DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 577
6 members and 571 guests
CCS762ZX6, davidcycle, Nobrains, ReasonableDoubt, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Gearing for Daytona on a 600cc
Unread
  (#1)
Owner & Creator

Gearing for Daytona on a 600cc - December 10, 2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-wire

my advice would be to show up with stock gearing.
You would rather have too small a rear sprocket than too big of one. Trust me. Blown motors to prove it. Then as your riding, watch your rpm's in the tri-oval.....you want to have 2000 rpm in reserve because in the races with new tires and a draft you will pull to redline....make sense? Also, tailwind makes a HUGE difference....and that's why noone will be able to give you a concrete answer. If you intend to run race gas......run it in practice to set your gearing. Daytona is a completely different track then anywhere else...Good luck. Look up CCS SE #1, stop by and say hi.....sean:up:

well, daytona is all about the banking, the draft, etc.....I would do the trackday on thurs. ....put on by team hammer. Get out of the chicane as hard as possible. Figure out the draft. One of the few tracks in the world where you can pull out of the draft, make a pass, and the same guy will draft and pass you back before the next corner. Its silly really. The track layout in march does offer an opportunity to beat up on someone in the infield. Its fun, but hP does matter.

During the races, understand that you will be getting into T1 faster and harder then you will have practiced ....due to the draft on the guy in front of you. Feel that out, so you don't outbrake yourself on the 1st lap. So, basically if you line yourself up in a two or three bike draft coming into the tri-oval.....you will be going faster and have to back up your brake marker so you don't overshoot t1 ...make sense? Good luck
I wanted to know if running -1/+2 at Daytona was a good idea, because I saw a video on youtube and it sounded like the 600 w/the camcorder was topping out before finishing on the straight away (I know it's not a straight away)

Anyone else want to share their input?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Has an idiot exemption

December 10, 2007, 07:39 PM

d-wire's advice is good

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F