DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 485
0 members and 485 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Ballaugh Bridge

December 26, 2004, 06:45 PM

Courtesy of DAYUIZ

Just like everything else, there is a method to doing this.
Step 1) Make sure the bike is in gear. If for some reason the bike shifts forward and the kickstand collapses, the bike will only roll a few inches until the wheel locks up. If its in neutral, you'll have to use the brakes and you don't want to have to do that for many reasons such as getting off balance while reaching over.

Step 2) Put the kickstand down, remain on the kickstand side and put your foot on the pad of the kickstand (where it meets the ground) By putting your foot on the kickstand, you'll be able to feel if the kickstand starts to slip or collapse. Also, since that is the pivot point, you'll be able to feel very easily from your foot if the bike is starting to shift forward or backwards.

Step 3) Place one hand on the left clip on and place the other on a suitable gripping point (under the frame if possible) You're not going to do much with your left hand on the clip on yet, its mostly there for another imput point. Once you find a good place to grip the bike with your right hand, move to step 4.

Step 4) Pull the bike towards you, lifting it onto the kickstand and front wheel, while resting it on your thighs. This is where people screw this up if they're just trying it on their own. Firstly, don't attempt to lift the entire bike off the ground and onto the kickstand. Only do that later on when you're very comfortable with this procedure. While first learning this, you'll want to keep two points of contact with the ground, those being the kickstand and one tire. On Gixxers, the bike usually is front heavy, so your front tire will be the one on the ground, and thats good as its harder to pivot the bike when the rear is on the ground such as in Katana's. The other key point here is that you are not holding the bike up with your arms AT ALL. The bike is entirely resting on you legs, in fact you should be able to let go with you hands completely at this point (though not recomended). The bike now has three points of contact, the kickstand, the front wheel and your thighs. Thats a tripod and thats a pretty solid structure.
When you see people attempt to pivot and drop their bikes, its almost always because they try to lift it onto the kickstand only, and they only use thier arms rarely ever making body contact with the bike. This leads to all sorts of problems.

Step 5) Pull the front end towards you, while walking backwards. Basically what you're doing is dragging the front wheel and spinning the bike in a counterclockwise direction. WIth the bike on you knees, you'll be pulling on the left clip on with your left hand, maintaining lean angle with your right hand under the frame and just walking backwards with your feet, one step at a time.

Thats it, thats how you do it. As you get more comfortable with your bike, you'll be able to lift the whole thing onto the kickstand and even spin it clockwise once the you get used to lifting the front wheel off the ground.

If things start to go bad, you'll be able to recover easily. Since your foot is on the kickstand, you'll feel the bike when it starts to slip forward. When this happens, the bike is only going move a few inches foward. With the front wheel still on the ground, it will roll forward, the kickstand will collapse and the back tire will lock up once it touches the ground. You don't need to move your hands at all to reach for a brake and run the risk of getting off balance. If your bike is on your thighs, its not going to fall towards you since you're already holding it up with you legs. It will only fall towards you if you don't have any body contact and try this whole thing with just your arms.

Try this in your garage until you get used to it. I've taught this to many friends and I've been doing it myself for almost 4 years. I've never dropped a bike doing it this way and neither have my friends. The key is really maintaining body contact and having your foot on the kickstand for sensory input.

Sorry thats so long, but I wanted to cover all the key points. Enjoy.
---------------------------------------------------------------

And my personal method:

Grab both bars, turn them to right, pull the bike sideways until it is resting on the tip of the stand and the front tire. Then I just drag the front end around with it pivoting around on the stand.

http://www.fileupyours.com/files/18504/MOV00073.MPG

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Last edited by CrazyMotorcycleGuy; January 22, 2006 at 09:11 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Closed Thread