DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 550
4 members and 546 guests
GRN96WS6, Sal_the_man, Slider, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Review: Brembo Radial Master Cylinder (19x20)
Unread
  (#1)
What failure looks like

Review: Brembo Radial Master Cylinder (19x20) - July 13, 2009, 09:30 AM

Setup:
Spiegler super bike lines
Vesrah RJL pads
Brembo 19x20 Master Cylinder
Stock calipers
Motul RB500 dot 4 race fluid

Alright, I am a skeptic and I have a big issue buying high-dollar items that may not be useful or I don't "rate" as a rider. I don't want to spend tons of cash on an item and not really be able to use it to its fullest.

The Brembo radial MC is not one of those items! I am used to the stock crappiness of the Suzuki brake MC and all the shitty braking associated with it. For the street, the stock setup is more than capable and will reliably haul you down everytime. For the track, the stock setup is inadequate at best. For a beginning track guy don't make any changes. You'll be fine! For someone that wants more from their setup and wants to start late braking it's the only way to go.

I dropped 14 seconds off my laptimes at NJMP with a lot of the credit having to go to the brakes along with the Dunlop GP209. I was actually running hard with the big boys with this setup.

You have to be VERY carefull with the brembo setup because you will pick up the back tire in a instant if you give too much. I slowly progressed to very late braking and my first attempt to really get on the brakes resulted in a smashed crotch on the gas tank, an endo, and a lot of rear tire wagging. You have to hold on hard to the tank to keep your weight back with this setup. I had to switch from 2-finger braking to 1-finger to not over do it. My first stop from 160+ mph at braking marker 3 on the front straight with little drama solidified how much I love this setup.

ZERO fade all day! None, zip, zilch, nada~! Not a single bit of lever play, spongy-ness, reduced braking, or anything. Well worth the $220 with shipping on eBay!!!

'04 600RR - Street
'07 GSX-R 750 - Track only now
TPM #101 - Blue
NESBA #101 - Advanced
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to nrcooled  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG Bannings: III

July 13, 2009, 09:41 AM

+1 on everything you said.

I run a brembo radial master, galfer carbo lines, and EBC HH pads on my bike(street/track) I absolutely love the combination. Stock rotors and calipers.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Nubbs ban yourself!

July 13, 2009, 09:48 AM

You happen to have a link to the Ebay dealer you got it from?
I am going to do a few things to my setup before going this far but I do want to keep it on my radar.

Mine are soft just sitting in the garage so I am going to see if I can bleed that out of them a bit more.
Then I am going to remove the anti-squeal springs which should help with fade but right now the lever starts out soft so that won't solve that problem.
It could be that after 20000 miles the MC is just warn.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#4)
TPG

July 13, 2009, 09:50 AM

Another +1 for the Brembo m/c, I put one on both my street and track bike I love it so much
Unread
  (#5)
What failure looks like

July 13, 2009, 09:54 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BREMB...Q5fAccessories

This is the guy that I bought mine from but it was an actual auction that started at $204 with $12 in shipping. This one is from his store and it is at $229. Still cheaper than any online shop that I've seen so far.

'04 600RR - Street
TPM #101 - Blue
NESBA #101 - Advanced
Unread
  (#6)
#swag

July 13, 2009, 09:58 AM

Love my 19x18 on my 03 R1. The stock brakes on the 09 are fine right now..

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#7)
Has an idiot exemption

July 13, 2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrcooled View Post

I dropped 14 seconds off my laptimes at NJMP with a lot of the credit having to go to the brakes along with the Dunlop GP209.
14 seconds????!!!! Damn!
The Brembo is a nice set-up.

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#8)
What failure looks like

July 13, 2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZX9 View Post
14 seconds????!!!! Damn!
The Brembo is a nice set-up.
The amount of confidence that the brakes gave me was amazing. Come in hot to T1, drag the brakes through, then power on hard all the way up the hill through T2 and I don't close the throttle until the second half of the chicane. Power on again until T4 where there is maintenance throttle then heavy braking for T5 (tight left). Another place these bad boys shine is trailing the brakes through T9 where you have great feel to feather the brakes enough to get through cleanly.

This set up help tremendously in consistency because you aren't guessing on how the brakes are going to react on the next lap. With the stockers, I would push my braking marker back by a half to a full number depending on where in the session I was. Early on I would get on the brakes at 4/3.5 but later on I would push back to before the 5 marker to stay on the safe side.

It is a very disconcerting feeling to grab the brakes at braking marker 4 and have the lever keep going back and there isn't much more power left.

There really aren't any other heavy braking zone on Thunderbolt other than T1 and T5. The rest is just confidence in the front end for the remainder of the track

'04 600RR - Street
TPM #101 - Blue
NESBA #101 - Advanced
Unread
  (#9)
Banned

July 16, 2009, 04:18 PM

i have the stock r6 brembo unit, and it is wayyyy better then the stock f4i master cyl. one of the best brake upgrades i have done.
Unread
  (#10)
Has an idiot exemption

July 16, 2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrcooled View Post
There really aren't any other heavy braking zone on Thunderbolt other than T1 and T5. The rest is just confidence in the front end for the remainder of the track
I know.
That's why I was shocked at a 14 sec improvement with a master cylinder.
There aren't that many places to use brakes.

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#11)
Nubbs ban yourself!

July 23, 2009, 07:21 PM

nrcooled,

Maybe you can help me with my install. I ordered the master cylinder from the link you gave and it came in today.
I realize I need a banjo bolt and will get that ordered.
I plan on getting the one with the pressure switch so I can use my brakes but the line coming off of it is just one lead that doesn't look like it just connects to my wiring. Did you do anything with this or no pressure switch for you?

My stock master cylinder the brake lines went into the end of the master cylinder. On the Brembo it is at the bottom. Did you have enough line to just go to the bottom or did you order new lines at the same time to make this work?

Now here is my huge problem. My line coming from the brake fluid reservoir to the nipple on the brembo is too big and just slides off. Did you or anyone else have to deal with this and if so how?

Ok, I see you did change the lines. I already have aftermarket lines, guess I have to get another set as both are too short and the wrong angled ends.
I found a place that sells a bracket and micro switch as many say the banjo bolt kind take a lot of pressure to activate and lights don't come on under light braking. http://hardracing.com/Brembo/BremboMC.htm
Did your stock reservoir line work or did you get a smaller one?

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm

Last edited by n2sport; July 23, 2009 at 07:51 PM..
Unread
  (#12)
GP Racer

July 27, 2009, 11:11 AM

You will need new tubing since the brembo uses 5mm.

BTW, just put an RCS Brembo on my bike this weekend, will test it out Monday. Im going to start on 19x18 because I have run one of them before, and then try the 19x20 setting in the afternoon.
Unread
  (#13)
What failure looks like

July 27, 2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport View Post
nrcooled,

Maybe you can help me with my install. I ordered the master cylinder from the link you gave and it came in today.
I realize I need a banjo bolt and will get that ordered.
I plan on getting the one with the pressure switch so I can use my brakes but the line coming off of it is just one lead that doesn't look like it just connects to my wiring. Did you do anything with this or no pressure switch for you?

My stock master cylinder the brake lines went into the end of the master cylinder. On the Brembo it is at the bottom. Did you have enough line to just go to the bottom or did you order new lines at the same time to make this work?

Now here is my huge problem. My line coming from the brake fluid reservoir to the nipple on the brembo is too big and just slides off. Did you or anyone else have to deal with this and if so how?

Ok, I see you did change the lines. I already have aftermarket lines, guess I have to get another set as both are too short and the wrong angled ends.
I found a place that sells a bracket and micro switch as many say the banjo bolt kind take a lot of pressure to activate and lights don't come on under light braking. http://hardracing.com/Brembo/BremboMC.htm
Did your stock reservoir line work or did you get a smaller one?
Maybe the '07 lines are different lengths but the replacement Speigler lines worked with the Brembo setup. Other than having to replace the banjo bolt from the MC to the lines everything else just lined up.

I am using the stock reservoir and lines held on by a new clip to provide appropriate pressure for closure.

'04 600RR - Street
TPM #101 - Blue
NESBA #101 - Advanced

Last edited by nrcooled; July 27, 2009 at 11:42 AM..
Unread
  (#14)
Knee Draggin!

July 27, 2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
i have the stock r6 brembo unit, and it is wayyyy better then the stock f4i master cyl. one of the best brake upgrades i have done.
What year master? Do you know where I can find more info, possibly a write up?

P-L Production ---> MARRC TD

Buying a sportbike to go the speed limit (which you do not do in your car) is like buying a condom to look at it.

Do you buy a condom to look at it? No you buy it to fuck.
Thank you Rossi
Unread
  (#15)
Typical Stripper

July 27, 2009, 11:25 AM

Can you get Pazzo or CRG levers for the true Brembo units yet (not the cheapy stocker ones)?

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to