DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 560
2 members and 558 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
First time track day--Suggestions for tires would be appreciated!
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

First time track day--Suggestions for tires would be appreciated! - August 21, 2007, 11:16 AM

I need to replace my current Michelin PPs. Also, I will be doing my first track day in a couple of weeks. So, I figured I would get some good street tires that would also work for a beginner's track day. My bike is an '06 ZX-10, and the rear tire is originally a 190/55. I would prefer to stay with the original size.

I have riddent the Michelin 2CT's, which I liked (although I have not pushed them terribly hard). I have also heard good things about the Pirelli Diablo Corsa III, but I am open to suggestions.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Officially Addicted to Posting

August 21, 2007, 11:18 AM

Metzler M3

Better start looking for a 190/55 now though. I couldnt find one when i was looking and settled on a 190/50

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time
Unread
  (#3)
B
It goes to 11.

August 21, 2007, 11:21 AM

Dunlop GPs ---> awesome tire
Bridgeston BT002 ---> VERY VERY impressed.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#4)
Loves Sporking

August 21, 2007, 11:33 AM

Bridgestone and Pirelli both make a 190/55 track tire. Either brand will work well for you, and they're great for the street too.

You're right to stick with a 55 aspect ratio...

Depending on the brand, a 50 could add enough trail to make your ZX10 steer slower on the track. All other things being equal, it's the equivalent of dropping your rear ride almost 5 millimeters. Brands differ though, so measuring the height of each on a mounted rim is the bet way to see. If you can't measure them, sticking to the same size should keep you in a tolerable range, regardless of brand.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
2004 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
2004 Aprilia 1000 Mille R (street)
2001 Aprilia 1000 Falco (street)
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (racing)
1995 Kawasaki ZX-6E (street and racing)
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#5)
Que se jodan!!

August 21, 2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPVaccaro
Bridgestone and Pirelli both make a 190/55 track tire. Either brand will work well for you, and they're great for the street too.

Depending on the brand, a 50 could add enough trail to make your ZX10 steer slower on the track. All other things being equal, it's the equivalent of dropping your rear ride almost 5 millimeters. Brands differ though, so measuring the height of each on a mounted rim is the bet way to see. If you can't measure them, sticking to the same size should keep you in a tolerable range, regardless of brand.
Johnny, you forgot to add, "as long as you respect the tire!"

Whisper
"Speak quietly and carry a big stick."
2014 BMW S1000RR
2006 GSXR 1000 - Street (Sold)
2005 GSXR 1000 - Track (Sold - I hate you, Paul)
2010 YZ250F -Motocross in Mexico (I still hate Yamahas)

Men are qualified for civil liberties in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their appetites: in proportion as their love of justice is above their rapacity...Society cannot exist, unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere; and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters. ~Edmund Burke, Political Theorist and Philosopher

Some of us are lions, but even lions can be crushed under the elephant of bad management.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whisper  
Unread
  (#6)
Mr. Glass

August 21, 2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Obi-Wan said it! +1

06 Black 10R
http://theazzman.com
http://twitter.com/azzman
"(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''(@)(@)** **** (@)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
dressing up like a fruity gangster and going to Sterling, that is like wearing a tuxedo just to go to the bathroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman Send a message via AIM to usman  
Unread
  (#7)
Loves Sporking

August 21, 2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper
Johnny, you forgot to add, "as long as you respect the tire!"
As you know, liter bikes have absolutely no respect for tires, Dan.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)
Unread
  (#8)
No bike, jus here 4 drama

August 21, 2007, 11:41 AM

Ok, I'll chime in with a question.. Aspect of 50 vs. 55.. What's the difference on the street? If the bike came with a 190/50, what will I gain/lose from going to a 55 full time? I don't do track days yet, but plan to in the future.. would like to put this knowledge in my bag for later.

"Spin"
Blue '07 R1 (CRASHED RIP)
Sponsored by Winchester Orthopedics

Not responsible if anything I say causes you to kill yourself.
Unread
  (#9)
Loves Sporking

August 21, 2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatspin
Ok, I'll chime in with a question.. Aspect of 50 vs. 55.. What's the difference on the street? If the bike came with a 190/55, what will I gain/lose from going to a 55 full time? I don't do track days yet, but plan to in the future.. would like to put this knowledge in my bag for later.
Possibly no difference, depending on brand. But if the tires were true to measurement as labeled, a 55 is a 'taller' aspect ratio (means the ratio of the sidewall to the rest of it). It's a percentage, so an extra 5% would give you a taller tire. By the way, my math was wrong in the example... 190 x 5% = 9.5 mm tire height difference. The effect of that change has a small effect on swingarm angle, but you wouldn't likely notice that. The place you might notice is the front, in the decreased rake and increased trail. It causes your bike to steer quicker, but remember that steering quickness and stability have an inverse relationship here. You might notice the subtle change in gearing and speedo as well.

For the track, I want as much steering quickness as I can handle. On my old racebike, we added ride-height to accomplish this. For the street, I'm not as willing to (and there's no need to) give-up that much stability. Having said that, I ride with my track tires full-time. One of the reasons my 1000 handles more like a 600 is that the stock tire was a 190/50. The 002 Bridgestones I run are 190/55.

I don't recommend that change to everyone, because my bike's quick steering might scare some riders. I'm just used to it, and having raced for years, my set-up is more aggressive than most street riders would want. As the saying goes, try it and you might like it. If you have a shock with ride-height adjustment, you can compensate. Just measure, measure, measure. Always know your baseline, so you'll see the effects of your adjustments more clearly. Hope this helps your bag of knowledge.

Johnny V.
CCS & ASRA #67

2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000
1986 Yamaha Radian 600
(street)

Last edited by JPVaccaro; August 21, 2007 at 12:10 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

August 21, 2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
As you know, liter bikes have absolutely no respect for tires, Dan.
It's a good thing, then, that I have respect both for the tires and the liter bike!

After about 25 years of street riding, I have learned to check my ego at the house in the morning. But I do look forward to improving my skills in a safer environment than the streets and to try the race track. I'm sure I'll love it!
Unread
  (#11)
( * )|( * )

August 21, 2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikkant
It's a good thing, then, that I have respect both for the tires and the liter bike!

After about 25 years of street riding, I have learned to check my ego at the house in the morning. But I do look forward to improving my skills in a safer environment than the streets and to try the race track. I'm sure I'll love it!
You'll be hooked...and some food for thought is maybe getting a set of race take-offs?

Pretty cheap and they'll handle anything you can throw at them. For the street they work ok as well.

Aside from that...the Corsa III's have a hard center so they'll work well when you put them on the street. On the track they provide great feedback and you'll get several trackdays on them.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year