Nothing is over until we decide its over, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!!

~Blutarski~

Dodge131:
If your goal is to scrape knee within 1 mile of your house then you sir have a problem.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
P

July 6, 2008, 01:05 AM

can you please tell me what road/s that/those are??

Jah Love

2006 SV650S
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

July 6, 2008, 07:24 AM

Mostly the pics are from a mix of the main state routes Rt33, Rt220, Rt250, Rt28, RT55 etc.

The gravel road is a county road that heads to the west from Reddish knob over to Rt220.

You really can't go wrong when it comes to a twisty fix in western VA, WV by staying on state routes. Secondary state routes and county roads are hit and miss, many are great, others are goat paths. You just gotta explore around a bit to find the mix you like.
Unread
  (#8)
facebook what is that?

July 6, 2008, 07:30 AM

Nice roads as well as pics...

\O/
/ /
|\ Seattle Mariners
/ |
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to gixxernoob  
Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

July 6, 2008, 08:40 AM

Those are some good pics; I really like the eighth one down with the road behind you in your mirror...I'm guessing that wasn't intentional (if it was, how the hell did you frame it ) I wouldn't mind getting back out to WV soon. Maybe even today...
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

July 6, 2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown
Mostly the pics are from a mix of the main state routes Rt33, Rt220, Rt250, Rt28, RT55 etc.

The gravel road is a county road that heads to the west from Reddish knob over to Rt220.

You really can't go wrong when it comes to a twisty fix in western VA, WV by staying on state routes. Secondary state routes and county roads are hit and miss, many are great, others are goat paths. You just gotta explore around a bit to find the mix you like.
All good choices. You should look into to a bar mounted camera mount.

We stayed to north yesterday. We started down 42 to Parkersburg but saw the rain and turned back north.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

July 6, 2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space
All good choices. You should look into to a bar mounted camera mount.

We stayed to north yesterday. We started down 42 to Parkersburg but saw the rain and turned back north.
Yeah I hit a bit of 42 south, saw the dark cluds but it looked like I might be able to skirt to the west of them. Hit some hard rain before getting to Reddish Knob. Took a look around while up there and decided to head west more to see if I could get away from the rain.

Worked out well. The only other rain I hit was crossing into VA on Rt33. I had just finished drying out so I flipped a u-turn and made my way back north in WV. Cut back east on old Rt 55. A few wet roads but other than getting caught early I managed to stay dry.

A mount would be nice, but I sort of like the flexibility of holding the camera. I need to work on balancing shutter speed with depth of field, and judging angles when shooting from the hip. I think next time I'm going to put the camera shutter priority and shoot at around 250-500ths of a sec and see how things turn out. It was kind of fun to be able to just ride along and snap pics at various angles. I got lots of strange looks from bikers going the other way as I reached up and snapped a pic of them mid-corner. LOL

Edit: I also managed swing it to the side and cartch this 8pt forest rat. But as I mentioned earlier I'm going to have to experiment a bit with shutter speed, especially for shots to the side. Man, there's times I hate digital cameras. Too many pics!

Last edited by windblown; July 6, 2008 at 05:35 PM..