DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 522
3 members and 519 guests
GRN96WS6, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
End of the sportbike for me?
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

End of the sportbike for me? - September 23, 2007, 09:35 PM

Well, the conversation finally came up. The one no one wants to hear. The one where the loved one sits you down and asks you to rethink your position on riding motorcycles.

I need some help.

A little bit of background though. Nicole doesn't mind me riding motorcycles, it's more of riding sportbikes and using their speed, as easy as it is to do, in places I shouldn't.

This all really came about after the death of Will Conti this past labor day. Seemingly unprovoked, his bike got the better of him and he lost his life. Meanwhile, Space and I were doing 20 over the speed limit ahead of him, which was well within my comfort level. I'm a pretty solid rider and I don't remember the last time I got into "trouble". I have quite a few years on Will's experience, but does that really matter?

When I told Nicole the bad news, I should have foreseen it coming. She's not the kind of girl to outright say, "Sell the damn thing", but when she shed a few tears talking about watching me pull away, and possibly for the last time, I paid quite a bit of attention to her.

She doesn't want me to stop riding motorcycles. Her suggestion was to do what I've always wanted to do and trackbike the Ninja and get a Vulcan Mean Streak or RoadStar Warrior. We know these other bikes can also go fast, but they would seem to induce more well mannered mountain carving. Plus, it would be more comfortable riding 2-up which is something we want to do more of anyway.

So what do you all think? Is changing motorcycles really going to make those heart-breaking, morbid thoughts and feelings go away, or is it just all in our heads? How do you all feel about this?

Thanks for letting me bounce this stuff off you guys.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#2)
Groundhogs can play dead

September 23, 2007, 09:43 PM

SteveZX9 is a good person to ask about all of this.
I'd love to have a conversation with you about this; typing it out online isn't the same.
I think you face the same risks of motorcycling no matter what type of bike you're riding. If you track the Ninja, you can get the speed factor out of your system there. If you get a cruiser, you'll have yet another activity that you can enjoy with your honey.
I don't think any of us will think less of you for trading motorcycles, we'll just give you shit about it because that's what we do.
I can't imagine what it's like to be on a ride with someone who goes down and doesn't get back up. I pray I won't have to deal with it, ever. I'm certain, though, that you're not the only one who has faced this decision, especially after recent events.
Good luck with your decision, Justin.

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

September 23, 2007, 10:04 PM

Nicole was worried that I would be less secure with myself riding. I think the weeks after that was true. But now that I think I'm over the initial shock, I still think about what could happen, as I always do, but the wife factor is definetly something I never really paid much attention to.

Motorcycles were part of her life growing up with her dad (an ex-motocrosser). Recently he owned 4 bikes at the same time since he met me. He wrecked his rc51 and flipped his Goldwing.

He didn't really help my situation much.

I know a lot of people on here have a wife/husband and kids. How do you all deal with the inevitable crash and potentially life changing hobby that we partake?
Unread
  (#4)
Being nice :)

September 23, 2007, 10:07 PM

As long as you're on 2 wheels, cage-free. Power to you
I wish I owned both the sportbike and the sporstcruiser. So I could match my mood.

Sidenote: Will's last name just hit me. Was he related to Ami Conti from Chevy Chase by any chance?...that you know of.

As far as balancing family life and my hobbies. Let's just say they've never mixed.

You're Welcome...

Last edited by ziggy; September 23, 2007 at 10:16 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

September 23, 2007, 10:21 PM

Yes the same Conti.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

September 23, 2007, 10:45 PM

Track your bike and get another bike for the street.

Variety is the spice of life, and getting a cruiser/motard/dirt/stunt bike will expose you to a similar but novel aspect of riding. Whatever you get, it will have a considerably slower speed 'sweet spot' than sportbikes, so it will be safer.

There is uncertaintly in riding, especially at brisk pace. Regardless of whether you ride within your comfort and skill zone, there is that extra 'unknown'. You may hit a patch of gravel or come up to another danger in a corner and crash. That's the nature of street riding. Whether you walk away or not will probably depend on whether you're lucky or not (no oncoming traffic, guardrails, etc)

I don't have a wife/kids, but I think that behing considerate of feelings and concers of your loved ones is an important aspect in making your decisions. As long as they're involved in your decision making process, you're in good shape, whatever you decide.
Unread
  (#7)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

September 23, 2007, 10:49 PM

Im no statician...but your odds (according to the latest stats) are better on a sportbike.Drive fast in a car.....sportbike....cruiser....paddle boat...whatever,if you have it in your blood....

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, its like thisA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#8)
Tough guy

September 23, 2007, 10:56 PM

I ride much more reserved on my Sport Touring bike. Its ideal for long trips, 2 up riding, and even makes riding with my cruiser friends bearable and fun. BMW RTs, Triumph Sprint, Yamaha FJR, Honda ST are all good choices.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#9)
2 wheels for life

September 23, 2007, 11:04 PM

You can keep riding ur sportsbike but once u have a ur own family to look after its better to change ur attitude towards riding .. by that I mean u shouldnt do wheelies or go fast on public roads which might be fatal( its not always ur mistakes that account for the crashes) .. if u really want to speed goto the track .. its such a safe environment ..even if u crash u dont end up in the guard rails .. donno why I was thinking aout the same question a few days back . am not married through.. premonitions I guess!!
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

September 23, 2007, 11:11 PM

Personally I think you could get in trouble with whatever bike you choose. Its more about self control than anything else. If speed is in your blood and you love corners like me. You will find your self pushing that cruizer to the limit in the corners and scraping pipes and pegs. I think thats even more dangerous. If your riding style wont change get a 400sm motard it handles better and will keep your under 100 mph. Then you could get of the streets and go on the dirt instead.
Unread
  (#11)
Being nice :)

September 23, 2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrustinJZX6
Yes the same Conti.
God Damn it !! PM

You're Welcome...
Unread
  (#12)
BIG SACK RYDAHZ PRESIDENT

September 23, 2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrustinJZX6
I have quite a few years on Will's experience, but does that really matter?
No!!!
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

September 24, 2007, 07:49 AM

Don't get a bike you won't be happy with. Don't stop riding you be happy with yourself. I agreewith Cam ST's are a good in between bike. Still fun in the twisties and pretty quick. My mom is talking about selling her BMW R1150RT
Unread
  (#14)
Have Bikes - Will Travel

September 24, 2007, 08:54 AM

I'm also quickly losing interest in riding my sportbike on the street and plan on starting to do track days next year. It's not that I stopped enjoying it but the risks and especially the costs have really dampened my enthusiasm.

Most of my street riding for the last three years has been on a cruiser and with the right cruiser (Yamaha Warrior or a lightly massaged Victory Vegas) you can still have quite a bit of fun in the twisties. As someone up thread mentioned the sweet spot speed wise on the bike is much lower than on a sportbike and I've found that the fastest I ride my cruiser is about the slowest I would ride my sportbike. I like to think of riding my cruiser through the twisties as doing brain surgery with a mallet. It's possible but you've got to swing really hard!

-Hugh

Ill believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.
http://www.twowheelsgood.net

Last edited by Rafale; September 24, 2007 at 08:58 AM..
Unread
  (#15)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

September 24, 2007, 08:59 AM

This is why I own motards now!!! KTM 690SM is your answer!

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!