DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 497
4 members and 493 guests
2blueyam, boomboom929, car54, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
front tire size????
Unread
  (#1)
Street Bonk Bum.....

Question front tire size???? - April 7, 2006, 10:12 AM

what is difference between a 120/70 and 120/60 slick what is better and why thanks in advance
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
whoa preppy......

April 7, 2006, 10:17 AM

profile. The sidewall of a 120/60 is 60% of its overal width. The 120/70 is 70%. I don't know where they start measuring the sidewall though. Perhaps at the bead?
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Dressed for Success

April 7, 2006, 10:19 AM

The 60 or 70 number means the percentage of 120mm in height. So if the width of the tire is 120mm, the height is 70% of 120mm = 84mm (measured from bead to tread).

Most stock tires are 65 I believe. To move to a 70 you should drop your forks in the triple clamp a few millimeters (5 or so) to retain your desired handling characteristics.

The purpose of the larger tire is that it gives more turning force. The tire has more mass, therefore when you turn the bars it applies more force to lean the bike over faster. At least that has always been my understanding.
Unread
  (#4)
Street Bonk Bum.....

April 7, 2006, 10:21 AM

its on a 06 R6 would be going from 120/70 stock qualifer to 120/60 slick any reasons on why this would be good/bad??
Unread
  (#5)
Dressed for Success

April 7, 2006, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWZelibor
its on a 06 R6 would be going from 120/70 stock qualifer to 120/60 slick any reasons on why this would be good/bad??
My opinion - I would say going from a stock 70 to a 60 is bad. I can't see any benefits you would get from it and your front end would be riding lower than designed. Not even sure if you have enough fork length to drop them to compensate.
Unread
  (#6)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

April 7, 2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
unless you know what you're doing I can't think of a good reason to change a bike's geometry at all.
Unread
  (#7)
BIG SACK RYDAZ

April 7, 2006, 10:39 AM

120/70 is a tire that is slightly taller.
Don't mess with geometry unless you know exactly what you are doing.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to triplestack3 Send a message via AIM to triplestack3  
Unread
  (#8)
Street Bonk Bum.....

April 7, 2006, 10:40 AM

i am asking because i can get some new slicks off ebay cheaper than new and the set i was viewing had a 120/60 front. but if it makes that big of a difference then i wont do it
Unread
  (#9)
Dressed for Success

April 7, 2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
i am asking because i can get some new slicks off ebay cheaper than new and the set i was viewing had a 120/60 front. but if it makes that big of a difference then i wont do it
Exactly, the money you save isn't worth the work and knowledge needed to get your bike back to performing as it was designed.
Unread
  (#10)
Street Bonk Bum.....

April 7, 2006, 10:44 AM

cool thanx for the advice
Unread
  (#11)
Officially Addicted to Posting

April 7, 2006, 10:49 AM

It will make the bike turn in faster and less stable in the corners. Earlier R6s were set up for 120/60s as was my SV. I switched to a 120/70 up front and raised my forks to compensate, and I imagine most racers did the same for their earlier R6s. I don't hear of too many people going the other way. I've heard that R6s turn in pretty fast as is.

But why are you going with slicks? Today's DOT Race tires have amazing traction. Have you found that they are not sufficient for your needs? I don't know too many people that ride slicks, and can't imagine actually needing them.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#12)
Street Bonk Bum.....

April 7, 2006, 10:57 AM

i am going to keep the qualifiers that the bike came with to run on the street and scince i am swaping tires out for the track might as well get better ones if i was going to run a dot would go through set faster because i would never swap them out. there is no point in swaping out a dot tire for another dot tire (even though the GP's have more grip) this way i am not shreadding my street tires on the track and my track tires on the street (if that makes any sense to you) i will probably go with the 120/70 that way i can put my street tires back on with no probs.
Unread
  (#13)
Owner & Creator

April 7, 2006, 11:03 AM

I am running Dunlop Gp's on the street fronts are 120/70/17 on a 04 R1 if I am not mistaken my 01 R6 was 120/60/17 then when it had a gp I had to lower the bike in the front a bit for it to be a little more stable someone correct me please....
Unread
  (#14)
Typical Stripper

April 7, 2006, 11:07 AM

Carnage, lowering the front results in a faster turn in rate, and typically making stability lesson. Raising the rear has a similar effect.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
rdg
best avatar in the biz

April 7, 2006, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist
Carnage, lowering the front results in a faster turn in rate, and typically making stability lesson. Raising the rear has a similar effect.
there's going to be mad confusion now. People are going to start getting confused about who's talking about what - raising/lowering forks/triples