DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 520
3 members and 517 guests
GRN96WS6, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
New rider choices
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

New rider choices - April 25, 2010, 12:37 AM

Im 5'5" like 145 looking at my first bike. I think i've narrowed it down to a CBR600 or a Gixxer600. Granted and few years old and a few miles on em since i'm lookin the the range of like 3g-3.5g. Which one do yall recommend?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG og

April 25, 2010, 12:45 AM

First bike? Keep in mind you don't need to flatfoot completley to be comfortable and have control... I'm about your size...vertically challenged ya know....I have liter bike so it needed to be lowered and now I can get most of my foot including balls on the ground () which is always an option with those Big 4 bikes. 2005 CBR seat height is 32 inches, 2005 gixxxaaaaaa seat height is 32.5, 2006+ is 32.5 So they're about even. Lowering is option, seat shaving/modification is one as well. Go find one and sit on them first, plenty of dealers around bro.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#3)
Got my Permit

April 25, 2010, 03:13 PM

thanks for the info. would you happen to know how much lowering costs?
what about seat shaving? or do u just buy a whole new, smaller seat for that?
idk if i necessarily want my balls on the ground, might chafe a bit. :haha: and boots have like an inch roughly worth of sole, which should help a bit... right?
Unread
  (#4)
TPG og

April 30, 2010, 09:09 AM

Seat shaving is pretty cheap, theres a couple of people that do it on here IIRC. Other than that, Corbin will do it for you, will be more expensive than a local dude though. They shave it, or shave it and put in gel inserts. For lowering... I'll look around, I have no idea about anything but Buells.

http://www.amazon.com/2008-2009-SUZU.../dp/B0018EZKTS Lowering links for cbr600

Pretty sure you could put them in yourself or have someone on here do it for some $$ or go to one of the shops.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#5)
USSA

April 30, 2010, 09:17 AM

If i had to choose between the two i'd go for the CBR depending on what year you're looking at. unless the gsxr is a k7-9 i wouldn't touch it.

now what you need to do is come to your senses and get a 03-05 R6. You can find one easy between 3k-3.5k

Just from perusing craiglist people seem to want more for similiar year CBRs but I'm sure you can haggle them down.

As far as zukis go i don't pay attention, i don't think you'll find a k7 or anything in that range but you never know.

I Have Nothing To Contribute.

Chicks are like jobs...all the good ones are taken and they can't pay you enough to do the ones that are available.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArrrSV  
Unread
  (#6)
Street Bonk Bum.....

April 30, 2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrSixed View Post
If i had to choose between the two i'd go for the CBR depending on what year you're looking at. unless the gsxr is a k7-9 i wouldn't touch it.

now what you need to do is come to your senses and get a 03-05 R6. You can find one easy between 3k-3.5k

Just from perusing craiglist people seem to want more for similiar year CBRs but I'm sure you can haggle them down.

As far as zukis go i don't pay attention, i don't think you'll find a k7 or anything in that range but you never know.

why?? older gsxrs are great bikes...anything 03+ for any brand is a good bike...

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#7)
kin
Batman wants my bike

April 30, 2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrSixed View Post

totally agree, there are some amazing deals on R6's this seaon

06 R6
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kin