DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 493
5 members and 488 guests
2blueyam, beatle, GRN96WS6, nootherids, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
2008 tire opinions please
Unread
  (#1)
I was sleeping

Question 2008 tire opinions please - June 14, 2008, 09:46 PM

so theres no threads on tires in 2008 that i could find so please help and give your opinions ... i have an 03 r6 that has the original tires that i need to replace soon.. i dont use the bike to commute.... looking for tire to be sweet in the twisties.. THANKS...

KEV~
NESBA # 401
2002 Honda 919
2003 Yamaha R6(05-09 SOLD)

MARRC Safety Crew - www.marrc.org
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Dirty  
Unread
  (#2)
I was sleeping

June 14, 2008, 09:50 PM

oh and the cheapist place to get ---again thanks.

KEV~
NESBA # 401
2002 Honda 919

Unread
  (#3)
Contributor

June 14, 2008, 10:47 PM

Well I am sure that the racers will have takeoffs that you can grab cheap. I have been researching and the Diablocorsa III is popular choice for street/track. Again tires come with alot of advice but you should research the net and talk to to the local shops. Johnny at Devil Dawg hooked me up recently for $80.00 bucks. I had my bike back in just a couple of hours and that was because I had to wait on a ride! If you hit VIR I imagine there will be a fair amount of vendors.

Good luck.

2006 Yamaha R6
2008 Zuma YW50

Semper Fi
MARRC Cornerworker
NESBA #707
CCS AM #991
www.marrc.org
www.cornerspeed.net
www.rnrcycles.com VA
www.trianglecycles.com NC/VA

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/27068503@N05/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Lucky  
Unread
  (#4)
I was sleeping

June 14, 2008, 10:52 PM

dont want take offs i want to just go with new. good idea tho thanks.

KEV~
NESBA # 401
2002 Honda 919

Unread
  (#5)
Contributor

June 14, 2008, 11:03 PM

Well my suggestion wasn't just to get take offs but rather to tell you that you should ask some of the guys really putting them to the test. Take offs were a personal choice to dodge the expense of new tires for next couple of months. I would still suggest you look at the Diablo III. Hope you find something that makes you happy and confident.

2006 Yamaha R6
2008 Zuma YW50

Semper Fi
MARRC Cornerworker
NESBA #707
CCS AM #991
www.marrc.org
www.cornerspeed.net
www.rnrcycles.com VA
www.trianglecycles.com NC/VA

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/27068503@N05/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Lucky  
Unread
  (#6)

June 14, 2008, 11:06 PM

Michelin Pilot Powers. Worth every penny.

Fairfax Cycles is a good option for you in Fairfax. Gonna run you $120ish/front, $160ish/rear. They are across the street from Patriots HD, back in there, google them. They charge $40 per wheel to be mounted and balanced. Total roughly $360. Call ahead to order the tires. Be specific with the dimensions of tires you want!

You can get tires cheaper ordered through websites(kneedraggers.com,indysuperbikes.com,etc) delivered to you. But after delivery fees are assessed the price difference is negligible.

Also because you have an 2003 R6, I'd recommend you go with a 120/70 in the front(stock is a 120/60). Yamaha changed the factory tire size in 2005 to the 70. You'll get better handling with it.

DON'T BECOME A STATISTIC!
Ride a Kawasaki.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

June 14, 2008, 11:24 PM

I've been using Pilot Power 2CT. I don't really know why. They are not worth it for the street. Pilot Powers are good enough. Really, just get a sport riding tire from any brand you want and you will be happy. They are all good. The difference among them will be very small.
Unread
  (#8)
I was sleeping

June 14, 2008, 11:29 PM

cool , keep the advice and opinions coming..

KEV~
NESBA # 401
2002 Honda 919

Unread
  (#9)
( * )|( * )

June 15, 2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyinVA
Well my suggestion wasn't just to get take offs but rather to tell you that you should ask some of the guys really putting them to the test. Take offs were a personal choice to dodge the expense of new tires for next couple of months. I would still suggest you look at the Diablo III. Hope you find something that makes you happy and confident.
Take offs are not ideal for the street, you'll never get them to temp...especially Michelin take-offs. You can ride them however, unless you are used to them they are not a good choice. Again, will they work yes...I'm just saying they are not ideal unless you know how they work.

The only take-offs I'd recommend are a soft to medium compound and avoid Michelin take-offs. Michelin race tires are very temperature sensitive.

Personally, I'd recommend the Corsa III's and a lot of people will recommend the Michelin Pilot powers. Either one is a good choice...but keep in mind there are others.

I'm putting the Conti Force tires on my Supermoto and my friend got 7000 miles on his CBR1000RR so they not only grip (he's a pretty fast rider) but last a long time. I can't comment because I've never ridden them but he speaks highly enough that for me I'm giving them a try. Check online for deals.

Good luck

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#10)
Licensed Rider

June 15, 2008, 02:42 AM

is there a tire out there that would last around 10,000 miles or more AND give at least 80% of the grip that a Michelin Pilot Power would?

Currently I run brand new Pilot Powers (the non 2CT, namely they dont come in my size in the rear and normally I dont corner that often when I ride to work). How many miles should I expect out of my Pilot Powers on a CBR600?

So far I love the Pilot Powers alot. There's definitely a good amount of grip for a street tire. I race cars in both street and race slicks so I can understand the similarities when it comes to street and race compounds for a bike. Unless you are really sliding the rear around on the street (which I think that's fairly insane since I dont have the skills to do that yet on a bike, only in cars), I dont know what tire would give you that much more grip than a race tire.

I've heard good things about the Dunlop Qualifiers and the Pirelli Diablos Corsa IIIs, are there any other street tire that delivers the similar levels of grip as the Michelin Pilot Powers and the other 2 tires I mention for just everyday street riding?

Keefe
Unread
  (#11)
Nubbs ban yourself!

June 15, 2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenonk
is there a tire out there that would last around 10,000 miles or more AND give at least 80% of the grip that a Michelin Pilot Power would?

Currently I run brand new Pilot Powers (the non 2CT, namely they dont come in my size in the rear and normally I dont corner that often when I ride to work). How many miles should I expect out of my Pilot Powers on a CBR600?

So far I love the Pilot Powers alot. There's definitely a good amount of grip for a street tire. I race cars in both street and race slicks so I can understand the similarities when it comes to street and race compounds for a bike. Unless you are really sliding the rear around on the street (which I think that's fairly insane since I dont have the skills to do that yet on a bike, only in cars), I dont know what tire would give you that much more grip than a race tire.

I've heard good things about the Dunlop Qualifiers and the Pirelli Diablos Corsa IIIs, are there any other street tire that delivers the similar levels of grip as the Michelin Pilot Powers and the other 2 tires I mention for just everyday street riding?
I use to run Pilot Powers and now M3's. I never had a problem with the Pilot's I just didn't like the profile. They are V shaped so when you lean they fall over pretty quick, the M3's are more round so no sudden changes.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#12)
Knee Draggin!

June 15, 2008, 06:55 AM

I would go with the the Conti Sport Attack... I've try all the tire out there IE M3,2ct,corsa III, d208, powers. To me their one of the best. I got a set ship to my door for 240 dollars... You can't beat that.... Here's the link

http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/mer...de=SportAttack

The Conti Sport attack feel allot like the 2ct, and the powers.

Also here's a nice write up on the tires.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews...-sport-atk.php

Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyR6
so theres no threads on tires in 2008 that i could find so please help and give your opinions ... i have an 03 r6 that has the original tires that i need to replace soon.. i dont use the bike to commute.... looking for tire to be sweet in the twisties.. THANKS...
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

June 15, 2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan55
I would go with the the Conti Sport Attack... I've try all the tire out there IE M3,2ct,corsa III, d208, powers. To me their one of the best. I got a set ship to my door for 240 dollars... You can't beat that.... Here's the link

http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/mer...de=SportAttack

The Conti Sport attack feel allot like the 2ct, and the powers.

Also here's a nice write up on the tires.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews...-sport-atk.php

Stan
I would second that. Although I think the Road Attacks would be enough tire for an older 600 and provide more life. I didn't click the link but it think the article above was the road Attack. swmototires.com rocks, I have been using them for years. 2 weeks ago I ordered my tires on Monday and Tuesday they were at my house. Just do NOT ask Blaine any questions
Unread
  (#14)
Knee Draggin!

June 15, 2008, 08:59 AM

Here's the wrte up on the Conti Road Attack.

http://www.canyonchasers.net/reviews...oad-attack.php

Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space
I would second that. Although I think the Road Attacks would be enough tire for an older 600 and provide more life. I didn't click the link but it think the article above was the road Attack. swmototires.com rocks, I have been using them for years. 2 weeks ago I ordered my tires on Monday and Tuesday they were at my house. Just do NOT ask Blaine any questions
Unread
  (#15)
( * )|( * )

June 15, 2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenonk

Conti Force tires...the ones on my friends CBR1000RR are nearly round even with 7000 miles. And he goes edge to edge all the time and loves them.

After seeing that and talking to him (he's ridden them on the track as well) I'm sold.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year