DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 557
3 members and 554 guests
2blueyam, dubplaya, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Reusable oil filters
Unread
  (#1)
Derpetologist

Reusable oil filters - March 24, 2011, 11:08 AM

Are stainless steel reusable oil filters worth anything? I pulled one out of my bike after buying it. It had little piles of metal shavings accumulated on the outside of the mesh... Yikes. I replaced it with the oem paper filter which I would assume to filter better (smaller pore size)... But I'd like to hear from someone who knows their stuff.

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

March 24, 2011, 12:01 PM

I believe that if a new oil filter was 200 dollars it would be worth it, considering they are normally 15 bucks I wouldn't care to use a filter that MIGHT not be quite as performing and that get me all dirty when I clean it.

2011 Ducati Diavel Chromo (Current)
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Current)
2006 BMW R1200ST
2003 BMW K1200GT (Current)
2004 Ducati 998s Final Edition (Current)
1997 Aprilia RS250
1998 BMW K1200RS
2000 Ducati 998
1998 Pegaso 650
1999 Ducati 996S
2004 BMW R1150R
2005 Aprilia RSVR Factory
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Buell Ulysses
1991 Suzuki GSX-1100R
1991 Honda Africa Twin 750
2008 Mobster Lefty Trophy pitbike
2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
1990 Aprilia Pegaso 125
1991 Ducati 888
1995 Honda CR250
1996 Aprilia RS125
1995 Aprilia Sr 50
1984 Kram-it 50
Unread
  (#3)
Firebreathing VTwin

March 24, 2011, 12:20 PM

I bought a used Scotts filter for my TL1000. I like the idea but am not totally sold on it myself.

Here is the info from their site:

Oil Filters:
The Finest Stainless Steel Micronic Oil Filter You Can Buy
  • Why Scotts is the best:
  • Setting the Industry Standard with Technological advancements in product design
  • 10 Years of Engineering, manufacturing and testing
  • Technical information and assistance available directly from the manufacturer
  • 3 Pleat welded seam (best sealing and strongest
  • Passes ASTMF316 Test for 35 Microns
  • Certified "Bubble Point" testing on media
  • Passes 24 hour chemical resistance test
  • Custom woven media
  • Able to withstand 600 degrees F.
  • Full Flow bypass with progressive valving. No need to disassemble for cleaning.
  • Magnetic pre-filtering (all spin-on models)
  • Will Manufacture Custom Filters for Specialty and Vintage applications.
  • Stocking orders filled WITHOUT waiting for overseas shipments.
  • Sonic cleaning available from the manufacturer
  • Used by the most factory backed riders
  • Labeled "4-Stroke insurance" by MotoCross Action Magazine
  • Rated "9" by Dirt Rider Magazine
  • Given "Full Throttle" rating my Fast By Design
  • Applications for just about everything that rolls, floats or glides across the snow.
  • 100% In-House design and Manufactured in the USA

Superior Filtration:
This should be the last oil filter you will ever buy! Made from laser cut, medical grade, 304 stainless steel micronic filter cloth, this filter provides 200% more filter area in many cases. Most good paper filters will pass particles in the 90 to 95 micron range, and some tested, as much as 300 microns. Sand is about 125 microns and a white blood cell approximately 25 microns. Our stainless filter catches items down to 35 microns "absolute", which is about 3 times better than most good paper or brass filters. The pleat seam is welded, able to withstand up to 600 degrees in our filter, not glued, like paper filters.

Cleanable and reusable:
Simply remove the filter, rinse in clean solvent and replace it, you're done. The filter can be cleaned with solvent, kerosene, aerosol carburetor cleaner, or any other degreasing agent, even common dish soap. You can even blow air through the filter from the inside out to remove any small particles or cleaning agent from the screen if you so desire.

Consistent flow under all conditions:
Stainless steel will stand up to the stress of heat, high pressure and physical handling much better than paper or brass. This filter maintains consistent flow under all conditions including cold start ups and or under extreme heat. A one inch square of this micron filter material will flow 1.9 gallons of 90 weight oil per minute at only 1 psi pump pressure (70 degrees F). Our typical filter size is 30 sq. in. which equals the flow of 57 gallons per minute. Standard paper filters do not flow well when the oil is cold, often causing the bypass valve to open allowing unfiltered oil to enter your engine, uhg!

Unaffected by Water, Heat and Pressure:
This filter is capable of withstanding extremely high pressure and flow rates. It is also unaffected by Water, Heat and Pressure, unlike standard paper filter material which swells in the presence of water, closing off filter pores and reducing flow.

Early Detection:
By allowing you to inspect the debris that is in the filter you can monitor your engines condition, avoiding minor and or catastrophic failures.

What is a Micron?
A micron is one thousandth of a millimeter. That's about .00003937 inches. Fine sand can be as small as 62 microns thick. Our filter will not allow any particle over 35 microns to pass through this filter, that's some pretty small stuff that's being caught.

So who uses this type of filtration?
This high tech filter technology is widely used in all types of auto racing including NASCAR, Indy type cars, Formula 1 and in the Aerospace industry where filtration is of the utmost importance.

Things to think about:
Next time you are fanning your clutch think about all that tiny debris that is created from the clutch and gears meshing together, spinning around in your motor's vital parts. If you really care about the life of your motor and consider the cost of loss of time associated with a current day 4-stroke motor, then you need one of these filters. It's even transferrable in some cases to your next bike. I used the same filter in my last three bikes, and it's still like brand new, there's simply nothing to wear out.

Environmental benefits
In addition to all the other benefits, our filter helps keep the land fills free of old used filters.

This filter is proudly made in the USA.

and here is a more info on micron rating and efficiency and he addresses these washable filters.

Motorcycle Oil Filters & Air Filters

MARK DIEDERICH
Love the one you've got...
Cause you might get run over, or you might get shot.
Unread
  (#4)
SUPERBITCHIN'

March 24, 2011, 12:30 PM

good filters
AMSOIL - AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters (EaO, Ea15K)

if you want extra protection get a magnitized drain bolt, even can go as far as magnet on the filter.

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#5)
T.R.I.T.D.H

March 24, 2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoallafila View Post
I believe that if a new oil filter was 200 dollars it would be worth it, considering they are normally 15 bucks I wouldn't care to use a filter that MIGHT not be quite as performing and that get me all dirty when I clean it.

+1

HOW much LONGER will an oil change take to CLEAN/WASH OUT a reuseable oil filter?

Is is less than $10-$12 bucks of your time that it takes to buy a new, one time/two time use filter.....

SURE you will save on the cost of the filter over time...but I mean really. How much of a dent is $10-$12 bucks/filter going to put a dent in your take home???

The idea is GREAT...but the practicality of it isn't quite there...I mean really I won't even know how to clean out the filter to re use it? It's not like you can wash it out with soap and water in a sink or using a hose....

EDIT:

Quote:
Cleanable and reusable:
Simply remove the filter, rinse in clean solvent and replace it, you're done. The filter can be cleaned with solvent, kerosene, aerosol carburetor cleaner, or any other degreasing agent, even common dish soap. You can even blow air through the filter from the inside out to remove any small particles or cleaning agent from the screen if you so desire.
come on....dish soap? really....yeah right. We're talking engine oil here....lolz

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."

Last edited by TalkofDC; March 24, 2011 at 12:54 PM..
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

March 24, 2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
+1

HOW much LONGER will an oil change take to CLEAN/WASH OUT a reuseable oil filter?

Is is less than $10-$12 bucks of your time that it takes to buy a new, one time/two time use filter.....

SURE you will save on the cost of the filter over time...but I mean really. How much of a dent is $10-$12 bucks/filter going to put a dent in your take home???

The idea is GREAT...but the practicality of it isn't quite there...I mean really I won't even know how to clean out the filter to re use it? It's not like you can wash it out with soap and water in a sink or using a hose....

EDIT:

come on....dish soap? really....yeah right. We're talking engine oil here....lolz
Snort it

2011 Ducati Diavel Chromo (Current)
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Current)
2006 BMW R1200ST
2003 BMW K1200GT (Current)
2004 Ducati 998s Final Edition (Current)
1997 Aprilia RS250
1998 BMW K1200RS
2000 Ducati 998
1998 Pegaso 650
1999 Ducati 996S
2004 BMW R1150R
2005 Aprilia RSVR Factory
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Buell Ulysses
1991 Suzuki GSX-1100R
1991 Honda Africa Twin 750
2008 Mobster Lefty Trophy pitbike
2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
1990 Aprilia Pegaso 125
1991 Ducati 888
1995 Honda CR250
1996 Aprilia RS125
1995 Aprilia Sr 50
1984 Kram-it 50
Unread
  (#7)
Signed up for Track Days!

March 24, 2011, 12:57 PM

I was debating about this myself even though I need to change it once a year with my riding. Looking for more input.
Unread
  (#8)
T.R.I.T.D.H

March 24, 2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoallafila View Post
Snort it

yes and the dr. evil avatar is a great picture tutorial on snorting things...

if you look closely enough you can see a small, powdery snowy mound of substance on the end of his finger there...

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#9)
Derpetologist

March 24, 2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC

lol, I wash my hands with dish soap after oil changes. It's pretty strong stuff. I could see it working, but fresh motor oil would be my choice.

But anyways, if scots filters really have those pore sizes, might be worth considering. Although I dunno, how you clean the inside out if it's closed off, welded shut, and too small to flush out easily?

Last edited by Rail; March 24, 2011 at 01:58 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
Have Bikes - Will Travel

March 25, 2011, 08:13 AM

I used a metal oil filter on my DR650 for 30k miles without a problem and am currently running a metal filter on my Victory which is also pushing 30k miles.
Cleaning definitely takes longer than swapping out a standard filter but since I change the oil every 2.5k miles on the Vic I only take the filter off and clean it every 2 oil changes.

If your filter is covered with metal bits you might have a bigger problem than an oil filter.

The reason I got the metal filter for the DR was that I didn't want to carry a 1/2 dozen filters with me to South America and the one on the Victory just looks sweet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg knpfinishes.jpg (43.9 KB, 56 views)

Ill believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.
http://www.twowheelsgood.net

Last edited by Rafale; March 25, 2011 at 08:20 AM..
Unread
  (#11)
Derpetologist

March 25, 2011, 09:11 AM

I'm hoping the previous-previous owner just stuck the metal filter in early in the engine's life and assumed it was good. As far as I can tell the engine runs well and transmission is pure butter. Previous owner put all of 120 miles on the thing so def not the culprit lol.

That is a good point though, it's a good idea if you're on the road...

Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

March 25, 2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
Dawn is a great degreaser and it's very mild. Ever notice what they use to clean up the birds after an oil spill? Dawn dish detergent...

Rail - You going to be at the first Summit Point SuMo Fri Apr 29th?

Helen
Mom of Donovan,
a GNCC and VCHSS racer

2013 Sponsors: Munn Racing, KTM-Parts.com, Sunstar, ONE Industries, 661, Sunline, Tag Metals, Cycra, Asterisk, Leatt, GoPro, Twin Air, Factory Backing and Mom & Dad

Helen's Facebook
WillowRowRacing Facebook
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SxyRdr Send a message via AIM to SxyRdr  
Unread
  (#13)
T.R.I.T.D.H

March 25, 2011, 10:09 AM

I guess I stand corrected abuot dish soap...

come to think of it...I wash my hands with dish soap after an oil change....facepalm....

Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer

March 25, 2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail View Post
lol, I wash my hands with dish soap after oil changes. It's pretty strong stuff. I could see it working, but fresh motor oil would be my choice.

But anyways, if scots filters really have those pore sizes, might be worth considering. Although I dunno, how you clean the inside out if it's closed off, welded shut, and too small to flush out easily?
I have one in my DRZ. It isn't sealed shut, you can spray carb cleaner inside and outside.
Unread
  (#15)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

March 25, 2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by {SALVA} View Post
good filters
AMSOIL - AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters (EaO, Ea15K)

if you want extra protection get a magnitized drain bolt, even can go as far as magnet on the filter.
Ever notice that motors are not all magnetic steel? Screens also catch clutch fibers and aluminum that magnets will not. KTM runs 2 oil filters and 2 screens.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!