DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 534
3 members and 531 guests
GRN96WS6, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Noob on a group ride with experts
Unread
  (#1)
TPG og

Noob on a group ride with experts - October 17, 2008, 11:54 AM

Hey guys. Randomly stopped at a gas station in Baltimore (Hampden), and started talking to some guy about bikes. He invited me to riding with him and his boys tomorrow. There in a club that shall rename nameless, but they have plenty of videos (stuntin, high speeds, etc.) I'm kinda freaked out, there all Gixer and CBR riders to.I've been riding for 3 months but I'm pretty confident. Been commuting to and from Rockville, so I'm used to high speed stuff, getting better at high speed turns, but still scared. Plus I got no top end compared to there bikes. Anyone got some advice for me? I'll try to not ride outside my limits. I don't wanna seem like a wuss though. I ride a Firebolt so there gona be roasting me. Anyone got some tips?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#2)
Mommy's Little Monster

October 17, 2008, 11:57 AM

Don't go. Everyone will always say ride your own ride, but when you say "I don't wanna seem like a wuss though" you're setting yourself up for fail.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
SMB
sans motor bike

October 17, 2008, 11:58 AM

good luck....

it'll go beyond what you expect....
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

October 17, 2008, 12:00 PM

remember to breathe
Unread
  (#5)
I hate Hybrid drivers

October 17, 2008, 12:01 PM

stay home is good advise or be man enough to know you can't ride like they can and ride your own ride.
Unread
  (#6)
Officially Addicted to Posting

October 17, 2008, 12:02 PM

be sure to pat the ground before you try to stand up

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time
Unread
  (#7)
TPG - screw face

October 17, 2008, 12:09 PM

back in the military when i was stationed in at Washington DC 8th and I.....our barracks was over in Arlington. That's where i first learned how to ride a motorcycle...in an underground garage...6th gear...stopping quick..u-turns...I thought I had it.

my boy says "yea man...wanna ride the bike back to 8th and I for me" I said "hell yea dude" *knowing damn well my knees were shaking and my palms got sweaty* cuz I hadn't been on the street yet - let alone with traffic.

he looks at me and says "dude..if u r nervous DO NOT ride" i was like "man please...i got this" I still don't know how he picked up on that - he was a very seasoned rider though.

started the bike....WHAM...bent his forks and front rim on those concrete stantions that hold up the 2nd level parking lot.

lol...my advice - go on more noob rides and work ur way up to the front of them.
Unread
  (#8)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

October 17, 2008, 12:22 PM

Your fear is going to be the killer. Even when everyone on the ride around you repeatedly says, "Take it easy, go slow, we'll wait for you," you'll feel the urge to push it. With your limited experience, that's going to be hazardous.

I can honestly tell you no group of bikers will care how slow you go if the alternative is scraping you off the pavement.

I'd recommend you start with newbie rides, though. Apparently crashing on group rides is common. I didn't join groups until I'd been riding for a year, and even now I sometimes feel the urge to push it...

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#9)
I'm a llama again!

October 17, 2008, 12:27 PM

MOTHER FYCKER YOUR GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am kidding but honest if your nervous and you worried your not going to be able to keep with some stunters, it's best to stay home. Post that you would like to go on a ride here. You really could end up hurting your self and the guys your ridding with.

Last edited by Slider; October 17, 2008 at 12:33 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
SMB
sans motor bike

October 17, 2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
MOTHER FYCKER YOUR GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread
  (#11)
Nubbs ban yourself!

October 17, 2008, 12:35 PM

The one guy who invited you, maybe go ride with him sometime one on one. The group ride may be just a bit much for now.
The bike can do it but the instant that fear kicks in and you react, many times it happens too quick for the other side of rational thought to over ride that first reaction.
I have ridden bikes for 22 years but only the past 3 years have started to do the sport bike thing and trying to get faster. I rarely push it on the street so my learning has consisted of about 4 times on the track. I have felt my confidence grow and I am learning I can do things faster but it takes time doing it with people who are trying to teach you not race their friends.
I do believe we only get better riding with those better than us but picking the right time to do it is key!

Be SAFE!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#12)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

October 17, 2008, 12:35 PM

Do what you want to do.

I'd like to go.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#13)
TPG Bannings: III

October 17, 2008, 12:40 PM

as hard as its gonna be to do, you really should stay home. It took me a while of riding by myself before I really started getting in on faster group rides. Hit one of them up and say you might not be ready for it and you'll catch them another time when you're more comfortable.
Unread
  (#14)
making it do what it do!!

October 17, 2008, 12:48 PM

If you don't know this people think twice about it. God forebid something happens to you...you will most likely get left behind (happened last weekend I think) At their level there will be wheelies, endos and a bunch of crazy stuff going on as you are riding and even though you are riding safe you could end up getting hurt if one of them spills. Plus on the hwy if you come across cop lights they will run I don't know if you can/should run at your level. However your ride your life your choice, good luck on whatever decision you chose to make. Keep us posted.

-FER-
2008 Raven R1
Eat, Lift, Sleep.... (REPEAT)!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MANIMAL  
Unread
  (#15)
Banned

October 17, 2008, 12:50 PM

i agree, dont go. I'd say dont even ride in big groups at all yet, just ride one on one with other people for a while, or maybe a group of no more then 3 other bikes.

There is a LOT to think about when your on a group ride... distance between the bike infront of you, distance between the bike behind you so if you stop quick they dont hit you, looking out for hazards and warning others, looking out for hazards others have warned about.... and the whole time you also need to concentrate on braking points, line, etc... It is a lot of things to think about, even when you are quite seasoned.. and your new. not only could you crash and ruin your day, you can very easily ruin the days of those you are riding with.