DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 492
5 members and 487 guests
2blueyam, beatle, GRN96WS6, nootherids, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
So you want to ride year round ... PART II
Unread
  (#1)
Retired to most ...

So you want to ride year round ... PART II - October 27, 2008, 11:56 AM

The BIKE!!!

Fall and winter are much harder on bikes. You MUST pay attention!! Your bike needs a little more TLC during the fall and winter months. There is a lot more crap on the roads that can end up on your bike.

General Bike CHECKS!!!

1) Your chain ÖÖ itís winter time and soon enough salt is going to end up on the roads along with loads of other stuff. KEEP IT CLEAN and free of gunk build up!! I clean, lube and adjust mine after every ride I do. Makes it last a whole lot longer and I donít have to worry about damage from built up road gunk.

2) Fluid levels ,,,,, check them and check them often. If your bike is leaking something you might not notice it because of all the road crap making the bike look dirty. Check your levels.

3) Your brakes Ö every now and then spray them down with some brake clean. It helps to keep any road gunk off the pads and allows you to properly stop!!

Start up and winter riding!!

1) LET THE BIKE WARM UP!!!! It takes you more then 2 min. to warm up. Your bike needs more then that too!! You would be surprised the damage you can do to the bike by just going out on a cold morning, starting it up and taking off. You could take off nad the bike falls on itís face because itís not warm yet. Bad situation to be in on cold tires. Let it build oil pressure and smooth itís idle out. As a general rule of thumb donít take off until you have a temp reading!!

2) Youíre going to notice your bike seems to run better when it cold outside. It can be a very deceiving feeling!! Maintain your throttle control. The bike can get away from you very quickly and you rolled the throttle the same way you always have. Watch out for it. Cold tires plus a stronger power delivery makes for instant wheel spin!!!

3) Itís winter time Ö STOP trying to drag knee and get crucial lean angles. Speed comes with time. Work on the basics. Body position. Proper set up before you enter the turn. THROTTLE CONTROLL. If you get these things down to a science in your winter riding youíll be freash and ready to roll when it warms back up!!

TIRES!!

The part youíve all been waiting for!!

1) Tire type Ö.. this is very open to rider choice so I will keep this basic. If you are a new rider 2 years or less donít be riding on DOT race tires or used track take offs. There is a LOT more involved in making these tires work during the winter on the street. Buy yourself a set of decent STREET tires. Iíd rather spend a few hundred bucks on new tires for the street then spend a few thousand fixing my bike after I wreck because I didnít know what I was doing on race tires.

2) Proper pressure Ö.. again I know this is very open to rider choice so Iíll lay the simple rule out. Less is better!! The less tire pressure you have in your tires the more contact you have with the road which means better traction. More traction means they heat up faster. I personally run 30 psi in the front and 34-35 psi in the rear. The more nasty the roads are the lower those numbers go.

3) Tires take MUCH longer to heat up and become ďstickyĒ in the fall and winter months. Pay attention to this. If your commute is 5 min. long you are NEVER going to have them even close to warm.

This time of the year is not the time to practice your best Rossi imitation. Keep it slow and work on the basics. There is no award at the next stop sign. You can avoid a lot of possible wrecks if you take the time to maintain your bike BEFORE and AFTER every ride you do.

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

October 27, 2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySpeed954 View Post

2) Proper pressure Ö.. again I know this is very open to rider choice so Iíll lay the simple rule out. Less is better!! The less tire pressure you have in your tires the more contact you have with the road which means better traction. More traction means they heat up faster. I personally run 30 psi in the front and 34-35 psi in the rear. The more nasty the roads are the lower those numbers go.
Good to see some one else sees the light on this.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Elite Racing

October 27, 2008, 02:44 PM

Johnny, would your tire PSI recommendation be a warm reading or cold reading?

A current cold reading for me is 26/front and 32.5/rear.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
Unread
  (#4)
Retired to most ...

October 27, 2008, 03:06 PM

Mine is cold but thats just me. I like a harder tire but I've been riding year round for a while so I'm used to it.

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#5)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

October 27, 2008, 03:35 PM

I think the most important thing is to keep warm.There have been times when I underdressed and it consumed my attention and not the road ahead.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven