DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 488
4 members and 484 guests
2blueyam, boomboom929, car54, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Buying first Motorcycle
Unread
  (#1)
Squiddie gotta lean!

Buying first Motorcycle - June 6, 2007, 11:27 AM

I should have my license on Saturday and I'm looking to buy my first bike. Used of course. I'm actually going to be checking a few SV650's out over the weekend.

I wanted to ask you guys, what kind of things should I look out for? What questions should I ask? Should I be worried if the bike has too many mods?

STI W00T
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
June 6, 2007, 11:39 AM

SVs are great bikes all around. Try to look for as few mods as possible. Try to take some one that knows bikes pretty well along with you also. If you have the cash on hand let your buddy hold it to slow you down on an impulse buy.

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
Unread
  (#3)
Owner of the Site Owner

June 6, 2007, 11:40 AM

II. You are most likely NOT too tall/short/fat/skinny/ugly/good-looking/etc to ride a bike.

A. If you're unsure if a bike will fit you, then go sit on one. That's the easiest way to find out whether or not you should be riding it.

B. If you've still got your heart set on a bike, even though it's too short, then there are always ways to shorten the ride height.

III. There are no bad beginner bikes. It all depends on how much respect you have for the bike and how much control you have over your ego. You will find that bikes with smaller engines and/or twins have throttles that are MUCH easier to modulate. Grabbing a handful of throttle won't get you into trouble as quickly as a big 1000cc bike. That being said, look into getting an older ('80s and '90s) bike, mostly because insurance premiums are lower and there is more aftermarket support available.

IV. Buying a bike - you're not just spending money on a motorcycle. You also have to buy insurance, PROPER gear that fits (if you're unsure, go try on some gear!), and have a little money on the side for incidentals (new tires, battery, whatever), just in case.

A. Financing - No, you're not going to get as good of a financing deal through a motorcycle dealership than an automobile dealership. There is less overhead for dealerships, and more people are likely to default on a motorcycle loan.

B. Try a credit union if you have access. They can usually get you lower rates.

C. If you absolutely must use a credit card, then be prepared to pay it off quickly. CC's usually have very high interest rates.

V. You WILL drop the bike. It may be at a standstill or while moving, even at 5mph. Be prepared! A cheaper bike will be less costly to repair and proper gear will help to prevent you from getting injuries. Plenty of people on this board have the battle scars to prove it.

(added on 11/3/03)

VI. Insurance - You have basically two choices: liability or full coverage. No matter what you ask or we reply, you should ask your insurance agent for a quote. Just because I'm paying $xxx for insurance does not mean you'll get the same rate. It depends on what bike you ride, where you live, your age, and various other factors. If you're financing, you NEED to have full coverage! Just ask around on this board...a few members' bikes were stolen, but they still have to make payments.

Does this answer all your questions? If not, then maybe you shouldn't be asking it! But seriously, this should answer most of your questions. If not, please ask, but at least make an attempt at the "Search" feature.

http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

-

I tow 747s

"gixrB: I like it hard, with a lot of feel"
Unread
  (#4)
Railin????

June 6, 2007, 12:41 PM

Just buy my SV. Call to come look at it.

'05 SV650S w/M1 Sportec's and JUST INSPECTED!!!! - $4600

-Apple
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8vgumby
Sorry, not all of us bobsledded out of our mother's crotch with a craftsmen tool set strapped to our foreheads.
RIP Eric Wynn (TheIrishGuy) I miss you brother!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Apple  
Unread
  (#5)
Squiddie gotta lean!

June 7, 2007, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the advice guys and sorry Apple I think that bike is just a tad too yellow for me.

STI W00T
Unread
  (#6)
Too Fat To Be Fast

June 8, 2007, 06:58 AM

The SV650 is a fantastic bike and perfect for someone getting into the sport.

I actually wouldn't be too afraid of how many mods are on the bike. Just what the mods are. I'd be all over a use bike that had a pipe and jet kit (first gen) or PowerComander (second gen) and some braided brake lines. I'd stay away from bikes that have light kits on them... But that's just me.

BTW... Just when you think you're out growing the bike in the future, take it to the track and watch the (advanced) SV riders run laps faster you thought possible. I should know, I was about 1-2 seconds slower (over all, not per lap) on my TLR than the SV (first gen) I was trying to keep up with in my last race (different race class though). Little F'er was fast!

Cheers,
Bern
13 Ducati 1199
06 Ducati PS1000LE
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BurnCycle  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

June 8, 2007, 07:05 AM

If you finance a bike, get gap insurance (if they offer it). Sucks to lose a bike and the insurance doesn't cover the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95  
Unread
  (#8)
Que se jodan!!

June 8, 2007, 07:08 AM

Buy a Hayabusa - they're great first bikes!!!

Whisper
"Speak quietly and carry a big stick."
2014 BMW S1000RR
2006 GSXR 1000 - Street (Sold)
2005 GSXR 1000 - Track (Sold - I hate you, Paul)
2010 YZ250F -Motocross in Mexico (I still hate Yamahas)

Men are qualified for civil liberties in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their appetites: in proportion as their love of justice is above their rapacity...Society cannot exist, unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere; and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters. ~Edmund Burke, Political Theorist and Philosopher

Some of us are lions, but even lions can be crushed under the elephant of bad management.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whisper  
Unread
  (#9)
Squiddie gotta lean!

June 8, 2007, 10:46 AM

Well the bike I'm going to be checking out tomorrow is a 2003 Naked SV650 with 12000 miles. Here are the mods that the guy listed in the ad:

Handelbars
mini fork fairing
rear tire hugger w/ chain gaurd
undertail
New mirrors carbon fiber ( not installed )
Cluch and brake levers carbon fiber
Gel seat
foot pegs
frame sliders
Yoshimura TRS full system
Power commander
Plus a few other things....

STI W00T
Unread
  (#10)
Squiddie gotta lean!

June 9, 2007, 09:08 PM

I checked out the naked SV today. It sounds nice and has some pretty decent mods done to it. But it's been dropped and has the scratches to prove it. Although the scratches aren't on the frame itself but on the fairings and the exhaust, nothing too serious. But we'll see I'll take the weekend to think about it and decide of this is what I want.

Thanks again to you guys for your help.

STI W00T
Unread
  (#11)
Derpentine Dealer

June 9, 2007, 10:29 PM

ALWAYS ask if the bike has been sitting. Ask if it sat without being ridden all winter. If so, ask if fuel stabilizer was added and run into the fuel system. Ask if a battery tender was put on (if the bike sat w/o being ridden). MC batteries don't recover well after going dead. If the bike sat unridden for a few months, you may have problems with the varnish that has formed from deteriorated gas in the fuel system. Only starting it up a few times and letting it idle doesn't do much good. The bike has to be ridden or else properly stored.

You should also check brake pad thickness, tire wear, how dark the oil and brake fluid are. Take a look at the coolant appearance of any water-cooled bike you consider. Check the drive system for wear. Is the chain rust-covered or does it look clean and lubed? You want to know what kind of miscellaneous expenses loom on the horizon. Some sellers will take you for a test ride 2 up. Some will let you test ride with cash in hand to secure the deal should you spill.

Most important, take your time. There are lots of bikes out there. Choose wisely.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#12)

June 10, 2007, 10:15 AM

Here is an awesome post that pretty much says it all when buying a used bike.
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2597
*Its pretty long

-Jongo