DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 506
1 members and 505 guests
2blueyam
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Replace front fork assembly
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

Replace front fork assembly - June 23, 2011, 06:58 PM

I am going to replace a bent front fork on my CBR250R. I can not get a hold of a shop manual can anyone give me tips on things I need to watch out for. I need to loosen the pinch bolts slide the old one out and slide the new one in. Is there anything I need to know about orientation, height, how far to slide in, lubrication etc.? I do already have the torque requirements for the pinch bolts.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

June 23, 2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgkool View Post
I am going to replace a bent front fork on my CBR250R. I can not get a hold of a shop manual can anyone give me tips on things I need to watch out for. I need to loosen the pinch bolts slide the old one out and slide the new one in. Is there anything I need to know about orientation, height, how far to slide in, lubrication etc.? I do already have the torque requirements for the pinch bolts.
Loosen the pinch bolts on the damaged fork and slide it out. If the new fork slides all the way in smoothly then your upper & lower triple are probably still in alignment ok.

Carefully set the top of the fork height above the top triple to match the top of the fork on the other side. Snug up all the pinch bolts and work your way up to the torque spec in a couple of steps.

When done your front axle should slide through both forks easily. Check for smooth operation of the fork by bouncing the front a few times and then tighten the axle pinch bolt.

Disclaimer: I don't know squat about your bike.
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

June 23, 2011, 09:43 PM

great advice windblown! dont over think it.... its very simple.

.................................................. ..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
.................................................. .......................
Unread
  (#4)
Got my Permit

June 24, 2011, 09:32 PM

Thankyou, I went ahead and removed both my forks today. Turns out their both bent.... So now i need to order the other one. Im thinking of just getting the inner chrome pipe and trying to rebuild one, as its ever so slightly bent (but still much out of spec).

It was ALOT more simpler then I thought. I losened the pinch bolts and they just came sliding out. Do I need to lubricate the new one before I slide it back in?

Do the triple trees usually just go out of alignment/break vs bend, they look in good shape to me? I hope worst case, i just have to re-align them rather then replace them.
Unread
  (#5)
Derpentine Dealer

June 25, 2011, 03:39 AM

I read once that when setting the position of each fork tube, one should measure from the bottom of the lower triple clamp to the axle rather than going by the position in the top of the upper triple clamp. The reason is given was that the headset can position slightly different when not loaded, and the spacing can be deceptive. I don't know whether it makes a huge difference, but I err on the safe side and set things up this way. At least you'll know for sure that your axle is the same distance on each side from the lower triple. What happens above the lower triple then doesn't matter too much.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#6)
Got my Permit

June 25, 2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
I read once that when setting the position of each fork tube, one should measure from the bottom of the lower triple clamp to the axle rather than going by the position in the top of the upper triple clamp. The reason is given was that the headset can position slightly different when not loaded, and the spacing can be deceptive. I don't know whether it makes a huge difference, but I err on the safe side and set things up this way. At least you'll know for sure that your axle is the same distance on each side from the lower triple. What happens above the lower triple then doesn't matter too much.
Interesting, I'm going to have to digest this. Can your please explain your reasoning? In my head, if you measure to the axle, you have now measured the fork compression without load and THAT could be slightly uneven.
Unread
  (#7)
Groping is a skill...

June 25, 2011, 02:03 PM

Well if you measure from the lower triple the wheel has a better chance of being alligned and that's really what matters. The upper part of the triple can be bent and cause a slight variation. I'm just guessing of course.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to