DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 560
3 members and 557 guests
GRN96WS6, Slider, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Brake Fingers...Stop Sooner
Unread
  (#1)
ATTN INVESTORS!

Brake Fingers...Stop Sooner - July 13, 2006, 09:15 AM

Ever ride with your fingers covering the clutch/brake? I used to do this all the time and kinda got out of the habit except in traffic or when I thought something was coming up where I would have to react quickly.

Something to think about: At 60 MPH, saving one second of reaction time will allow you to stop 88 feet sooner.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rekoniz  
Unread
  (#2)
I got dis!

July 13, 2006, 09:18 AM

Unless I'm a wide open road where no cars are within a couple hundred feet of me I always keep the brake covered.

- Matt

Quoted from AIM. A conversation with Dwight about him and Ben.
"cpsdwight: i couldnt believe that i was keeping him up"

Harvey - "I can't date fat chicks man, there's just too much material there. Someone's gotta be thin in the relationship and it's obviously not me."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Drgnfiend Send a message via AIM to Drgnfiend  
Unread
  (#3)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
July 13, 2006, 09:23 AM

Unless Ive got the throttle pinned the brake is covered. I tell everybody I help learn how to ride to do it to. Even one finger is better at stoping than none.

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Retired to most ...

July 13, 2006, 09:25 AM

I've almost always got 2 fingers resting on the brake and 1 on the clutch.

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#5)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

July 13, 2006, 09:36 AM

For some reason I'm a freak. I almost always have 3 fingers on the brake lever.

Downside for street folks...if you haven't adjusted your suspension to give good feel/feedback...then you would be more prone to tucking the front during trailbraking if you are unconsciously tensing up in a precarious situation. (Not realizing you are doing it.)

JMO

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

July 13, 2006, 09:44 AM

Good reminder..88 feet is a lot of distance.

2006 Black ZX-10
Unread
  (#7)
Lurking

July 13, 2006, 09:54 AM

I was taught to always cover with 2 fingers in MSF course, some reason it is real uncomfortable with 2 so sometimes I just use 1, but never uncovered and that is for clutch and brake.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CrazyDaDa  
Unread
  (#8)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

July 13, 2006, 10:20 AM

If it takes yo a full second to let go of the grip and press the crakes in an EMergency situation, then you have the reflexes of a snail.

But that is interesting.. 88 feet seems like a long way?

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#9)
I got dis!

July 13, 2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdacoolest
I was taught to always cover with 2 fingers in MSF course, some reason it is real uncomfortable with 2 so sometimes I just use 1, but never uncovered and that is for clutch and brake.
Really? When I just recently took the MSF they didn't want us to cover the brake at all. The clutch yes, but not the brake. Obviously this is because they're afraid that some that are less familiar with the controls might grab the brake by accident and dump the bike. I specifically asked about this because I'd heard from others that they took points off on your test if you were covering the brake.

- Matt

Quoted from AIM. A conversation with Dwight about him and Ben.
"cpsdwight: i couldnt believe that i was keeping him up"

Harvey - "I can't date fat chicks man, there's just too much material there. Someone's gotta be thin in the relationship and it's obviously not me."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Drgnfiend Send a message via AIM to Drgnfiend  
Unread
  (#10)
noise

July 13, 2006, 10:30 AM

1 finger on clutch and brake for me all the time.

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."
Unread
  (#11)
ATTN INVESTORS!

July 13, 2006, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
If it takes yo a full second to let go of the grip and press the crakes in an EMergency situation, then you have the reflexes of a snail.

But that is interesting.. 88 feet seems like a long way?

Maybe just the motion of adjusting your grip might not take a second if your thinking about it, but realistically, in a real life situation during the unexpected....by the time your brain rekoniz's the danger and you react...you're most likely looking at about a second. And yes, 88 feet is a lot...but accurate. Even with cat reflexes like yours , half a sec is still 44 feet. Thats still a significant difference in keeping something in front of your front tire rather than behind your rear.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rekoniz  
Unread
  (#12)
Lurking

July 13, 2006, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgnfiend
Really? When I just recently took the MSF they didn't want us to cover the brake at all. The clutch yes, but not the brake. Obviously this is because they're afraid that some that are less familiar with the controls might grab the brake by accident and dump the bike. I specifically asked about this because I'd heard from others that they took points off on your test if you were covering the brake.
Well, I took it '98 so it may have changed, but the key is reacting quicker. You may have pretty quick reflexs, but think about it. Any wasted motion is going to cost time, it takes more time to grab the brake and squeeze the brake then to just squeeze the lever. Maybe not a lot, but when you need to slow down quick to avoid something half a second or even a quarter of a second can make a world of difference (44, 22 feet). Just my opinion though, have had too many cars, deer, people, etc jump out in front of me when I scanned well ahead of me and saw nothing.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CrazyDaDa  
Unread
  (#13)
BOOOORING

July 13, 2006, 10:56 AM

i think it is important to point out that draping is for street purposes, if you use it. I do not.

Cornerspeed Riders School & Cornerspin School-"Roadracing in the Dirt"
Unread
  (#14)
( * )|( * )

July 13, 2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrf4269
i think it is important to point out that draping is for street purposes, if you use it. I do not.
Street I drape especially around cars...track I do not drape at all...in that scenario it would probably lead to more bad than good.

Good thing to practice panic stops at least a few times a year.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#15)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

July 13, 2006, 11:10 AM

I don't do drape at all, but I am quick like puma and dumb like ox.

But that was an interesting bit of information.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi