DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 576
5 members and 571 guests
2blueyam, 2wheelin, davidcycle, GRN96WS6, HenryW
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > After the Ride...

LinkBack Thread Tools
"The Underwear ride" Nothing but a memory now. After Ride Report
Unread
  (#1)
Give me the Ban Button!

"The Underwear ride" Nothing but a memory now. After Ride Report - December 17, 2007, 05:39 PM

With one last check of the weather service, I decided it was time to get going. When I left my house at 9:30 am, the temperature was barely one degree above the freezing point and the cloud cover was thick. There would be no need for sunglasses or a tinted visor today.
The driveway was dry, along with the road in front of my house; a good sign that the roads were willing to accept our mid-December assault on them. It took what seemed like forever for my bike to warm up while it took no time for me to get cold.

Even with my three layers of pants and three shirts under my jacket, it seemed as though it was going to be a miserable day. I set out to do a quick scouting mission of the route that we would be riding in just a couple hours. I hadn't been on my bike in over a month and felt I needed to knock off the cobwebs before leading a group on what could turn out to be the longest 15 miles any of us ever had ever ridden.

The route was clear. All the roads were dry and the sand had all been pushed off to the sides of the road. Knowing the roads were safe for all who were going to attend left my biggest fear for the day nothing but a distant distraction. It was then time to make a mad dash back to the Pan Am shopping center to meet those who were going to be brave enough to ride on this bone chilling cold day.
I was running late since it took me 15 minutes longer than usual to get suited up. I picked up the pace on the ride to Pan Am, the whole time wondering how many, if any, would actually show up to ride. To my amazement, I pulled in to find ten riders already there waiting for me. I was shocked at the very least that this many people would already be there. When I started running the names through my head of those that said they would join us, I realized there could be another eight bikes on their way. The time was 11:30 - kickstands up in 30 minutes. It was about this time that two friends rode in wearing nothing but their boxers and t-shirts! The crowed loved it and many commented on how crazy they were.
At 11:45, it was time to let the group (that had grown to a mind-boggling 25 bikers and 2 cars) know what the plans were and give them the rules of the ride. Moved by the number of people that had made it out, I took the time to thank all of them for their support and thank those that had helped me along the way to make this happen. As soon as the clock struck noon, we started to line up and get ready to start the ride.
We made it the first stop sign and I looked over to realize JohnnySpeed was going to be my wingman and Dodge was going to be my sweeper. A sense of relief came over me knowing that I was going to be flanked by someone with so much riding experience and have another watching my back. I looked over at Johnny and said "I have never led a group ride before." He smiled and said, "Well now is as good a time as any to start."

All the planning and all the work by so many people come down to this moment. All I could think about was, "slow off the clutch, you don't want to kill the bike that will be leading 25 bikes out on to this ride." The ride went faster than I imagined it would, and I wasn't cold at all. The thought that 25 of my friends would brave the 35 degree weather to help complete strangers warmed me from the inside. When we arrived at Starbucks we were met with happy, smiling faces and high-fives were exchanged between all of those that had ridden. Before you could bat an eye, the back of a pickup truck was full of underwear. We all joked and talked for a few minutes and warmed up. Everyone got a chance to meet the representative from Reston Interfaith who was amazed by the turn out. By this point many other people had driven to meet the riders and to make donations of their own. 40 plus people were there at the end.
"Crazy and Stupid." I've heard those words a lot over the last 3 weeks. Many people thought I was crazy for thinking that people would come out and ride in the cold; stupid for thinking of even riding in that type of weather with a winter storm front just hours away. Well thank you to the many people that braved the weather and threw caution to the wind. This event was nothing less than a huge success; some riders rode more than 50 miles just to do this short 15 mile ride. People that couldn't make it donated money and goods for the cause.
In the end we donated 193 packages of under garments for a total of 890 garments. "Go big or go home" is an motto we use quite often and this group "went big" in a huge way. We will never know how many needy people we helped that day. What we do know is that as a group we came together and suffered the frigid day and looming weather to give to those that need our help the most. I thank each and every one of you that came out from the bottom of my heart. The end results would not have been achieved with out all of you! The memories of this ride are all we needed to warm ourselves up after we put the bikes back in the garage for the last time of 2007.

Crazy, yes, by all accounts this was a crazy idea. Crazy enough to work. It worked because in the end we were all just crazy enough to help others!

Dan "Nubbs" Sugrue

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#2)
Tough guy

December 17, 2007, 06:11 PM

Great job Dan!
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#3)
Officially a Ninja

December 17, 2007, 06:13 PM

Big +1. I won't speak for everyone, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself and was truly glad that we were able to help so many folks out. Great way to end my time in DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch
We need to have a sucking contest!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to bluebusa07  
Unread
  (#4)
Asstastic

December 17, 2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamDLux

Great job Dan!

Nice avatar Cam!!! Haaaaa!!!!!

Thanks again Dan.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...844F779ADF89CA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNDlf6hA6TY

Michael Collins: You are the baddest mo-fo low down around this side of town!!
Whip some ass!!
B.J. Penn: Sho-nuff!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
It is what it is!

December 17, 2007, 06:28 PM

Great job Dan!

I'm so happy that all worked out well!

It was great watching all you guys arrive at the SPOT at the end of the ride

2007 Triumph Daytona 675
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tornado675  
Unread
  (#6)
God Made Me Wrong

December 17, 2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado675
Great job Dan!

I'm so happy that all worked out well!

It was great watching all you guys arrive at the SPOT at the end of the ride
+1

Nubbers, you should be nothing but proud of yourself for getting this together in such a short amount of time.

Congrats to you, everyone who rode, and everyone who donated.

"Always question those who are certain of what they are saying." - Elie Wiesel

When the time comes to leave, just walk away quietly and don't make any fuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch
Why does SnoopDogg carry an umbrella?...Fo' drizzle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper
Stop putting shit in my papusa!
When people I don't even know don't like me, I figure I'm doing something right.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Bexxx Send a message via AIM to Bexxx  
Unread
  (#7)
You meet the nicest

December 17, 2007, 09:46 PM

Strong!

The local press should get a hold of this.

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#8)
Has an idiot exemption

December 17, 2007, 10:09 PM

Nice job Nubbs!

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#9)
I'm so tired

December 17, 2007, 11:32 PM

Crazy? I like the sound of that. Count me in. Oh wait...I'm already there.

Great job Dan.

Myke
- 2015 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle
- 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S
- 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
- 1999 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
- 2001 Suzuki DR650 (Sold)

R.I.P. my friends;
Karl Michael "Dragula" Meckenberg
Greg "BamBam" Walker
Jeff Vega
Totnac
Unread
  (#10)
Firebreathing VTwin

December 18, 2007, 12:49 AM

sorry I missed out on that one, I know I had seen the "underwear ride" posts. Just kinda passed over them.

If I had known it was leaving from Vienna and only 15 miles, I'd have bought some drawers to donate then gone and borrowed my Pop's GoldWing.

Never even met you Dan but thats an awesome story. I hope you (all) feel good knowing that you could really help in a needed and personal way.

MARK DIEDERICH
Love the one you've got...
Cause you might get run over, or you might get shot.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

December 18, 2007, 09:20 AM

Good job Dan! When is the next one?!

M.A.R.R.C. Cornerworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHiriser
It takes a special kind of crazy to stand on a corner/on track dodging motorcycles for free.
Unread
  (#12)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

December 18, 2007, 09:26 AM

Great write-up. I hope to be able to make the next one.
Unread
  (#13)
Loves Sporking

December 18, 2007, 12:37 PM

Excellent idea, well-executed. I am sorry I was unable to join.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#14)
Retired

December 18, 2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRydr
Crazy? I like the sound of that. Count me in. Oh wait...I'm already there.

Great job Dan.
I have your t-shirt from the ride. I'll bring it with me to the spot on Thursday.

2007 Ducati S4Rs
Recognized by .net as the #1 choice for poor gays worldwide.
Unread
  (#15)
Groundhogs can play dead

December 18, 2007, 01:22 PM

I wish I could have been there for the whole thing! , Dan!

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to