DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 524
3 members and 521 guests
GRN96WS6, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
So you want to ride year round ... PART III
Unread
  (#1)
Retired to most ...

So you want to ride year round ... PART III - October 27, 2008, 11:59 AM

Road conditions ÖÖ they are ever changing in fall and winter. What your favorite road looked like 20 min ago is 100% different right now!! Here is a small list that I can think of now that you should be looking out for.

1) Wind Ö this time of year until summer we tend to get some pretty strong wind. If itís windy as all hell outside donít go railing your favorite twisties. Expect to be thrown off your normal line and be prepared to make sudden adjustments. When I say sudden adjustments I do not mean chop the throttle, grab all the brake you have a scream like a little girl. Stay calm!!

2) LEAVES ÖÖ these are natures land mines!! The tops may be dry but they are wet underneath. Itís like riding on ice. Expect to feel a tire slip here and there. Donít panic. Ride it out and maintain your throttle.

3) Wet looking roads can be ICE. If you are not sure donít test it. SLOW DOWN!!!

4) Sand and gravel. Everyone knows VDOT will dump volume equal to 6 miles of Ocean City beach on the roads because they saw 4 snow flakes!! Start riding where cars have already gone. This stuff collects in our normal paths in intersection and ESPECIALLY in the turns!! Donít push wide and donít do in deep!

5) Wild life Ö. FUCKIN GROUND HOGS and DEER!! ( Just for you Tanya and Travis!! ) Be on the look out at all times.

In short riding in the winter can be a lot of fun but itís also a lot more dangerous. Pay attention. Donít tempt fate!! Also remember that any of these conditions can work in combination with another. WInd can suddenly blow wet leaves out into the road in front of you. Plan for it!!!

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#2)
Lets Ride!!!

October 27, 2008, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the three part series. Good stuff.

Go Hokies!!!

2007 GSXR 750 Black/Midnight Blue - sold
  Send a message via AIM to