DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 544
3 members and 541 guests
2blueyam, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Riding tips for a noob
Unread
  (#1)
Railing!

Riding tips for a noob - May 11, 2007, 08:33 AM

I've been riding off and on for about a year now and I'm still looking to improve, so any (good) advice is appreciated. Here are two main areas I need to work on:
1. Throttle control: I find myself chopping the throttle especially when going over bumpy roads. When ever I go over a bump, my hand shake and I close the throttle (not consciously). Any advice on how to be more smooth? The obvious would be not to go over bumps but sometimes they are unaviodable in DC/MD
2. Low speed manuevers: When doing low speed turns, I think too much and end up going too slow causing the bike to be unstable. Yes I didn't do well on the MSF figure 8s.

Also, are there any good riding schools out there that cater to novices?
Anyone want to mentor a noob?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Site ADMIN

May 11, 2007, 08:38 AM

check out the threads for cornerspeed. Seriously, that is the best advice for you. Join some other .net folks, ride around with control riders who are also .net members and really work on it in a safer environment. what you can learn in one day from cornerspeed would take you much longer on the road..

the low speed stuff you can do on your own at any parking lot. just set up some spots to practice practice practice...

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#3)
( * )|( * )

May 11, 2007, 08:40 AM

Parking lot + Drills!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#4)
Nothing here

May 11, 2007, 08:45 AM

Seat time and lots of it. Also, there is an "Adopt a Newbie" thread on here somewhere. Check that out. Great people have offered their time to the safe training of new riders.
Unread
  (#5)
I am a bitch, so what?

May 11, 2007, 08:47 AM

Where are you at in MD? We are in Frederick and do a ride every weekend. You are more than welcome to come up and join us.

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil  
Unread
  (#6)
Railing!

May 11, 2007, 08:51 AM

spud: I checked out cornerspeed and they are sold out for a while, but I'm going to call and talk to someone to get more details
deviousr6: Once i fix my bike this weekend, i'll hit up parking lots but if I'm doing something wrong, then i'm doomed to repeatedly practicing it and making it a habit
madali: I saw that and posted up to be adopted but no bites. I actually went on a ride last yr with some guys and learned more about cornering than I ever did at MSF
Unread
  (#7)
Nothing here

May 11, 2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRSheDevil
Where are you at in MD? We are in Frederick and do a ride every weekend. You are more than welcome to come up and join us.
Do NOT pass up this offer!!!
Unread
  (#8)
Railing!

May 11, 2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRSheDevil
College park. Riding this saturday/sunday? whats the pace?
Unread
  (#9)
Que se jodan!!

May 11, 2007, 08:55 AM

That "throttle issue" can be remedied a great deal by supporting your weight with your back more and keeping your elbows bent...you're supporting your weight with your arms and therefore it transitions to your throttle....keep a loose, easy grip on the clip-ons, which will also help you with your turns.....

Whisper
"Speak quietly and carry a big stick."
2014 BMW S1000RR
2006 GSXR 1000 - Street (Sold)
2005 GSXR 1000 - Track (Sold - I hate you, Paul)
2010 YZ250F -Motocross in Mexico (I still hate Yamahas)

Men are qualified for civil liberties in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their appetites: in proportion as their love of justice is above their rapacity...Society cannot exist, unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere; and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters. ~Edmund Burke, Political Theorist and Philosopher

Some of us are lions, but even lions can be crushed under the elephant of bad management.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whisper  
Unread
  (#10)
Mooo

May 11, 2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirious
2. Low speed manuevers: When doing low speed turns, I think too much and end up going too slow causing the bike to be unstable. Yes I didn't do well on the MSF figure 8s.
oh my gawd I pwned the figure 8!!

Originally Posted by n2o
I keep my old helmet next to my bed. I make the ugly girls wear it. plus they dont get headachs when there head bounces off the headboard.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Quake4Ialdaris1  
Unread
  (#11)
Railing!

May 11, 2007, 09:16 AM

Thanks Whisper, I'll work on that.
Quake...: bro that figure 8 was crazy! I kept dropping my foot. The one (and only) time I did it perfect, I got off the bike and did a little dance. that was weird for everyone
Unread
  (#12)
( * )|( * )

May 11, 2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
College park. Riding this saturday/sunday? whats the pace?
RRonin and R6SheDevil are good people...you can learn a lot from both of them!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#13)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

May 18, 2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks Whisper, I'll work on that.
Quake...: bro that figure 8 was crazy! I kept dropping my foot. The one (and only) time I did it perfect, I got off the bike and did a little dance. that was weird for everyone
I ran into a guy working in a bank a week ago that told me how he went to take the test on a friends bike,but the plates were dead so they wouldn't let him use it.Theres another guy there taking the test with a 1000-something.The guy dropped the 1000,broke a bunch of stuff...1000 owner guy was pissed and the guy never got a motorcycle.

The MSF offers an advanced course.Go to a huge parking lot for a few hours and just run the same loop over and over and over and increase your lean just slighly each turn.Try different body positions and head positions.Find that position where it feels right.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, it’s like this…A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#14)
You meet the nicest

May 18, 2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper
That "throttle issue" can be remedied a great deal by supporting your weight with your back more and keeping your elbows bent...you're supporting your weight with your arms and therefore it transitions to your throttle....keep a loose, easy grip on the clip-ons, which will also help you with your turns.....
Right on point.
Use your torso to keep your arms loose. Use your legs in turns to help the suspension. Don’t be a sack of potatoes getting shifted around by the bike.

Check your “wrist down” position as taught in MSF. Do you drape fingers over the brake lever? If so, (in any case actually) rotate the lever down so it’s comfortable and not bending your wrist TOO far down. What you want, if clearance with bodywork and such permits, is to be able to put a straight edge across elbow, wrist, and knuckle when in the riding position with fingers on brake.

A note about finger draping: It can be a good thing in traffic but is not recommended in twisties. I say can be a good thing in traffic because it reduces reaction time, but it can work against you if you’re prone to panic reactions. For many years I rode with fingers draped almost all the time. Now I only drape when the threat level reaches a certain point.

RRonin is a great street rider who has taught a lot to quite a few people on this board. His wife, R6SheDevil, knows what time it is too. If you have the opportunity to ride with them . . .

Don’t do the Cornerspeed School until you are comfortable in the twisties. Do your seat time.

Sorry I missed you at MSF but come to Cornerspeed, where I also teach, next year or later this season,.

Jim

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#15)
Railin????

May 18, 2007, 09:22 PM

This thread is good stuff!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Apple