DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 551
5 members and 546 guests
GRN96WS6, nootherids, Scot, stan55, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Bad stator?
Unread
  (#1)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

Bad stator? - May 16, 2008, 01:51 PM

Battery is not charging.Does this look like a bad stator?

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Fun Lover or lover of fun

May 16, 2008, 06:51 PM

Only way to test is via a continuity check. And depending on how many different windings you have, you have to do it correctly.

R.I.P. Eric. You were truly like a younger brother to me. May you live on in all those you helped and reached out to help. You are truly missed!

tfinch: well, actually, if he did, that's fine cause it's in the pockets!
tfinch
: Mike, can you feel bubbles floating around in there?

tfinch: Bubbles! Yes! Gurgly bubbles!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Timultuous  
Unread
  (#3)
Firebreathing VTwin

May 16, 2008, 06:57 PM

yeah you'll need to check for winding resistance and insulation breakdown.

Everything should be outlined in the manual.

What are your symptoms that led you to suspect the stator?

MARK DIEDERICH
Love the one you've got...
Cause you might get run over, or you might get shot.
Unread
  (#4)
Meh

May 16, 2008, 07:13 PM

I would always suspect something else before that. Did you test the voltage coming out of it when the bike was running...? That is the easiest thing to do first.
Unread
  (#5)

May 16, 2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch
I would always suspect something else before that. Did you test the voltage coming out of it when the bike was running...? That is the easiest thing to do first.
Hooked up a voltometer to the (new)battery when the battery was fully charged and I would watch the voltage take a dive like Sidney Crosby.I've replaced the battery,rewired the harness and replaced the R/R.I have already ordered a new stator,I couldn't figure out the testing procedure from the manual.I'd rather just replace the usual suspects than take the time trying to diagnose when I have no clue what I'm doing.

Can anyone look at that pic and get suspicious of it?

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#6)
Firebreathing VTwin

May 18, 2008, 12:54 PM

whoa whoa put away the credit card and take out the multimeter...

Throwing money and parts at electrical issues is always a bad way to go about trying to fix them.

Get the bike back together. Get the wiring diagram and start systematically with your voltage and resistance checks. A visual check on an electrical component can only get you so far.

I usually find the service manual electrical checks to be fairly straightforward. Just do them all in order as listed.

MARK DIEDERICH
Love the one you've got...
Cause you might get run over, or you might get shot.
Unread
  (#7)

May 18, 2008, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieder
whoa whoa put away the credit card and take out the multimeter...

Throwing money and parts at electrical issues is always a bad way to go about trying to fix them.

Get the bike back together. Get the wiring diagram and start systematically with your voltage and resistance checks. A visual check on an electrical component can only get you so far.

I usually find the service manual electrical checks to be fairly straightforward. Just do them all in order as listed.
Yeah,I totally get you,but I'm an idiot and an even bigger idiot when it comes to electrical issues.Just easier for me to replace stuff and hope I get lucky.

Unread
  (#8)
Licensed Rider

May 18, 2008, 01:53 PM

are the coils black on the left side on that pic
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to p[aintball4ly  
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

May 18, 2008, 02:33 PM

The dark coils indicate more heat than usual. Meaning more than likely the stator or stator wires are shorted. Not sure if this stator is a three phase stator but the test are really easy to do with the stator installed.

But no sense in testing now since you are buying a new one. Good luck with it.
Does your bike also have a rectifier? You should replace both the stator and rectifier.
If you replace the stator and the old rectifier is bad, you will blow your new stator.
Just a though.
Carry on.
Unread
  (#10)

May 18, 2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trireme
The dark coils indicate more heat than usual. Meaning more than likely the stator or stator wires are shorted. Not sure if this stator is a three phase stator but the test are really easy to do with the stator installed.

But no sense in testing now since you are buying a new one. Good luck with it.
Does your bike also have a rectifier? You should replace both the stator and rectifier.
If you replace the stator and the old rectifier is bad, you will blow your new stator.
Just a though.
Carry on.
Yeah,got a new battery and rectifier/regulator.

Unread
  (#11)

May 18, 2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p[aintball4ly
are the coils black on the left side on that pic
More like chocolate