DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 561
4 members and 557 guests
davidcycle, Deep, dubplaya, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > After the Ride...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Thursday Night Baltimore Scouting Ride - Popped on way home
Unread
  (#1)
Derpentine Dealer

Thursday Night Baltimore Scouting Ride - Popped on way home - July 12, 2008, 11:43 AM

Debated about mentioning that I got ticketed for 86 in a 65 in MD on I-70 thursday night at about 11 pm. You know how it is, embarrassing. Happened just east of the exit for Rt 97. I know among the first questions will be (with a shrug and puzzled look) the question "why?", implication that the trooper who was parked on the right shoulder with his SUV turned off had absolutely no chance of catching a zx10r already moving by at 86 mph. No chance of catching a rider intending to elude that is.

Believe me, I was tempted. First time I have ever been tempted to elude. I don't mean it just crossed my mind. I was doing calculations, planning escape routes, down-shifting, twisting the throttle. But then reason came riding in (on a Harley ) and reminded me that I have publicly opined that speeding is a civil offense, whereas running is a moral offense. I knew pulling over would mean a hefty fine and possibly a reckless. But I did it. I was polite, cooperative, and took my $290 ticket. Trooper was the same. No lectures, no sarcasm, no platitudes, just business. I think he was surprised, nay shocked, that I pulled over. Now I'll visit the court to see what we can do about points because I think this is a nasty one.

I don't pass judgement on those who elude. I understand the temptation now better than ever. However, it's just not for me.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.

Last edited by OrangeShirtDude; July 12, 2008 at 11:45 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

July 12, 2008, 11:48 AM

Ouch, 5 point offense? If your record is clean go for a PBJ...Probation Before Judgement. Basically they'll tell you to stay offense free for probably 2 yrs, and the points will never get posted, or they might reduce. MD is in a budget crunch so they'll want your $$ so I doubt you'll get a fine reduction.

I70 is pretty heavily patrolled. I always keep it at 19mph over or less, on 495, 270, 70, 695 etc.

Last edited by morsetaper2; July 12, 2008 at 11:50 AM..
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

July 12, 2008, 12:07 PM

Wait a sec. I thought peeps get tickets in VA only. LOL
I'm so not going with you on Sundays ride. hahahahaha
And sorry u got busted.
Unread
  (#4)
Groping is a skill...

July 12, 2008, 12:07 PM

You're a bigger man. I would have been like "bye bye", especially on a liter bike! I hope you don't get in much trouble for doing the right thing.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Derpentine Dealer

July 12, 2008, 12:47 PM

I'm going with "I respect the law" when I see the judge. I won't mention anything about that I could have ran. I got caught doing something wrong, and I don't expect to get a reward for not doing more wrong things on top of it.

It can really seem like a dilema, this question of running. What do you get for pulling over? Pretty stiff punishment so it's very tempting to bolt and avoid it. However, if look at it from the perspective that freedom itself is the reward for doing the right thing, then it's a bit easier to resist the temptation. Each day we hop on the bikes is a blessing.

BTW, just so noone's confused. I still like going fast and I say fack yo grandma speed limits. This is just a discussion about pulling over once busted.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#6)
Contributor

July 12, 2008, 03:14 PM

Sorry that you got popped. I hope you get a break in court. Good luck.

2006 Yamaha R6
2008 Zuma YW50

Semper Fi
MARRC Cornerworker
NESBA #707
CCS AM #991
www.marrc.org
www.cornerspeed.net
www.rnrcycles.com VA
www.trianglecycles.com NC/VA

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/27068503@N05/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Lucky  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

July 12, 2008, 06:21 PM

weak

good luck in court...thanks to insurance premiums the points scare me so much more than fines do
Unread
  (#8)
singin sweet home alabama

July 12, 2008, 10:19 PM

That $290 would be staying in my pocket.

Fack yo SUV!

No moral issues here - its all about circumstances, if I can easily escape (i.e. - there won't really be a true chase)... well, cya!

wtf is po po doing in SUV anyway? Budget crunch and they're driving gas guzzling SUVs with gas at $4+ a gallon?

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#9)
VTMC Rider

July 12, 2008, 10:43 PM

I got a reckless in MD probably about a year ago(in a car) neglected to prepay it so I went to court arrived 5 minutes late and to my pleasure found out that MD budget hurts so bad they couldnt pay the cops the overtime to go to court

everyones case got dismissed that day, you might get lucky. go to court

Riding is good for the soul
- Honda CBR 929rr
- Ducati 1198s
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to MegaTorch7 Send a message via AIM to MegaTorch7  
Unread
  (#10)
Derpentine Dealer

July 12, 2008, 11:45 PM

Some dot commers discussed waiting 'til the last minute and then asking for a new court date. Apparently you can reschedule twice, according to the discussion. Then you show up hoping the cop is sick of showing up to find you not there and skips it.

I don't know though. I don't have the balls to elude so I wonder how I'll do playing the system.

Unread
  (#11)
Unprofessional Ryder

July 13, 2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude
Some dot commers discussed waiting 'til the last minute and then asking for a new court date. Apparently you can reschedule twice, according to the discussion. Then you show up hoping the cop is sick of showing up to find you not there and skips it.

I don't know though. I don't have the balls to elude so I wonder how I'll do playing the system.
Got pulled over for 85 on I270 before Exit 4.....in late-May.....plan to do the same thing mentioned above.....couple of buddies have done it a few times.....

However....considering how 'invisible' and 'hideous' your TAG was....I would have bailed without a doubt.....but everyone has their own judgement.....

06 CBR600rr (Sold)
07 REPSOL (Present)
Unread
  (#12)
GP Racer

July 13, 2008, 04:08 PM

best of luck in court
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
Spike

July 13, 2008, 04:17 PM

I'm glad you didn't run!!! Sorry you got busted, that DEF sux! Maybe the Trooper will be cool and not oppose it getting dropped lower or something!

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#14)
It was me.

July 14, 2008, 02:48 PM

Sorry to hear about this. Hope it gets reduced.

Mohawk Ryderz Road Captain
www.MohawkRyderz.com

"We drop sukaz!"

-
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GwgOmlI0ht.../s400/byah.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Widow Maker  
Unread
  (#15)
Banned!

July 14, 2008, 03:03 PM

dude, that sucks man, sorry

you made the better call of pulling over regardless.

wtf were you scouting for? a night ride?...lol