DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 486
4 members and 482 guests
2blueyam, boomboom929, car54, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Customize seat using the stock pan?
Unread
  (#1)
no one's blowing up moons

Customize seat using the stock pan? - September 2, 2012, 02:15 PM

I'm looking to build a custom seat and I need some advice/suggestions. I just got a 2010 triumph Bonneville and found this Corbin Motorcycle Seats & Accessories | Triumph Bonneville & T100 | 800-538-7035. I like the look and functionality. I want to build the 'trunk' onto the stock seat pan and re-shape the existing foam to make a single seat.

I hope to do this using fiberglass (I found several Internet how to's) although I haven't used it before. If the rear housing finishes out properly I would bolt it to the existing pan.

It almost seems to easy so I must be missing something. What did I leave out?

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

September 2, 2012, 03:04 PM

It is a lot harder to do then it looks. And to get clean function perfect lines on a new 2010 bonny I would just bend over and pay the money for it.

Making things at home even being a perfectionist is hard to get that kinda quality from a first attempt fabrication.

I made this seat shown below and it took a LONG time and a shit load of patience/sanding.
Since Dutch says there is no more moto content.
Unread
  (#3)
No more 1050 :(

September 2, 2012, 08:22 PM

Have heard a lot of good things about the guy at Flash Intro Page or something like that... he uses your stock seat pan and reshapes it for you.. no personal experience.
Unread
  (#4)

September 3, 2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluhokie12 View Post
It is a lot harder to do then it looks. And to get clean function perfect lines on a new 2010 bonny I would just bend over and pay the money for it.

Making things at home even being a perfectionist is hard to get that kinda quality from a first attempt fabrication.

I made this seat shown below and it took a LONG time and a shit load of patience/sanding.
Since Dutch says there is no more moto content.
I'm not a big person and would use about half of the seat that Corbin would charge me about 750 for. Not really so custom after all. Don't see a reason to pay that much for something to fit that doesn't. I got time, especially for something that actually works for me for a change.

I'm looking for info on working with fiberglass. Do's and Don'ts from someone with experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz1050 View Post
Have heard a lot of good things about the guy at Flash Intro Page or something like that... he uses your stock seat pan and reshapes it for you.. no personal experience.
Thanks for the link and good to know they're out there but I'm looking to do more than re-shape and re-cover the foam.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz

Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

September 3, 2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam@dcsf View Post
I'm not a big person and would use about half of the seat that Corbin would charge me about 750 for. Not really so custom after all. Don't see a reason to pay that much for something to fit that doesn't. I got time, especially for something that actually works for me for a change.

I'm looking for info on working with fiberglass. Do's and Don'ts from someone with experience.

Thanks for the link and good to know they're out there but I'm looking to do more than re-shape and re-cover the foam.
PM me with location. I can assist with it and shoot the shit if you are close by to Ashburn. Just have a 6 pack to split. Lot of stuff is hard to give info on unless its in front of you.
Unread
  (#6)

September 4, 2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
PM me with location. I can assist with it and shoot the shit if you are close by to Ashburn. Just have a 6 pack to split. Lot of stuff is hard to give info on unless its in front of you.
I'm in Old Town Alexandria but I'm not nearly ready to start this yet, still planning.

I don't have a garage or other work space so I'll be doing this in the parking lot out back. That's why I'm trying to organize all the info so that I'm buying the right materials and have everything ready on the day. No having to stop for a trip to the hardware store, etc.

I've googled and spent time watching youtube so I've seen versions of the process but no one talked about sources for materials or which companies products were better. Also there wasn't any info on safety or disposal issues, anything like that.

Physics always wins

Quote:
unintentional accidental

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3

Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

September 4, 2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I'm in Old Town Alexandria but I'm not nearly ready to start this yet, still planning.

I don't have a garage or other work space so I'll be doing this in the parking lot out back. That's why I'm trying to organize all the info so that I'm buying the right materials and have everything ready on the day. No having to stop for a trip to the hardware store, etc.

I've googled and spent time watching youtube so I've seen versions of the process but no one talked about sources for materials or which companies products were better. Also there wasn't any info on safety or disposal issues, anything like that.
I do a write up with materials when I got some free time
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

September 4, 2012, 08:33 PM

SO here is the write up with materials I used.

Stuff to buy or at least think about buying.
1.You will need the following safety gear.
-Gloves
-face mask(doesnt have to be expensive but it will help stop inhaling dust/fumes)
-earplugs(if you are going to need to grind)
-goggles help keep any sanded material out of eyes

2 Materials
-flowers foam to make the cowl shape
-cardboard for the seat base to shape on top of
-spray adhesive to glue the flower foam together
-Fiberglass matt. There are two types that you can easily pick out at AA or Autozone or pepboys. There is a smoother type that looks more like carbonfiber weave but white and a more fiberish stringy type. I have had mixed results with each.
- Smooth type- less sanding however doesnt fill/move to areas to build strength as much
-fiberish - moves around when applying resin.

As a first time fabricator I would recommend using the smooth one that looks like white carbon fiber.

You are going to need some kind of fiberglass resin or gel. I used the resin and it worked out well. Do not over mix the hardener to the resin or it makes it much harder. Patience is key and saves a lot of sanding later on. Bubbles make life a bitch later on so watch it dry and pop any bubbles that are seen. You will need multiple throwaway paintbrushes to apply the hardener and gel.

Some sort of cloth/ fleece works well to wrap the flower foam. This is the underside mold that will be tossed after the first matt/resin layer. Wax the shit out of the fleece to make the layer pull away easy.

Take a lot of time making the first base foam layer as once you resin/mat it, it will likely be destroyed.

You will want to do multiple layers of Matt and resin to build strength

You will need to buy bondo to smooth out the surface and give it a clean look.
Tape measure to check angles/ make sure everything is even for a factory look

3 tools you will need.
-file to shape the foam
-knife to take off large chunks of foam
-electronic sander/ grinder to fix oops and shape
-grinder./dremel to shape seat after and cut off excess
-drill to make mounting holes.

A lot of sanding is going to be needed for a factory finish along with a lot of paint prep primer paint coat and clear coat. Sand more then you think

When you paint the bondo/glass mix make sure you use self etching primer then an auto primer.

Wet sand a lot for a smooth finish.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Another hint is to put bike up at a completely neutral lean angle so that the seat while in sanding shaping stage can be made even.

If I think of anymore I will add to this but ask questions that you are not clear on.

A garage is really needed IMO.

Last edited by bluhokie12; September 4, 2012 at 08:35 PM..
Unread
  (#9)
watch this!...

September 4, 2012, 09:53 PM

a guy at the shop i used to work at that did the paint for us made this cafe seat/tail from the stock 1976 cb750 seat pan.

the "lumpy" looking part looks better than in that pic, it was actually symmetrical and turned out good. he cut and flared and bent the stock metal pan then glassed the rest of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me n bike.jpg (104.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg me.jpg (99.7 KB, 12 views)
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

September 4, 2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1is2many View Post
a guy at the shop i used to work at that did the paint for us made this cafe seat/tail from the stock 1976 cb750 seat pan.

the "lumpy" looking part looks better than in that pic, it was actually symmetrical and turned out good. he cut and flared and bent the stock metal pan then glassed the rest of it.
IMO the seat needs to drop .5 inch to meet the lines of the tank.
Nasty bike though.
Unread
  (#11)

September 5, 2012, 07:08 AM

bluhokie12 - Great write up. Now I have an idea of where to get materials and you've already settled the question of doing more than one layer of fiber.

Were there any products you used that you wouldn't use again? (poor quality, etc)

Physics always wins

Quote:
unintentional accidental

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3

Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

September 5, 2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
bluhokie12 - Great write up. Now I have an idea of where to get materials and you've already settled the question of doing more than one layer of fiber.

Were there any products you used that you wouldn't use again? (poor quality, etc)
For the most part everything I used worked out well except for the stringy layer of resin. I ended up just pulling the mat all around and creating a mess. I would use the more sheet like mat to avoid that.

Pretty much everything you will need can be bought in one trip, but you will have to get more stuff. I would buy extra of everything and just return what wasnt used.

Use a really cheap bristle brush to spread the resin, foam brushes just fell apart.

I will try and think of anything else.
Unread
  (#13)
watch this!...

September 5, 2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
IMO the seat needs to drop .5 inch to meet the lines of the tank.
Nasty bike though.
it did look better than in those photos, i may have a better angle. i never really liked it but it grew on me.