DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 573
4 members and 569 guests
car54, davidcycle, Nobrains, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > After the Ride...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Three different bikes
Unread
  (#1)
( * )|( * )

Smile Three different bikes - November 18, 2007, 12:01 PM

Over the weekend I got a chance to take out the Hypermotard for some street riding, the DRZ for some supermoto riding, and the Sikk 110 for some mini-supermoto riding.

During the off season I like to use the time to work on handling and understanding of how motorcycles react to certain things. For that I try to ride different types of bikes on different surfaces. I try to use all three bikes for some training as well...funny how on the exact same course each bike is night and day.

First bike, the hypermotard...this bike is more of a hybrid sportbike with a little taste of supermoto thrown in. To be honest, to me the combination is 90% street bike and 10% supermoto. The only real supermoto portion of the bike are the seating position and bars. This allows the input to differ from a street bike since you're much wider in the position of your arms and the forward sitting position is much different than the back and leaned forward position you'll have on a sportbike. So I took this bike out and hit some nice sweepers keeping the speeds within reason. I also took it to a big parking lot and spent some time learning it over about as much as I could before I felt I'd wear down my boots (pegs drag very easily on the hyper due to the low position) and knee sliders. The bike is amazingly agile and stable. This is the only bike I've ever felt as if I could let go of the bars while leaned over and it wouldn't fall (of course...not something I'm willing to try)

The DRZ...this is the swiss army knife of bikes...you can ride this bike anywhere...dirt, pavement, jumps...anything. I took the bike to a construction area and played around keeping the rear spinning as much as I could...just plain fun. After that, I went to a parking lot where I couldn't get enough speed to properly back the bike in so instead I used the rear brake carefully and played around sliding the bike sideways through some turns but stopped after a bit since as the tires began to warm up the off transition from braking began to stand up the bike pretty hard and I was getting a lot of studdering from the tires as well. I didn't want to risk a highside into a curb...I've already done that once and the dislocated shoulder wasn't fun
Still it was fun making a course out of the small area and riding it about as hard as I felt I could without becoming dangerous. Once I got to a point where I was barely touching the brakes and turning within inches of each curb I called it a day...although, spinning up the rear out of turns was quite a bit of fun as well. From what I hear a few tracks are going to be opening up so I'm hoping to get to a track where I don't have to worry about curbs all the time.

The Sikk 110cc...I'm still getting the feel for the bike and trying to break it in as well. So far I'm very happy with it...it's stable, power is good, and the throttle response is amazingly smooth. This bike I was getting a bit crazy when it comes to backing it in. Since I have knobbies...I just mash the rear brake and use the front bars to control the slide angle...basically the more you turn them into the turn the more angle you get...too much and you just straighten the bars and the bike comes back to you...fun fun fun! I took this bike and rode it on the dirt as well which the area I was riding is a small path where there's not much room from side to side and the path is very bumpy so it's fun when you're doing about 30+ mph (according to GPS) because it's like a constant tank slapper and it's an exercise in riding without quite being in control...but the front is light so half the time the the front wheel is just skipping over the ground which adds to the fun. Each time input is made from side to side the rear will kick out a little too

So...from three different bikes it's amazing how they each are similar yet completely different. That's what I did this past weekend...hope everyone else had some good rides as well

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
( * )|( * )

November 18, 2007, 02:53 PM

Just got back from playing around with wheelies on the Sikk. I'm not a wheelie person but it was good fun. I still have a ways to go but I can ride it out for the entire gear, now I think I need to work on getting to balance point and learning how to use the throttle to keep the bike there. Seems I could get the bike to balance point (a little scary the first few times) but I was having trouble keeping the bike at balance point. Of course, I don't think I'm going to master wheelies in 1 hour but I learned quite a bit...and damn was it fun

Chris
Unread
  (#3)
Contributes nothing

November 18, 2007, 03:40 PM

hey punkass, how bout you call or PM a friend when you're gonna take the drz and play in the dirt!!! good write up, glad you're finding ways to have fun in the "off" season, and I'm jealous of that Sikk minibike!

-Craig

Confusing the issue, since before you were ugly.

Woody: i'd probably bang her if she didn't look like a man

spud: yeah, i was checking out dicks
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to yzl337  
Unread
  (#4)
( * )|( * )

November 18, 2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzl337
hey punkass, how bout you call or PM a friend when you're gonna take the drz and play in the dirt!!! good write up, glad you're finding ways to have fun in the "off" season, and I'm jealous of that Sikk minibike!
Sorry...it was last minute sorta...right now there are a few things going on that will allow us to ride some real supermoto once they work out. Local tracks and possible an actual supermoto (pavement/dirt) track as well. Right now everything is still being worked out so I'll let you know.

The sikk...is sick Great bike to learn wheelies on...all I have to do is mash the throttle in 2nd and it wheelies nicely. I can't wait to get it out at All-Sport next Sunday

I'll keep you posted no worries!

Chris
Unread
  (#5)
No! You!

November 18, 2007, 07:06 PM

Yes, but can you wheelie on your lawn mower.

Seriously, nice write-up.

Miami Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexxx
I slapped him in the forehead for being vulgar (I'm a lady, dammit).
Unread
  (#6)
( * )|( * )

November 18, 2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami
Yes, but can you wheelie on your lawn mower.

Seriously, nice write-up.
Hum...it is 4.0hp

Chris