DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 555
5 members and 550 guests
GRN96WS6, nootherids, Scot, stan55, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Helmet Care Tips
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Helmet Care Tips - April 9, 2007, 09:05 AM

SIX LID-CARE TIPS

Arai's Brian Weston reminded us of these helmet-care tips, all of which will help you keep your lid clean and long lasting.

1. After each ride, wipe the helmet's liner out with a damp cloth, just to remove any excess sweat or road grime from the surface.

2. When storing your helmet, even for short periods of time, keep the shield open and place the helmet on a slotted shelf, so air can flow freely and prevent odor buildup.

3. If your helmet is stored in a garage, where cats and dogs as well as other rodents could foul it, put it in the cloth sack that it came in. (It will still let air pass through) and put it on a high shelf. Dogs and cats love to get at their owner's helmets to lick the salt off the liner. Puppies love to chew the liner, too, and many have completely removed the interior of brand-new helmets.

4. A used dryer sheet, one that has 95% of the scent gone, placed in a helmet will help absorb odors and prevent static.

5. Cleaning road soot and bug gusts from the shield pivot mechanism is always a good idea. It will prevent premature wear and also that annoying crunching sound as you open and close your shield. Doing this with the pre-storage wash is a good idea and perhaps again at mid-season, especially if you live where there are lots of bugs or road debris.

6. Lastly, think of your helmet's interior as another piece of clothing that's up close and personal to your body. Would you wear the same pair of underwear and never wash them? Your head, hair and face deserve the same respect, attention and hygiene you give your backside.

Tony

'12 Ducati Streetfighter 848
'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
forever... Ride on my brothers
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RacerX2050 Send a message via MSN to RacerX2050  
Unread
  (#2)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
April 9, 2007, 09:10 AM

Thanks Tony. Good tips all.

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
coooooookie

April 9, 2007, 09:38 AM

I applied some Jeffs Werkstatt Acrylic Jett (http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com/acrylic-jett.php) to the exterior my new Shark Helmet as well as the visor. It is so slick now.
Any wax or sealant can be used and will make cleaning off bugs and grime much easier. It will also make water bead off the visor in the rain.

Yes I have an OCD, yesterday I cleaned my stove top and waxed it. Next up is the washer and dryer.

John
'07 ZX-6R
NESBA #10
Sportbiketracktime #10

JEMM Auto detailing
Cars, Bikes, RV's, Trailers, bathtubs. If you pay me I will buff it.
Unread
  (#4)
Never lose your head!!

April 9, 2007, 12:52 PM

Good suggestions!! I need one more suggestion though- What do you use to keep your visor from fogging up?

KK
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

April 10, 2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Square
Good suggestions!! I need one more suggestion though- What do you use to keep your visor from fogging up?
stop breathing so hard, and going out on cold days. or fog-x perhaps.

Tony

'12 Ducati Streetfighter 848
'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
forever... Ride on my brothers
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RacerX2050 Send a message via MSN to RacerX2050  
Unread
  (#6)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

April 10, 2007, 07:33 AM

Fog City
Fog City faceshield inserts are designed to fit most full-face helmets. They are available in two versions, the ProShield and the Hyper Optiks. Both versions work by creating a sealed "air pocket" between the face shield and the Fog City film. This air pocket insulates the film, so that it won't fog over. I've ridden with Fog City inserts for years, and they really work.
The ProShield fits snugly onto the inside of your helmet's face shield. The Clear shield is ideal for day or night use. The Smoke shield adds a tint for light and UV filtration, so it should be used only during the day. The Amber filters 98% of UV light and improves contrast in hazy weather.
The Hyper Optiks shields performs the same functions as the ProShield, but they also have a photochromatic film that darkens automatically in bright light. This is the perfect solution for cold, bright winter mornings.
We don't recommend that you ride all the time with a Fog City in place, as it will slightly distort your vision, but it's well worth having one attached to a spare shield so that you can switch it onto the helmet for cold or rainy weather.
Fog City ProShield inserts
Choose Version:
FC-X1H - Fog City ProShield (Clear) ($16.95)
FC-X1HA - Fog City ProShield (Amber) ($16.95)
FC-X1HS - Fog City ProShield (Smoke) ($16.95)
FC-XA1 - Fog City ProShield (Clear, Arai) ($16.95)
$16.95
Fog City Hyper Optiks - combines the anti-fog shield with a photochromatic material that absorbs 98% of UV rays, and automatically darkens in bright light.
Choose Version:
FC-HXO - Fog City Hyper Optiks ($39.95)
FC-HXA - Fog City Hyper Optiks for Arai ($39.95)
$39.95

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#7)
God Made Me Wrong

April 10, 2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I have a Foggy in my helmet. I started using it last year and am so used to it, I don't take it out in the summer...

"Always question those who are certain of what they are saying." - Elie Wiesel

When the time comes to leave, just walk away quietly and don't make any fuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch
Why does SnoopDogg carry an umbrella?...Fo' drizzle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper
Stop putting shit in my papusa!
When people I don't even know don't like me, I figure I'm doing something right.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Bexxx Send a message via AIM to Bexxx  
Unread
  (#8)
Never lose your head!!

April 10, 2007, 09:55 AM

[quote=Bexxx]I have a Foggy in my helmet. I started using it last year and am so used to it, I don't take it out in the summer...

Is that the same thing that some people that I've seen wearing bandanas around their face (same purpose)?

Thanks, dodge and racerx

KK
Unread
  (#9)
God Made Me Wrong

April 10, 2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Is that the same thing that some people that I've seen wearing bandanas around their face (same purpose)?
Yeah it serves the same purpose as a bandana, but with a more custom and secure fit.

"Always question those who are certain of what they are saying." - Elie Wiesel

When the time comes to leave, just walk away quietly and don't make any fuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch
Why does SnoopDogg carry an umbrella?...Fo' drizzle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper
Stop putting shit in my papusa!
When people I don't even know don't like me, I figure I'm doing something right.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Bexxx Send a message via AIM to Bexxx