DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 491
0 members and 491 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
PSA: Stop going crazy with the countershaft sprocket nuts already!
Unread
  (#1)
Derpentine Dealer

PSA: Stop going crazy with the countershaft sprocket nuts already! - October 29, 2013, 08:52 AM

Look, countershaft sprockets are not permanent installations on motorcycles so stop torquing the living daylights out of the nuts and for the love of humanity, STOP USING HI-TEMP THREAD LOCK!!!

When heat and industrial-strength tools are not sufficient to break loose a countershaft sprocket nut on a modern motorcycle, it means some dipshit overtightened the nut and coated the threads with hi-temp thread lock. But it is not necessary. Please, please, please do these things when installing front sprockets.

7 easy steps to installing a front sprocket on your motorcycle so that it is not a permanent fixture:

1.) Educate yourself on what you're about to do by consulting your service manual.

2.) Tighten to specified torque, don't just hammer on it for 5 minutes with an impact gun.

3.) Don't use hi-temp (red) thread lock. It's not necessary. If you'e freaking out about it coming loose, then put some regular blue stuff on the threads.

4.) Don't use hi-temp (red) thread lock.

5.) Use the cute little toothed washer thingy to hold the nut from loosening by folding part of it down onto the nut. It's an adequate safeguard.

6.) Don't use hi-temp (red) thread lock.

7.) Don't overtighten or use hi-temp (red) thread lock.

Are we clear? Thanks.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
AMA Superbike Champ

October 29, 2013, 09:02 AM

lol, did my electric impact do the trick?
Unread
  (#3)
Derpentine Dealer

October 29, 2013, 09:13 AM

not yet. I have to get a different socket. The impact socket I have is not deep enough, and I'm worried that the regular socket (multi-point) is going to eventually round off the nut.

This one may surpass the one on my old bandit as worst ever. I keep looking to see if someone spot-welded it on.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

October 29, 2013, 09:18 AM

What's it on? It's not a LH thread is it...

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#5)
AMA Superbike Champ

October 29, 2013, 09:18 AM

Well, if you need more firepower the compressor is yours to borrow. BTW, I'm doing the chain/sprockets on my FZ-1 soon, I hope not to run into the same issue as yours. Mine is bone stock, so it shouldn't be an issue unless they applied that thread lock from the factory.
Unread
  (#6)
Derpentine Dealer

October 29, 2013, 09:39 AM

Not reversed/LH threads. The service manual specifies 94 ft-lbs torque and a coating of anti-seize grease oil (molybdenum disulfide grease mixed with motor oil 1:10). Never mentions anything about welding the dang thing.

Brian, your electric impact gun is great. I'll get it off eventually, either with the gun or with a 2-ft piece of 1-inch conduit over my 18" breakover bar.

Unread
  (#7)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

October 29, 2013, 10:05 AM

Air chisel my friend.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#8)
Playing in the dirt

October 29, 2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Not reversed/LH threads. The service manual specifies 94 ft-lbs torque and a coating of anti-seize grease oil (molybdenum disulfide grease mixed with motor oil 1:10). Never mentions anything about welding the dang thing.

Brian, your electric impact gun is great. I'll get it off eventually, either with the gun or with a 2-ft piece of 1-inch conduit over my 18" breakover bar.
If you want to bring it over I have a impact wrench that will remove it.

KTMs and Yamahas
Unread
  (#9)
Track Day addict

October 29, 2013, 11:28 AM

You can always drill the corner of the nut and safety wire it to the sprocket as well. When my toothed washer bites the dust, that is going to be my plan for the track bike at least. I might try it on the Tuono since I have a new front sprocket I need to put on there.

Dale - 2004 SV 650 track, 2003 R1 track, 2007 Tuono
Unread
  (#10)
Derpentine Dealer

October 29, 2013, 02:29 PM

Yeah the electric impact gun isn't budging this thing so I'm in that mode of desperately trying to stop the rear wheel from turning while I twist on the nut with a 4-ft cheater pipe.

I have a feeling this nut may need to be destroyed in order to remove it.

Unread
  (#11)
AMA Superbike Champ

October 29, 2013, 03:02 PM

Have someone sit on the bike and jump down at the same your hitting the bolt with the impact or pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Yeah the electric impact gun isn't budging this thing so I'm in that mode of desperately trying to stop the rear wheel from turning while I twist on the nut with a 4-ft cheater pipe.

I have a feeling this nut may need to be destroyed in order to remove it.