DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 546
2 members and 544 guests
Slider, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Need some HIDizzle help
Unread
  (#1)
TPG og

Need some HIDizzle help - March 27, 2010, 03:28 PM

Aite, sorry for clogging up .net with yet another ask for help. But...

Just got my DDM HID kit. Got a pair of the 55 watt digital slim ballast ones. My pops (also my mechanic lol) seems to think you can just plug em in and go. I know better, need these relays to avoid hot striking and destroying the ballasts. But... I'm going to run one ballast/bulb in the lowbeam headlight and one ballast/bulb in the high headlight. Now I'm looking for HID relay harnesses, found em online and also DIY. My question is...do I need 2 relays (1 relay for each light?)? Can I just splice in a 30w relay from radioshack for each light? Also some peeps said cuz these are digital ballasts, some peeps said I don't even need to worry bout relays and just plug and play. I've googled all day for stuff and still dunno wtf to do. Pops is very stubborn and would rather figure shiz out even its wrong before he looks at them "stupid gotdam forums"

any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by b00st; March 27, 2010 at 03:34 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

March 27, 2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00STZX3 View Post
Aite, sorry for clogging up .net with yet another ask for help. But...

Just got my DDM HID kit. Got a pair of the 55 watt digital slim ballast ones. My pops (also my mechanic lol) seems to think you can just plug em in and go. I know better, need these relays to avoid hot striking and destroying the ballasts. But... I'm going to run one ballast/bulb in the lowbeam headlight and one ballast/bulb in the high headlight. Now I'm looking for HID relay harnesses, found em online and also DIY. My question is...do I need 2 relays (1 relay for each light?)? Can I just splice in a 30w relay from radioshack for each light? Also some peeps said cuz these are digital ballasts, some peeps said I don't even need to worry bout relays and just plug and play. I've googled all day for stuff and still dunno wtf to do. Pops is very stubborn and would rather figure shiz out even its wrong before he looks at them "stupid gotdam forums"

any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Huh?

If your bike has one Hi one Lo from the factory you should be plug and play. If you are converting to 1 Hi 1 Lo you may just need an Iso relay.

I have DDM's in my car, very simple install. The bikes are next.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
TPG og

March 27, 2010, 04:27 PM

My bad mang, I wrote that kinda confusingly. I mean I have 2 headlights, the low is on all the time, comes on when I turn the key. The other is headlight is high beam and I have a switch on my left clipon to turn it on. The DDM kit is 2 ballasts and 2 55w bulbs.

The one going in the headlight that comes on automatically will be my main light, but will flip the highbeam switch to turn the other highbeam on if I need more light.

Like this- the pic shows the regular automatic headlight. Flip the switch and the other comes on.

Last edited by b00st; March 27, 2010 at 04:30 PM..
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

March 27, 2010, 04:28 PM

https://www.ddmtuning.com/support/in...1&pcid=0&nav=0
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

March 27, 2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00STZX3 View Post
My bad mang, I wrote that kinda confusingly. I mean I have 2 headlights, the low is on all the time, comes on when I turn the key. The other is headlight is high beam and I have a switch on my left clipon to turn it on. The DDM kit is 2 ballasts and 2 55w bulbs.
Just plug it in.
Unread
  (#6)
TPG og

March 27, 2010, 04:32 PM

Ohhh didn't even see that when searching. Thanks bro!!
Unread
  (#7)
On vacation

March 27, 2010, 05:37 PM

Yo Bobby, how much did the kit cost you? I've been meaning to get one for the 1k. And if you need help installing them, you know who to hit up!
Unread
  (#8)
Ninja Power

March 27, 2010, 10:25 PM

My bike is the same, 2 lenses, lowbeam allthe time, high on a switch, i got the 55watt DDM kit, and i never put a relay in. Plug and play, very simple install.

Talent
2006 Kawasaki ZX6R
Arctic White / White Pearl (Still Under Construction)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Talent Send a message via AIM to Talent  
Unread
  (#9)
TPG og

March 28, 2010, 12:24 PM

@Marc DDM Tuning kit, pair of 55 watters for $76 shipped. Thanks bro Ill letcha know!

@Talent - good to hear dude. Guess I'll be fine without em
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

March 28, 2010, 03:47 PM

DDM just dropped the prices. If you can get away with 2 of the same bulb a 35w kit is as low as $25.
Unread
  (#11)
TPG og

April 1, 2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space View Post
DDM just dropped the prices. If you can get away with 2 of the same bulb a 35w kit is as low as $25.
True. Got the 55ws for $45 a pair iirc.

Went ahead and bought some relay harnesses on ebizzle, 2 of them (one for each ballast) for $20 shipped. Better safe than sorry, I don't trust the oem buell harness for that much amps at startup.

Thanks to space, Kev and everyone else for the advice! hopefully get em in and pics up this weekend. I want em to be so bright that when pop up the front end it blinds God.

@Marc- I'm gonna try and put in em this weekend. If you need help or want some install pics lemme know. Same concept on all bikes, even the, weird azz Buells
Unread
  (#12)
TPG og

April 6, 2010, 11:21 PM

Ran into some more problems now that I got the relay harnesses. Emailed the seller but maybe yall know/see something I ain't. I plugged the harness (only needed one dammit!) into the ballasts. That was easy. After that though...

-theres an extra plug and 1 red and 1 black wire stemming from the bulb area that I have no idea where the hell it goes
-all diagrams I've seen have a black plug that is supposed to go into the stock harnesses. I don't, I have a really big red wire with a square connector and hole in it and another thats black
-one side seems short... all Buell hid installs I've seen they put both ballasts behind the front fairing (theres plenty of room), but doesnt seem that I can run the battery connections and stretch the harness to the front

anyone got any idea? Heres some pics...

whole setup

The bulb with the extra plug and red/black wires

The relay box, fuse box, battery connections and the mystery pair of black/red wires
Unread
  (#13)
TPG og

April 7, 2010, 07:54 AM

EDIT nevermind, figured out that those giant red/black wires slide into the oem harness somehow. Still dunno wtf those plugs coming from the bulbs or how I'mma mount the ballast up front and stretch it to the back for the battery.
Unread
  (#14)
LiterBike Desperado

April 14, 2010, 01:12 PM

i think the red and black are your power ... did you get it all hooked up?

if you have an extra relay harness, i may need. i have mine plugged in straight with one going through the hi-beam relay, but i don't think my low is on a relay. i could be wrong ... gonna go back and check.

CCS/ASRA #134
www.facebook.com/FullerMoto
2013 FINAL ASRA/AMA/CCS Mid-Atlantic Standings
-------------------------------------------------------------
#1 ASRA SportBike AM
#3 AMA 600cc SuperBike Grand National Championship
#2 AMA 1000cc SuperBike Grand National Championship
#1 CSS Southeast Unlimited GP AM

2012 CCS Atlantic & Mid-Atlantic SuperTwins AM Champion
FullerMoto * Woodcraft * Armour Bodies * DC-MOTO/AMSOIL * MotoWheels * Gotham Cycles * XT Racing * Figure Finishing LLC * Full Spectrum Power * HelmetCameraOutlet.com

My bikes:
'09 Ducati Monster 1100S (Longhorn Edition) [street]
'09 Ducati 848 [CCS/ASRA #134]
'08 Ducati 848 [CCS/ASRA #134]
'05 SV 650 SS-build [CCS/ASRA #134]

'08 Ducati 848 [Parting Out]
'05 Yamaha R1 [Sold]
Unread
  (#15)
TPG og

April 14, 2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrakStar View Post
i think the red and black are your power ... did you get it all hooked up?

if you have an extra relay harness, i may need. i have mine plugged in straight with one going through the hi-beam relay, but i don't think my low is on a relay. i could be wrong ... gonna go back and check.
yeah I've figured it out mostly. I got wrong harnesses. The car harnesses allow 2 ballast to be plugged into one harness cuz car headlights come on at once/together. For mine, wanted to run one ballast to low and one to high, with the high being on my OEM high switch. Me, my pops and Bud Light shall figure it out this weekend!

In the meantime, I'll let ya know if I have anything leftover because we're gonna have to hack up at least one harness. Check out this thread, has to be similar to other bikes with dual headlights as well.

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1259588834