DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 634
4 members and 630 guests
car54, davidcycle, Nobrains, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > After the Ride...

LinkBack Thread Tools
WV 26-28 Sept
Unread
  (#1)
Herndon's Finest

WV 26-28 Sept - September 29, 2008, 10:01 PM

My girlfriend and I went riding with some of the people over at sport-touring.net over the weekend. It was the annual ESTN meet, and was centered in Marlinton, WV this year.

We left the house at about 11 on Fri, and took some scenic routes down route 29, 42, 39 and 219 through VA/WV. Started raining about an hour after we left, and never really let up until about 45 minutes before we arrived in Marlinton (about 250 miles). Got checked into the hotel as soon as we got there, and started meeting some people. Decided to go out to dinner into the town. Found a nice restaurant where we learned that mac and cheese was a veggie.

Got back to the hotel and just about everyone had arrived. About 65-70 people showed despite the threat of rain. Many people were from PA/VA/OH, but some people had come from as far as Florida and Ontario, Canada. At this point we realize that the camera was still sitting on the counter in the kitchen...damn! Luckily, Amy's phone has a decent camera on it.

Got up on Sat morning to cloudy skies and wet roads. Lef the hotel a little after 9 after eating some breakfast. We decided to just wear the rain stuff from the start, which turned out to be a great decision. About 30 minutes into the ride it starts to just rain on us. There were several different rides for people to do, and I went with a route that took me torwards Radford/Blacksburg. I went to school at Radford and hadn't been back since I graduated. We took lots of back roads including 219, 42, 311, 658, 652 and the blue ridge parkway. Rained the whole day and I was having trouble finding my comfort zone with the slick roads and Amy on the back. Both the front and rear tires stepped out a couple of times in some of the tighter turns. Parts of the Blue ridge parkway were almost unridable because of the fog. Many miles were done well below the speed limit of 45mph and with the hazards on.

After 350 miles and 10 hours we were back in Marlinton. Suprisingly, there was only one bike that went down during the day. Rider was ok, but the bike landed hard on the left side and killed the alternator. Unfortunately, it was one of the guys from Canada so he needed to find a vehicle to rent to get him and the bike home.

There was a group dinner saturday night, and I won a door prize of some Joe Rocket summer gloves. Got back to the rooms and drank some beer out in the lot late into the night just BSin' with all the other riders.

Left on Sunday morning, to bright sunny skies and dry roads. Took some scenic routes up though routes 39, 33, and then slabbed some up to Winchester, and took 7 the rest of the way back to Ashburn.

Just a hair under 1000 miles for the weekend and lots of good riding despite the rain. Met lots of great people and will be looking forward to next year. The C14 did very well, aside from the traction of the tires, but everyone had issues with that this weekend.

Heres a picture on top of the blue ridge parkway with one of the guys from the STN group:

That was the only one that was resized, the rest are here if anyone is interested:
http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...2/ESTN%202008/

Jim

03 Subaru Legacy wagon
08 Subaru Tribeca Limited
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to J.R.  
Unread
  (#2)
I'm so tired

September 29, 2008, 10:45 PM

Those are great photos. They are making camera phones better and better every day.

This is my favorite photo. Pop or Soda...you pick.

Myke
- 2015 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle
- 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S
- 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
- 1999 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
- 2001 Suzuki DR650 (Sold)

R.I.P. my friends;
Karl Michael "Dragula" Meckenberg
Greg "BamBam" Walker
Jeff Vega
Totnac
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Crackdays for everyone!

September 30, 2008, 06:32 AM

looks like a good time despite the weather. And I just regristered for sport-touring.net site. Thanks!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ZX-Matt  
Unread
  (#4)
Pfffft...

October 1, 2008, 09:43 PM

That must've been cool to be able ride with your girl. I already got my girl to take the msf course. Now we are looking for a bike for her. She wont let me go alone overnight to another state hahaha. Soooo got to teach her.

2008 GSXR-600
2005 SV650S Naked Streetfigther (Sold)
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

October 1, 2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavoSV
That must've been cool to be able ride with your girl. I already got my girl to take the msf course. Now we are looking for a bike for her. She wont let me go alone overnight to another state hahaha. Soooo got to teach her.
My girlfriend/fiance/now wife loved to ride 2-up with me, but she also wanted to ride by herself. So, she took the NOVA 2 1/2 day course, and she then bought a RC51. She has loved it since the moment she got it!

Celebrate freedom, honesty and excellence!
Unread
  (#6)
Herndon's Finest

October 1, 2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavoSV
Yeah, Amy loves riding. She was actually talking about riding her bike, but then there was rain in the forecast, and she hasn't ridden in the rain yet, so she just rode on the back. Maybe next year she'll ride hers

Jim

03 Subaru Legacy wagon
08 Subaru Tribeca Limited
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to J.R.  
Unread
  (#7)
Pfffft...

October 2, 2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikkant
My girlfriend/fiance/now wife loved to ride 2-up with me, but she also wanted to ride by herself. So, she took the NOVA 2 1/2 day course, and she then bought a RC51. She has loved it since the moment she got it!
My girl just took took the course a few months ago. Now all thats left is the bike.

2008 GSXR-600
2005 SV650S Naked Streetfigther (Sold)