DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 549
2 members and 547 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
extended swingarm Q...
Unread
  (#1)
Signed up for Track Days!

extended swingarm Q... - March 11, 2009, 08:13 AM

hey a guy on ebay is parting out a zx600c like mine...tons of parts blah blah...any case he is selling parts for cheap and hes got a swingarm in great condition. thought about getting it as a spare/maybe to extend...

what are you thoughts and the downsides of extended swingarms?
can one extend a stock swingarm or are they not safe/reliable compared to a new swingarm made longer, instead of fabbing a stock one longer?

was thinking i could extend the spare swingarm by like 6 inches and could go back to stock if desired by keeping the stock one. its like $40 OTD shipped to me.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to keebler  
Unread
  (#2)
Que se jodan!!

March 11, 2009, 08:18 AM

You'll need to wait for the experts to chime in on this one, but my understanding is an extended swingarm significantly affects the geometry of the bike, creating (among other things) a drop in the vehicles ability to execute high velocity turns.

Whisper
"Speak quietly and carry a big stick."
2014 BMW S1000RR
2006 GSXR 1000 - Street (Sold)
2005 GSXR 1000 - Track (Sold - I hate you, Paul)
2010 YZ250F -Motocross in Mexico (I still hate Yamahas)

Men are qualified for civil liberties in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their appetites: in proportion as their love of justice is above their rapacity...Society cannot exist, unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere; and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters. ~Edmund Burke, Political Theorist and Philosopher

Some of us are lions, but even lions can be crushed under the elephant of bad management.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whisper  
Unread
  (#3)
TPG - screw face

March 11, 2009, 08:18 AM

i'm answering because your avatar is who is that?

extended swingarm = the GHEY

extended swingarm = no more leans

extended swingarm = for show bikes, hill climbs (usually on dirt bikes)

extended swingarm = drag racing

oh...and it's kinda ghey.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Derpentine Dealer

March 11, 2009, 08:48 AM

Everyone knows that skinheads aren't allowed in Mohawk Town.

Not too many people on this site drag, show, or stunt so the info you'll get in these categories is quite limited.

If you want to grab it and play around with extending it, I'd say go for it. Why not? If you don't like it, you still have your original. Just make sure you get the right kind of help with any fabs and mods since you don't want any crap welds breaking under acceleration.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#5)
opossum puncher

March 11, 2009, 09:11 AM

$40 aint bad.

If its something you'd like to do you will probably have to talk to shops around the area for costs to extend, then add the cost of a new longer length chain.

If you got $40 burring a hole in your pocket I say go for it. Call up RnR, and a few other shop, if they dont extend swing arms they know who will, and can give you an idea as to $.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#6)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

March 11, 2009, 09:32 AM

You can have your swing arm boxed, welded and then stretched. What year bike is yours? With most of the newer bike you can by an extension that bolts onto the stock swing arm. It will be mostly a straight line bike if you do this and lower it. Are you going to try and fit a fatter tire also? What is your goal with this bike?

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#7)

March 11, 2009, 10:10 AM

basically it be pointless for me to do it...i know that much...especially since i wouldnt invest rediculous money into this bike, maybe another one...

i have a 97 zx600c10 (ninja 600r--c1 was 1988, 1997 was lats year c10)...(the frame is narrower than the A/B/D/E models, and has smaller rims and narrower tires lol)

110/90r16 front and 130/90r16 rear....

id do it if it were cheap just bc and bc id have the stock gear to go back to....mainly curiousity since 40 shipped on a spare swingarm why not lol.

my main worry would be cost and the quality of welds etc...im not looking to do much aside from restoration to this bike, so i can learn to ride mainly...will jet it, get sprockets and exhaust otherwise nothing major...some petty items like rearsets and levers sure, but its not worth the money pit status...bought it with 9k miles and for $750 lol...

could use fresh fairings so may go OEM or Airtech just to make it look decent, frame looks good but mild paint peel and damage ive immediately came across.

figured it would lead to less cornering ability and was more drag and show purposeful.

but thank you all...welding/boxing of swingarm is probably pricey and will run as much as the bike lol, no single item/modification needs to surpass the bikes original cost to me.
Unread
  (#8)

March 11, 2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway View Post
i'm answering because your avatar is who is that?

extended swingarm = the GHEY

extended swingarm = no more leans

extended swingarm = for show bikes, hill climbs (usually on dirt bikes)

extended swingarm = drag racing

oh...and it's kinda ghey.

lol..um i used to remember who is in the avatar...was like a popular model...and its a gif on my home computer with her shaking that rump..and the shirt coming up, yet idk how to get it to stay that way as a gif moving image...if anyone knows pls let me know bc id love to keep it like its supposed to be....HOTT....

Last edited by keebler; March 11, 2009 at 10:20 AM..
Unread
  (#9)
Derpentine Dealer

March 11, 2009, 10:46 AM

You can use animated gifs as an avatar, but they have to be quite small (usually around 10 frames or less). Your butt girl gif consists of a lot more frames than that. You just need to get your hands on a free animated gif tool that will allow you to delete frames. Then just keep the frames that loop well. You may also need to reduce the pixel dimensions.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#10)

March 11, 2009, 12:18 PM

ahh thank you...will look for that then.