DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 535
2 members and 533 guests
Slider, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Almost died today
Unread
  (#1)
What's today? aah fuck it

Almost died today - April 21, 2006, 12:21 AM

Well, maybe not exactly "almost died", I just felt like saying that. And it wasn't today, it was yesterday. I just didn't get a chance to post it yesterday. But it was quite a RUSH!

This is strictly for educational purposes b/c I would like to know how to power slide properly (I will practice this more on the track of course).

Let me set the premise first: This was on a one-way road. Road was completely clean of debris, and no change of elevation or bumps, and plenty of run-off space. Fully leaned and traveling at a high rate of speed. (also look at diagram below to help illustrate this)

I wasn't purposely trying to do what I'm about to describe, but at the rate of speed and the angle of lean...it just happened. What I was trying to do was widen my point of exit. My brain couldn't figure out this feeling at the time, but it was like I was floating/sliding to the right while I was leaning left. It felt like both tires were doing this. I went from the left over to the middle of this road. Then I quickly shifted my wait to the right (against the turn) to bring the bike back up as I exited the turn. Carnage was somewhere behind me, I'll let him add/comment on what he saw. He later told me that it looked like I was going to low side b/c it looked like the bike was on its frame sliders. lol

Was this a power slide? If so, I want to know how to go about learning how to do it, instead of it happening unexpectedly.

This obviously happened inadvertently. Tips and advice are welcome, but please spare me the lecture of not doing this on the street. I'm aware of that! I wasn't trying to do it on purpose and I'm not going to try to practice it on the street.

I want to know is how to properly do it. Enlighten me...

powerslide.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Site Admin

April 21, 2006, 12:37 AM

not sure?

glad ur ok.
Unread
  (#3)

April 21, 2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipnDuc
not sure?

glad ur ok.
I was never in question of being ok.

but i wanna learn how to do it on purpose!!!

Last edited by ---> Venom <---; April 21, 2006 at 05:37 AM..
Unread
  (#4)
Repping WPNR is Tennessee

Location: GOOD OL' ROCKY TOP...ROCKY TOP TENNESSEE...GO VOLS!!!!!!!!
April 21, 2006, 06:00 AM

Damn bro......good shit.....I THINK....I wanna learn too....but if you dont do it right......I am thinking either instant HIGHSIDE or real bad LOWSIDE.

RIP...Karl Michael "Dragula" Meckenberg WE MISS YOU BUDDY!!!

WulfPakRydaz- Strength in Numbers

Cause thats how we roll......
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to PimpD  
Unread
  (#5)

April 21, 2006, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacKat
Well, maybe not exactly "almost died", I just felt like saying that. And it wasn't today, it was yesterday. I just didn't get a chance to post it yesterday. But it was quite a RUSH!

This is strictly for educational purposes b/c I would like to know how to power slide properly (I will practice this more on the track of course).

Let me set the premise first: This was on a one-way road. Road was completely clean of debris, and no change of elevation or bumps, and plenty of run-off space. Fully leaned and traveling at a high rate of speed. (also look at diagram below to help illustrate this)

I wasn't purposely trying to do what I'm about to describe, but at the rate of speed and the angle of lean...it just happened. What I was trying to do was widen my point of exit. My brain couldn't figure out this feeling at the time, but it was like I was floating/sliding to the right while I was leaning left. It felt like both tires were doing this. I went from the left over to the middle of this road. Then I quickly shifted my wait to the right (against the turn) to bring the bike back up as I exited the turn. Carnage was somewhere behind me, I'll let him add/comment on what he saw. He later told me that it looked like I was going to low side b/c it looked like the bike was on its frame sliders. lol

Was this a power slide? If so, I want to know how to go about learning how to do it, instead of it happening unexpectedly.

This obviously happened inadvertently. Tips and advice are welcome, but please spare me the lecture of not doing this on the street. I'm aware of that! I wasn't trying to do it on purpose and I'm not going to try to practice it on the street.

I want to know is how to properly do it. Enlighten me...

Attachment 3908

OH AND ...

Unread
  (#6)
Owner & Creator

April 21, 2006, 06:15 AM

I witness it.

Carnage and Blackat together on a ride is never good
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

April 21, 2006, 06:21 AM

The limits are very close to the edge, hhahaaa. I watch the pros at Daytona and Sears Point back in the day and these guys slide around the whole turn, I mean literally like a car in the snow, controlled and beautiful.

On the street is goofy, too many varialbes, cuz like I said you are right at the limit. Glad you made it through and I am sure you will get even better on the track.

Props to ya.

Can't choose between the R1 and the 10R so I am keeping both but settled with an 1198S when I came home

Keep it up!!!!!!!
Unread
  (#8)

April 21, 2006, 06:25 AM

True...that's why I'm not going to try it learn that on the R1 anymore (not that i was trying to do it on purpose in the first place)

i hope the camera man at summit T10 gets me on rapid shutter incase i highside

time to fix the gixxer...i don't care about the gixxer!

Last edited by ---> Venom <---; April 21, 2006 at 06:28 AM..
Unread
  (#9)

April 21, 2006, 06:30 AM

YEAH YOU HAVE BEEN SAYING YOU ARE GOING TO FIX IT....BUT NEVER DO...and you never bring it over

Unread
  (#10)
( * )|( * )

April 21, 2006, 06:35 AM

Sliding isn't as hard as you think...get a set of diablo corsas and go to the track and you can pretty much slide them at will...either by backing the bike in or pinning the throttle (at the apex) the reason I say corsas is that they slide in a very predictable manner, you can really get the bike loose if it's very hot out.

I like to practice sliding both tires on my dirt bike, the dirt tends to allow you to get the bike sideways with little effort and since it's so easy to throw the bike into corners sideways it's great practice and when you fall the bike usually does not get banged up too bad.

Careful sliding around on the streets...run off and emergency aid is not as available as it is at the track.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#11)
Retired to most ...

April 21, 2006, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage R1
I witness it.

Carnage and Blackat together on a ride is never good
Ehhh, you're both slow ....

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#12)

April 21, 2006, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
Sliding isn't as hard as you think...get a set of diablo corsas and go to the track and you can pretty much slide them at will...either by backing the bike in or pinning the throttle (at the apex) the reason I say corsas is that they slide in a very predictable manner, you can really get the bike loose if it's very hot out.

I like to practice sliding both tires on my dirt bike, the dirt tends to allow you to get the bike sideways with little effort and since it's so easy to throw the bike into corners sideways it's great practice and when you fall the bike usually does not get banged up too bad.

Careful sliding around on the streets...run off and emergency aid is not as available as it is at the track.
cool....thanks!

and yea...i'm not trying this on the street
Unread
  (#13)
( * )|( * )

April 21, 2006, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacKat
cool....thanks!

and yea...i'm not trying this on the street
From the sound of it, I think you'd have a blast on a set of Corsas on a hot day...

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer

April 21, 2006, 06:50 AM

You know this brings up a good point about tires.

My 218's were very good at limit (let me tell you my limit is no where near the tires). I put a pilot Power on the rear and I do not really like it. It seems to slide in most corners and I am not used to that. Seems like the PP are more prone to it, maybe I should lower the pressure some, just not impressed with the PP.

Sorry to jack your thread.

Can't choose between the R1 and the 10R so I am keeping both but settled with an 1198S when I came home

Keep it up!!!!!!!
Unread
  (#15)
Owner & Creator

April 21, 2006, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpD1!
YEAH YOU HAVE BEEN SAYING YOU ARE GOING TO FIX IT....BUT NEVER DO...and you never bring it over

He's going to end up bringing it to my house most likely lol.