DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 454
4 members and 450 guests
2blueyam, boomboom929, car54, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Bike positioning
Unread
  (#1)
Meet your Maker

Bike positioning - August 30, 2009, 08:15 PM

I have heard different takes and have been trying to consiously try different positions to feel best. When in full lean and knee down do most of you weight your foot on the outside peg. I feel like a lot of times my weight is on the inside peg. Next time I go out I will see what works the best.

I am ready to meet my maker but is my maker ready for the ordeal of meeting me...
Looking for a Race Bike
------------------------------------------------
NESBA #199, Roger Lyle #199
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l...ut18/2-2-1.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MikeyB  
Unread
  (#2)
2 wheels for life

August 30, 2009, 08:42 PM

Outside Peg/Inside peg
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

August 30, 2009, 09:00 PM

Outside peg once the turn is initiated. If you've got your weight on the inside peg it's probably because you don't trust your outside leg to hold you on the bike (at least that used to be my problem, LOL)

Weighting the inside peg is a nice way to powerslide coming out of a corner though.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Meet your Maker

August 30, 2009, 09:09 PM

I am usually on the inside peg and even with the R1 if doesnt get loose coming out.

I am ready to meet my maker but is my maker ready for the ordeal of meeting me...
Looking for a Race Bike
------------------------------------------------
NESBA #199, Roger Lyle #199
http://i331.photobucket.com/albums/l...ut18/2-2-1.jpg
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MikeyB  
Unread
  (#5)
Go slow to go fast...

August 30, 2009, 09:29 PM

Usually you want the majority of your weight to be on the inside peg. Not really sure why or how you would put your weight the outside peg?

Tony
1-12-2010
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RRonin  
Unread
  (#6)
I got nothin....

August 30, 2009, 09:36 PM

geometry...outside peg equals better traction....means you can use more power coming out of the turn.....which means faster lap times.... simple

Ride NAKED or Ride Dirty
Xbox live: declaredmental
Unread
  (#7)
RIP Jeff Vega

August 31, 2009, 08:06 AM

You will get conflicting responses on this. From what I've learned through classes is, weight the inside on turn in and the outside on exit. If you hang off the bike too far, it's impossible to weight the outside peg. It really comes into play when your rear tire breaks away and starts to slide. By weighting the outside peg, it helps the bike regain traction. If you weight the inside peg more, your putting more force on the rear tire and thus will spin more.

But take this with a grain of salt cause I'm slow and have a hard time weighting the outside peg too. Take the cornerspin class...you will learn all of this, plus what to do when you push the front, what it feels like and most importantly, you will crash lol.
Unread
  (#8)
Nubbs ban yourself!

August 31, 2009, 08:31 AM

My comments aren't about inside/outside vs traction but I will say hanging from the outside leg vs putting all your weight on the inside leg definitely feels better and helps with fatigue. When I am doing it I feel so much more relaxed in the turn, if I am on the inside peg hard my leg gets tired superfast!
I know very quickly if I am doing it because I get tired so much faster. Getting the form right may take a while and sometimes by the time I do it is too late and my inside leg doesn't even want to work enough to initiate a turn!
I will leave the traction physics to people who know and need it LOL I am too slow for that part to matter!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#9)
T.R.I.T.D.H

August 31, 2009, 08:31 AM

most from talkiong with guys/gals only weight the outside peg IF they feel the tire starting to or already has broke loose....

I weight the inside....play around with weighting the outside...

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#10)
highways are boring

August 31, 2009, 10:22 AM

The inside/outside peg weighting will affect the bike's center of mass (your body position also affects the center of mass). The center of mass will determine how much throttle you can give at a certain speed/lean angle. Either can be used depending on the situation, there is no "right" answer to this.

When you are at or near the limits of your tires' traction for a given speed and lean angle, weight on the inside peg will cause your rear tire to slide and weight on the outside will help keep it planted or regain traction after it starts to slide. On the track the main goal is to go fast, so on the exit of a turn you want to get to full throttle as soon as possible to get a good drive...this usually involves weighting the outside so that the rear doesn't break loose. However, if your line is running wide, you may want to weight the inside peg so that your rear will slide on purpose to help alter your line and point you where you need to go.

If you are not at the limits of traction, you may or may not notice a difference between weighting the inside/outside peg, but one may be more comfortable or less fatiguing. Inside weight will usually help hold a tight line and outside weight will usually straighten up your line, but YMMV.

+1 for cornerspin!!!! It's a blast road racing on 8hp dirtbikes, and the effects of peg weighting are much more noticeable. You will definitely learn a lot about how many different inputs can affect the way the bike handles. If (when) you go beyond the bike's tration limit at 20mph on the dirt it won't hurt as bad (or cost as much) as exceeding the limits on a racebike going 100mph.
Unread
  (#11)
TPG - screw face

August 31, 2009, 10:41 AM

inside peg

outside peg

Unread
  (#12)
Track Ho

August 31, 2009, 11:06 AM

depends where your head is, I weight the outside peg, if I weight the inside I feel like I drift out.....but that is just me

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"
Unread
  (#13)
TPG

August 31, 2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway View Post
inside peg

outside peg

he purposefully is weighting the inside peg to get the back end to slip, when he gets near the edge of the track he shifts the weight to the outside to stop the slide
Unread
  (#14)
AMA Superbike Champ

August 31, 2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrownw View Post
he purposefully is weighting the inside peg to get the back end to slip, when he gets near the edge of the track he shifts the weight to the outside to stop the slide

Looks like me entering 495 in the morning.

'08 CBR 600RR
'04 CBR 600RR track
www.MohawkRyderz.com
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MatDady1  
Unread
  (#15)
See the mouth and the eye

August 31, 2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch View Post
The inside/outside peg weighting will affect the bike's center of mass (your body position also affects the center of mass). The center of mass will determine how much throttle you can give at a certain speed/lean angle. Either can be used depending on the situation, there is no "right" answer to this.
I would say that you body position is used to change your center of mass and that which peg you weight is an effect of your body position. How can you weight the outside peg when your leaned over and your upper thigh is supporting your weight? Attempting to weight the outside peg would mean that you would need to take the weight off of your outside thigh in order to transfer it to the peg, in turn changing your body position.

I would focus your effort more on body position, because again that will determine where the weight is transferred from side to side across the bike.

-Mark

2007 Yamaha RVI (sold, treat her nice Chris)

MARRC Cornerworker

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dv/dt