DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 534
3 members and 531 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, dubplaya, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
A question for track junkies
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

A question for track junkies - March 26, 2008, 02:58 PM

I was at Summit Easter Sunday and one of the most troubling areas for me was turn 1. I either went in too slow and didn't have much of a problem, or I went in way too fast and didnt feel comfortable getting off the bike to put my knee out. It felt like it would really upset the bike if I tried to get off. What should I do in that sense? Get my ass off before I start the hard braking before the turn? Or should I brake hard before leaning, get off and then put my knee out?

Thats one of the things I know I can improve uopn for next time. Other than that, do any of you prefer left turns to right turns?

M.A.R.R.C. Cornerworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHiriser
It takes a special kind of crazy to stand on a corner/on track dodging motorcycles for free.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
( * )|( * )

March 26, 2008, 03:09 PM

nevermind...

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Last edited by deviousR6; March 26, 2008 at 06:16 PM..
Unread
  (#3)
Asstastic

March 26, 2008, 03:20 PM

just be like water.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...844F779ADF89CA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNDlf6hA6TY

Michael Collins: You are the baddest mo-fo low down around this side of town!!
Whip some ass!!
B.J. Penn: Sho-nuff!
Unread
  (#4)
( * )|( * )

March 26, 2008, 03:26 PM

Chris

Last edited by deviousR6; March 26, 2008 at 06:16 PM..
Unread
  (#5)
NW DC Rider

March 26, 2008, 03:47 PM

Once your body position is set off the bike for the corner, putting just your knee in/out should have little/no effect on the balance of the bike. But if you're trying to slide off the seat mid-turn, you're going to have issues...

Focus on setting up your body position before starting your turn. If you are braking hard you will want to be gripping the tank with your knees, but you can still begin to setup.

I'd say the biggest thing is worry less about dive bombing late and hard on the brakes and more about taking the turns themselves correctly... set your goal entry corner speed early (even if that means you technically braked earlier than "optimal") so that you have time to get your body position correct and optimal. As it becomes more natural you can speed things up and begin braking later and later.

I think you are running into one of the dangers of NESBA's B group, where everyone is so worried about gunning it down the straights (since it's the only place you are allowed to pass) that they focus more on that than cornerspeed!

-Ryan

2007 Yamaha R6 (race)
2003 Yamaha R6 (sold)
CCS #341
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to rhouck Send a message via AIM to rhouck Send a message via MSN to rhouck  
Unread
  (#6)
Republicans for Voldemort

March 26, 2008, 04:49 PM

Out of curiousity - where are you looking going into turn 1..

Remember you are supposed to be looking where you want to go.. You should be looking thru the turn... Summit has as fairly long straight and it's easy to get focused on the end of it, especially if you are hitting speeds you are not used to hitting for sustained periods of time - ie 120+ ...

I would take it at a comfortable pace and practice looking thru the turn and being smooth ... It will seem slower at first - but being smooth will lead to speed..

I had a similiar problem @ grattan in MI... I would focus on the end and would choke and slow up too much as I was concentrating on the end of the straight.. I slowed my pace and started working on looking thru the turn... As time went on it got better and better and I got faster... I would also talk to a corner worker after you have been thru a session or two and get comfortable with the track... If they know what to look for - they will help you out..

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

March 26, 2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck
I think you are running into one of the dangers of NESBA's B group, where everyone is so worried about gunning it down the straights (since it's the only place you are allowed to pass) that they focus more on that than cornerspeed!
I think you hit it right on the head. I was too worried about getting ass-packed (as they call it) to try and go too slow.

M.A.R.R.C. Cornerworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHiriser
It takes a special kind of crazy to stand on a corner/on track dodging motorcycles for free.
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

April 2, 2008, 07:16 AM

The best thing you can do to avoid being A$$ packed is run a predictable line and be smooth, speed is not nearly as important.

Next time you're at the track snag a CR/coach in the pitts and tell'em you're struggling with turn 1 and you'd like some help. Chances are they will get you sorted out.

It sounds like you are approaching the turn without a plan, and aren't staying a step ahead of the motorcycle. (That leads to panic and plowing thru the grass)

Here's my useless off track haven't seen you ride advice:
Start your braking at the first brake marker and get your entry speed set early to what you feel comfortable with. That way you can put your focus where it needs to be which is in the turn.

My 2 cents.
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

April 2, 2008, 07:16 AM

dupe post....

Last edited by windblown; April 2, 2008 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: dupe post
Unread
  (#10)
Owner & Creator

April 2, 2008, 07:23 AM

The more trackdays you start doing, the more you will understand your bike. You will start to learn on when to start braking, when to get off the bike.

My ghetto riding style.

Flying down the straight, braking and downshifting before I get to the point where I am going to turn in, I stick my right knee out a little, then right before I begin to turn my cheek has moved off the seat. Everyone rides different. I have a a video on the way I ride that Adrian recorded at summit. PM me if you want a link.

It is harder to explain by typing.
Unread
  (#11)
( * )|( * )

April 2, 2008, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown

Next time you're at the track snag a CR/coach in the pitts and tell'em you're struggling with turn 1 and you'd like some help. Chances are they will get you sorted out.
amen....

Chris
Unread
  (#12)
Que se jodan!!

April 2, 2008, 08:00 AM

I agree with everyone that the more experience you have, the easier the turning process will become....as it is, I do what rhouck suggested (brake with my knees holding the tank, setting up my entry speed, then set up body position and enter the turn). As you get use to the process, these events will start meshing together, and braking/upshift will begin later (trail braking included).

I cannot emphasize enough the "look through the turn" concept! The whole process takes on a much slower feel when you aren't looking at the asphalt right in front of your wheel.

Whisper
"Speak quietly and carry a big stick."
2014 BMW S1000RR
2006 GSXR 1000 - Street (Sold)
2005 GSXR 1000 - Track (Sold - I hate you, Paul)
2010 YZ250F -Motocross in Mexico (I still hate Yamahas)

Men are qualified for civil liberties in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their appetites: in proportion as their love of justice is above their rapacity...Society cannot exist, unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere; and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters. ~Edmund Burke, Political Theorist and Philosopher

Some of us are lions, but even lions can be crushed under the elephant of bad management.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whisper