DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 556
5 members and 551 guests
GRN96WS6, nootherids, Scot, stan55, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
I need tips or ideas for installing a tag light.
Unread
  (#1)
Spring is Finally Here

Unhappy I need tips or ideas for installing a tag light. - December 20, 2008, 09:39 AM

I just found out that i have to have a tag light for inspection. I need so ideas and how to intsall it. And does anyone have any ideas of where to put the ballast box for me HID because right now its sitting on top of my speedometer. And by the way I have a 02 gsxr 600. And if you have pics of what you did that would be great. Thanks
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nightrider13  
Unread
  (#2)
Derpentine Dealer

December 20, 2008, 12:13 PM

The easiest is usually to get your hands on the OEM rear fender piece that has the tail light, tag light, and turn signals. Just put that on for inspection and then go back to your custom rig after you pass. GSX-Rs are a dime-a-dozen so it shouldn't take too long to find one on ebay.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
TPG

December 20, 2008, 12:48 PM

you can get small white LED lights that just stick in place and can be easily wired to the tail light
Unread
  (#4)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

December 20, 2008, 01:04 PM

I stuck a LED tap light to my undertail and passed....but then again I rode around until I found the shadiest looking gas station that does inspections.I don't think the guy ever inspected a motorcycle.He pretty much looked at my lights and made me hit my horn and slapped a sticker on.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, it’s like this…A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#5)
Firebreathing VTwin

December 20, 2008, 01:39 PM

You can buy license plate bolts with LEDs in the heads angled down to light the plate. Very easy just to tap those into your taillight circuit.

MARK DIEDERICH
Love the one you've got...
Cause you might get run over, or you might get shot.
Unread
  (#6)
Spring is Finally Here

December 20, 2008, 02:33 PM

Thanks. I found some one www.denniskirk.com
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

December 20, 2008, 02:51 PM

just stick your ballast to the inside of your fender behind your gsxr sticker...
Unread
  (#8)
Spring is Finally Here

December 20, 2008, 03:32 PM

But what do you think i should do with the ballast box for my hid lights?
Unread
  (#9)
Derpentine Dealer

December 21, 2008, 11:35 AM

FYI, the by-the-book inspection stations will not pass LEDs for tag lights. Even if they do, you are not immune from police trouble. I know a few riders who have had trouble with LEDs in Virginia. By trouble I don't mean just some lip service but a ticket. Just don't be too surprised if you get some attention.

I run those tag boltz and like them. Here in Maryland they are not as picky about the LEDs. They see my tag at 180 degrees visibility with light on it and probably figure that's good enough.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#10)
SMB
sans motor bike

December 22, 2008, 07:29 AM

the law, at least in MD does not specify the "type" of light, LED vs bulb, as long as the tag is illuminated as described....especially since more and more vehicles are coming with LED tag lights...

I dip my chicken strips in Chik-fil-a sauce
Unread
  (#11)
Street Bonk Bum.....

December 22, 2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
FYI, the by-the-book inspection stations will not pass LEDs for tag lights. Even if they do, you are not immune from police trouble. I know a few riders who have had trouble with LEDs in Virginia. By trouble I don't mean just some lip service but a ticket. Just don't be too surprised if you get some attention.

I run those tag boltz and like them. Here in Maryland they are not as picky about the LEDs. They see my tag at 180 degrees visibility with light on it and probably figure that's good enough.

most new luxary cars come with these factory....
Unread
  (#12)
SMB
sans motor bike

December 22, 2008, 08:01 AM

MD:

§ 22-204. Tail lamps; illumination of rear registration plate.

f) Illumination of rear registration plate.- Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be constructed and placed to illuminate, with a white light, the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. Any tail lamp or tail lamps, together with any separate lamp or lamps for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be wired to be lighted whenever the headlamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.

...although, MD is a hippy commune compaired to the VA totalitariansm....

Unread
  (#13)
TPG

December 22, 2008, 08:05 AM

I also need to relocate my plate but I will require some sort of light as I ride at night a lot in Va. I was thinking I was just going to slap and LED or two or three on there. Though I have never used LEDs. Where would I buy some? Radio Shack? Are they 12v DC? Why did Suzuki have to make the stock fender so retarded?

2008 - Kawasaki ZX-6R
2007 - Suzuki GSX-R750 (Sold)
1999 - Yamaha R6 (Sold)

TPG

RIP Jeff
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Jaxxx  
Unread
  (#14)
SMB
sans motor bike

December 22, 2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxx View Post
I also need to relocate my plate but I will require some sort of light as I ride at night a lot in Va. I was thinking I was just going to slap and LED or two or three on there. Though I have never used LEDs. Where would I buy some? Radio Shack? Are they 12v DC? Why did Suzuki have to make the stock fender so retarded?
you can get premade LEDs from Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc...12v just power and ground...

Unread
  (#15)
TPG

December 22, 2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB View Post
you can get premade LEDs from Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc...12v just power and ground...

Makes me wonder why I waited a year.. Thanks, now I have a 5min winter project.

2008 - Kawasaki ZX-6R
2007 - Suzuki GSX-R750 (Sold)
1999 - Yamaha R6 (Sold)

TPG

RIP Jeff
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Jaxxx