DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 484
0 members and 484 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Few questions!
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

Few questions! - May 25, 2013, 08:29 AM

Curious on what others do or react in certain situations

1) When you are on the highway and you run into other bikers, do you usually join up with them while they are riding? If so what is the etiquette? Obviously no one wants a stranger riding their ass too closely. Myself I will join up with someone if im gonna be on the road for a while but im mindful of my distance since I dont know the rider.

2) When you come up to a red light or a stop, ive heard of people moving to the far right of the lane. I guess the theory is if someone doesn't stop there is a smaller chance of rear ending you? I will catch myself going to the far right at times, but most of the time I just pull up behind a car.

3) Parking your bike in a parking spot. Do you bring your bike all the way into the stall or do you leave it towards the start so cars can see your bike? I like parking my bike near the entrance of the spot so cars dont think its an empty spot.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Officially Addicted to Posting

May 25, 2013, 08:48 AM

1) They don't know you, you don't know them. There might be a cop 1/2 mile back trying to catch up to them or they're just general retards.

2) Center line usually has oil and whatever other fluids that've leaked out of stopped vehicles. The left or right lines are almost always cleaner. Irregardlessness, you should always be mindful of your mirrors when stopped. Ill pump the brakes a few times to make sure my brake lights are flashing when I see a vehicle approaching from behind

3) I leave mine to the back so people can see it before they're half way into the space

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time
Unread
  (#3)
Got my Permit

May 25, 2013, 09:04 AM

Didn't think about the whole cop aspect to be honest. Thanks for the insight!
Unread
  (#4)
Railing!

May 25, 2013, 09:29 AM

I don't mind riding with random people as long as we stay out of each others way.

I do the same as the guy above. Pump the brakes a few times and make sure the car infront of me can see me I the rear view.

The last part though I park near the front. Not sure why really. in case some other bikes are looking for parking or just less chance of getting side swiped I guess?

Here's my question though. What's with moto cops never giving the ol wave to a motorist?

2007 ZX-6R

Joshua
Unread
  (#5)
Knee Draggin!

May 25, 2013, 09:47 AM

If I see another rider and he's not going considerably faster/slower than me then I'll hang with him for a while, giving him plenty of space though. Especially if it's my early morning commute and it's dark, it's safer to travel alongside another motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenWeenie View Post
Here's my question though. What's with moto cops never giving the ol wave to a motorist?
I wave to every motorcycle cop I pass. only ONE has actually waved back.

Nothing I say is to be taken seriously.

2004 Black ZX636
Unread
  (#6)
Railing!

May 25, 2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedKing View Post
If I see another rider and he's not going considerably faster/slower than me then I'll hang with him for a while, giving him plenty of space though. Especially if it's my early morning commute and it's dark, it's safer to travel alongside another motorcycle.

I wave to every motorcycle cop I pass. only ONE has actually waved back.
I do too. I think I'm about 0 for 30.

2007 ZX-6R

Joshua
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

May 25, 2013, 10:18 AM

1. I follow depending on pace, as mentioned above a group is always safer to travel in. When we part ways I always do so with a wave.

2. When at a stop light I pump my brakes ALL THE TIME. Youtube a biker getting rear ended. I am paranoid and always check my mirrors. I am usually left of center in position.

3. I park rear tire agains a curb, otherwise I'm near the front so my bike was seen.

Cops - I have always had good experiences with cops. Waves are sporadic, but in terms of tickets none have been given. They have pulled up beside me while I'm speeding (10 - 15 over) and I acknowledge the with a nod or wave and slow down. They hold my pace and either nod back or just drive off (cager cops). Bike cop dir traffic got me for lane splitting, had me sit there for a min and talked about my bike. Then sent me on my way.

RESPECT and CAUTION, give it to your bike and surroundings. It goes a long ways.

----------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTorch7 View Post
So in summary you're a little bitch, nobody believes your bitchass about anything, you look like a bitch, you sound like a whiny bitch and you've probably been a bitch for a long time.

All I want to know, how old were you when you realized you were a bitch? or did someone else have to tell you?

The only thing you can Jocky is the keyboard, so why dont you stfu Bitch
Unread
  (#8)
Groping is a skill...

May 25, 2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
1) They don't know you, you don't know them. There might be a cop 1/2 mile back trying to catch up to them or they're just general retards.

2) Center line usually has oil and whatever other fluids that've leaked out of stopped vehicles. The left or right lines are almost always cleaner. Irregardlessness, you should always be mindful of your mirrors when stopped. Ill pump the brakes a few times to make sure my brake lights are flashing when I see a vehicle approaching from behind

3) I leave mine to the back so people can see it before they're half way into the space
This, I will also add to #2. Usually I have been taught that it's a good idea to stay in gear and be ready to slide next to the car infront of you in case you notice the guy coming up from behind you not stopping. Do I always follow this rule? Unfortunately not. Also, I want to touch you in an inappropriate way...

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
Got my Permit

May 25, 2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
Also, I want to touch you in an inappropriate way...
I like where this thread is going already!!
Unread
  (#10)
TNT
GP Champ

June 4, 2013, 04:52 PM

I had a question on the strategy for avoiding getting rear ended at stop lights. Actually it's more just about how to identify someone coming up behind you who is not going to be stopping short of your delicate posterior. Some cars have loose suspension and it's easy to see the dip in the front, but it's not very easy for me on most cars. Also, some people don't tend to use brakes until they are about 10 feet away, making me think that more often than not, they are going to rear end me. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but I have been noticing it more and more. People drive like it's a race track and they are braking hard at the last marker.
Unread
  (#11)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

June 4, 2013, 05:00 PM

I wired in a motorcycle brake flasher just do I don't have to pump my brakes at stoplights/stop signs. I'm not sure how legal they are or what the code is in Virginia but I've never failed a state inspection because of it. I'm always afraid of the elderly who are like dinosaurs and don't notice anything unless it's moving.
Unread
  (#12)
konichiwa bitches

Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
June 4, 2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilf00ls View Post
Curious on what others do or react in certain situations

1) When you are on the highway and you run into other bikers, do you usually join up with them while they are riding? If so what is the etiquette? Obviously no one wants a stranger riding their ass too closely. Myself I will join up with someone if im gonna be on the road for a while but im mindful of my distance since I dont know the rider.

2) When you come up to a red light or a stop, ive heard of people moving to the far right of the lane. I guess the theory is if someone doesn't stop there is a smaller chance of rear ending you? I will catch myself going to the far right at times, but most of the time I just pull up behind a car.

3) Parking your bike in a parking spot. Do you bring your bike all the way into the stall or do you leave it towards the start so cars can see your bike? I like parking my bike near the entrance of the spot so cars dont think its an empty spot.
1) I usually join up with them if we are riding a similar pace.....if not I will roll by. If I do roll with them I make sure to give them a good amount of space. If I am leading and they join up with me I try to make sure I clearly signal any changes of lane so there are no surprises.

2) At lights I am always in the right or left side of the lane and tend to watch the cars behind me. Getting rear ended at a light will do that to ya. Hit me hard enough and square on to lodge her bumper in the back of my bike and needed to be pulled apart with a winch.

3) I park near the front of parking spots. I am paranoid about someone swinging into a spot and knocking my bike over.

In terms of cops.......I wave at them all the time, maybe get a 1 in 20 ratio of them waving back. I look on that as a small victory every time.

I will wave to anyone on a motorcycle but still can't bring myself to wave to scooters.

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#13)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

June 4, 2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdgrphcs View Post
1)
I will wave to anyone on a motorcycle but still can't bring myself to wave to scooters.
Haha it just feels dirty doesn't it, like you're making fun of them.
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

June 4, 2013, 06:15 PM

Last cop I waved to while on a bike jumped out from his hiding spot and pulled me over. I'm sure it was the wave that pissed him off, not the speed I was traveling at.. (j/king).

I'll sometimes hang with another rider that I cross paths with if we have a similar pace going on.

I stay away from traffic and stay away from places with traffic lights.

I wave to anyone who waves to me regardless of who they are or what they are riding/driving. It's the polite thing to do and I'm a polite guy. I rarely initiate a wave though unless it's a "thanks" wave to someone who motioned me to pass or pulled out of my way cause deep down I'm basically anti-social.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

June 5, 2013, 07:58 AM

I don't hook up with other riders that I don't know. Half the time, they see a chick on a bike and all their intelligence just disappears. Best to just not bother. I let them go off and do their thing. Had one small group blow past me on 95 down near KD. I was doing ~80, so they had to have been triple digits. Tail guy slowed up, stayed next to me and waved me to join them. I just shook my head and waved him off. Sorry, not my thing... no thanks.

My lane position at a traffic light depends upon road conditions, how many lanes, whether I'm first or not... I have extra lighting for braking. People are blinded. They will not pull up close behind me. This backfires when the traffic light sensor isn't sensing me. :/ Regarding traffic behind, I watch the mirrors, lean the bike side to side and flash my rear brake. I also try not to line up directly behind the vehicle in front of me, leaving myself an escape path plus now the driver coming up behind has multiple sets of brake lights in his/her face with mine moving. I also have a light colored helmet and my textile jacket has yellow on it.

I park the bike where it's most visible, towards the open end, at a slight angle. If I don't know the other bike/owner, I will not attempt to share a spot with them.

And I return waves, rarely initiating waves. I do wave to motor officers, but that's because more than likely, I know them.

Helen
Mom of Donovan,
a GNCC and VCHSS racer

2013 Sponsors: Munn Racing, KTM-Parts.com, Sunstar, ONE Industries, 661, Sunline, Tag Metals, Cycra, Asterisk, Leatt, GoPro, Twin Air, Factory Backing and Mom & Dad

Helen's Facebook
WillowRowRacing Facebook
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SxyRdr Send a message via AIM to SxyRdr