DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 558
4 members and 554 guests
GRN96WS6, Sal_the_man, Slider, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
So you wanna get a Sportbike?
Unread
  (#1)
NOM NOM NOM
 
Dragon's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,209
Join Date: June 17, 2006
So you wanna get a Sportbike? - February 29, 2012, 09:23 PM

This is something every new rider should read.

  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
Good Intentions
 
RideUniverse's Avatar
 
Posts: 346
Join Date: May 13, 2008
Location: Falls Church
February 29, 2012, 09:33 PM

Awesome


'99 Honda CBR1100 xx - sold
2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650 - sold.
2008 Yamaha FZ1 -sold
2012 Harley Davidson VROD Muscle-sold
2012 Ducati Diavel Dark I ride to work.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
in Yamaland
 
danrivito's Avatar
 
Posts: 928
Join Date: June 12, 2006
Location: Frederick MD
February 29, 2012, 09:43 PM

Some good points.

Several bad points.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
Groping is a skill...
 
turkishexpress's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,997
Join Date: May 3, 2008
Location: Chicagoland
February 29, 2012, 10:41 PM

I like it. Good enough for a newb.


2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned


I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
SRWJTS P.R.O.
 
Stylezx's Avatar
 
Posts: 705
Join Date: September 1, 2011
Location: inside ya girl
March 1, 2012, 05:37 AM

good shit drag. because imma noob


Quote:
Originally Posted by RileysDad View Post
I'm happy to share some tips too....as long as you stop saying "yo" as the end of every sentence.
Xbox- xK1NG GwuaLLax ...see me on GoW3
K6 GSXR 600 - Sold
K7 - R6s ...sold thank god
K6 GSXR - never leaving you

PITTSBURGH BOY

R.I.P Dad 8-10-2012
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
AMA Superbike Champ
 
Nova_gts's Avatar
 
Posts: 665
Join Date: April 2, 2011
Location: Lake Ridge
March 1, 2012, 05:48 AM

250's are too big, I started on a tw200... you dont have to worry about make fun of you either for having a little sport bike, because it's not a sport bike!


2005 R6 Raven
2007 DRZ400SM
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
No more 1050 :(
 
drz1050's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,740
Join Date: June 12, 2011
Location: upstate NY
March 1, 2012, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova_gts View Post
250's are too big, I started on a tw200... you dont have to worry about make fun of you either for having a little sport bike, because it's not a sport bike!
TW200s are awesome little bikes... lots of fun to ride.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,473
Join Date: October 1, 2002
Location: King George, VA
March 1, 2012, 06:28 AM

I would love a TW200 for shenanigans. Especially in the snow.


-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
The last urrbendah
 
Stillie's Avatar
 
Posts: 18,909
Join Date: February 5, 2003
Location: Kickin' it with Stevie Janowski
March 1, 2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefitzvh
I would love a TW200 for shenanigans. Especially in the snow.
Pretty sure I'd go to jail on one in the city.


13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,473
Join Date: October 1, 2002
Location: King George, VA
March 1, 2012, 06:33 AM

Do it. There's really no good reason not to.


-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#11)
TNT
GP Champ
 
Posts: 1,670
Join Date: August 21, 2011
Location: Annapolis, MD
March 1, 2012, 05:53 PM

I think there's a happy middle ground, but general advice should be not to start supersport. I read all the articles, talked to a bunch of people, and still picked an R6 as my first bike. I was a little nervous about it, but have had a great experience in my first few thousand miles.

As for how to go about it - safety courses, reading, learning, practicing. I took two MSF basic courses and got my license before buying the bike. I trucked the bike back home from where I bought it and didn't take it out on the road until I had practiced for the better portion of an afternoon in a very large parking lot. I took the MSF advanced course and military sport bike rider courses within the first two months of riding and before taking the bike out more than 10 miles from my place (no less chance of a bad accident, but at least I'm in range of help for minor issues). Read Twist of the Wrist, watched the DVD, read Total Control, and others. And most importantly, full leathers, all the time, even in the ball-searing August humidity. I spent 5K on the bike and 1500 on protective gear...don't regret a bit of it.

Now, for all that being said, I love the R6 and plan on having it for years to come, but even now I'm trying to get my girlfriend into riding so I'll have an excuse to buy a Ninja 250, which I would use much more than she did. Were I to do it again, I'd probably get the 250 first so I'd have an excuse for "need to upgrade."
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#12)
AMA Superbike Champ
 
Nova_gts's Avatar
 
Posts: 665
Join Date: April 2, 2011
Location: Lake Ridge
March 1, 2012, 07:20 PM

The TW was a tractor, the tire on the back is like a 170, stuck? never! My friend had his dirt bike in the snow and was slipping all over the place, never once lost traction...

Thing didnt have enough power though, it was comparable to a civic... great starter on and off road... once you're ready to go on the highway, time to move up.


2005 R6 Raven
2007 DRZ400SM
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#13)
SRWJTS P.R.O.
 
Stylezx's Avatar
 
Posts: 705
Join Date: September 1, 2011
Location: inside ya girl
March 1, 2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
I think there's a happy middle ground, but general advice should be not to start supersport. I read all the articles, talked to a bunch of people, and still picked an R6 as my first bike. I was a little nervous about it, but have had a great experience in my first few thousand miles.

As for how to go about it - safety courses, reading, learning, practicing. I took two MSF basic courses and got my license before buying the bike. I trucked the bike back home from where I bought it and didn't take it out on the road until I had practiced for the better portion of an afternoon in a very large parking lot. I took the MSF advanced course and military sport bike rider courses within the first two months of riding and before taking the bike out more than 10 miles from my place (no less chance of a bad accident, but at least I'm in range of help for minor issues). Read Twist of the Wrist, watched the DVD, read Total Control, and others. And most importantly, full leathers, all the time, even in the ball-searing August humidity. I spent 5K on the bike and 1500 on protective gear...don't regret a bit of it.

Now, for all that being said, I love the R6 and plan on having it for years to come, but even now I'm trying to get my girlfriend into riding so I'll have an excuse to buy a Ninja 250, which I would use much more than she did. Were I to do it again, I'd probably get the 250 first so I'd have an excuse for "need to upgrade."

Nice yo...and with this being said it gives me a warm and fuzzy about me having a gsxr 600 and being a noob and taking the MSF class twice.. im scared of the bike truthfully and i dunno how long its going to last all i want to do is practice practice and practice more...it wasnt like their was 20 different bikes for me to choose from..my friend was leavin for overseas and i took it off of him and i love the bike in all so i'm going to stick to it.. i know that people suggest other bikes 250's sv650's which dont look that bad at all to tell u the truth like i wouldnt mind having one only real reason why im keeping it because i told myself that i will learn on this bike like it or not...


Quote:
Originally Posted by RileysDad View Post
I'm happy to share some tips too....as long as you stop saying "yo" as the end of every sentence.
Xbox- xK1NG GwuaLLax ...see me on GoW3
K6 GSXR 600 - Sold
K7 - R6s ...sold thank god
K6 GSXR - never leaving you

PITTSBURGH BOY

R.I.P Dad 8-10-2012
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer
 
DocZ's Avatar
 
Posts: 868
Join Date: June 22, 2010
Location: Not sure
March 1, 2012, 07:48 PM

Out of curiosity, why did the two of you take the MSF twice? For comfort or being concerned about something in particular? I think it's great that somebody bothered to take it twice to get better, but I'm just curious if there was a specific issue that concerned either of you.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#15)
SRWJTS P.R.O.
 
Stylezx's Avatar
 
Posts: 705
Join Date: September 1, 2011
Location: inside ya girl
March 2, 2012, 09:32 AM

well tell u the truth lol...i failed the first one the old ass ninja 250 i wasnt good with the clutch...and then the 2nd time same bike i rocked out witht it and passed so i got it twice...the first time i failed at the final test but like i said the 2nd one i was smooth on so yeah


Quote:
Originally Posted by RileysDad View Post
I'm happy to share some tips too....as long as you stop saying "yo" as the end of every sentence.
Xbox- xK1NG GwuaLLax ...see me on GoW3
K6 GSXR 600 - Sold
K7 - R6s ...sold thank god
K6 GSXR - never leaving you

PITTSBURGH BOY

R.I.P Dad 8-10-2012
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.