DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 456
3 members and 453 guests
2blueyam, nootherids, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Versa Haul?
Unread
  (#1)
Knee Draggin!

Versa Haul? - March 10, 2009, 07:01 PM

Does anyone have any experience with haulers like this? I am thinking of getting one although would like to hear some feedback.

http://www.versahaul.com/vhsportro.php

08 CBR10RR8
NESBA - I #89
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG

March 10, 2009, 07:13 PM

I know they say it's fine for a sport bike but it looks so sketchy I'd hesitate to use it, no first hand experience though
Unread
  (#3)
I was sleeping

March 10, 2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrownw View Post
I know they say it's fine for a sport bike but it looks so sketchy I'd hesitate to use it, no first hand experience though
+1

KEV~
NESBA # 401
2002 Honda 919
2003 Yamaha R6(05-09 SOLD)

MARRC Safety Crew - www.marrc.org
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Dirty  
Unread
  (#4)
Knee Draggin!

March 11, 2009, 08:44 PM

Yeah... I think I am going to can this idea. I did find another hauler that looks pretty good. If you have no place to keep a hauler, like me. Pretty cool, but pretty pricey. I don't know...

http://www.trailerinabag.com/index.html

08 CBR10RR8
NESBA - I #89
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

March 12, 2009, 08:16 AM

few ppl have told me its only good for taking your bike a short distance
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to islandboy  
Unread
  (#6)
opossum puncher

March 12, 2009, 08:27 AM

The versa is dangerous because all of the load is on the tongue of the hitch, and unless your hitch can handle that weight (most cant) its asking for disaster, Ive heard they are ok for dirtbikes though.

The trailer in a bag is expensive, but works well. I had a friend drive up from FL to Deals Gap with one behind a taurus and he said it worked great.

If you have any space look in to the fold able trailers from Harbor Freight and Norther Tool.

Im in the same boat as you though, Dont have space for a trailer, only a 1 car garage which already holds the bike and a car.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#7)
What failure looks like

March 12, 2009, 09:16 AM

Anyone use the elevated carrier for their bike?

It's been discussed before. Birdman pretty much killed any chance that I would get one with his crazy black magic he calls physics.

I believe loosetooth got in on it too further killing my dreams of simple towing

I just picked up a Kendon folding trailer and called it a day.

'04 600RR - Street
'07 GSX-R 750 - Track only now
TPM #101 - Blue
NESBA #101 - Advanced
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to nrcooled  
Unread
  (#8)
Street Bonk Bum.....

March 12, 2009, 09:17 AM

that hitch one would be great for a mini moto bike

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#9)
Knee Draggin!

March 12, 2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool View Post
The versa is dangerous because all of the load is on the tongue of the hitch, and unless your hitch can handle that weight (most cant) its asking for disaster, Ive heard they are ok for dirtbikes though.

The trailer in a bag is expensive, but works well. I had a friend drive up from FL to Deals Gap with one behind a taurus and he said it worked great.

If you have any space look in to the fold able trailers from Harbor Freight and Norther Tool.

Im in the same boat as you though, Dont have space for a trailer, only a 1 car garage which already holds the bike and a car.
Yeah, my hitch is under by 100 lbs or so. I also picture the handle bar killing the window or door if loading the bike goes bad.

That is good to hear about the TIAB. I really like that although the price is the same as a nice flatbed.

08 CBR10RR8
NESBA - I #89
Unread
  (#10)
Knee Draggin!

March 12, 2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrcooled View Post
Anyone use the elevated carrier for their bike?

It's been discussed before. Birdman pretty much killed any chance that I would get one with his crazy black magic he calls physics.

I believe loosetooth got in on it too further killing my dreams of simple towing

I just picked up a Kendon folding trailer and called it a day.
Ahh...

The Kendon trailer looks pretty nice as well. Hmm...

08 CBR10RR8
NESBA - I #89
Unread
  (#11)
Signed up for Track Days!

March 13, 2009, 08:09 AM

I have been using a VersaHauler for the past two years and have nothing bad to say about it. I am using it on a 2004 Chevy Tahoe w/Class III hitch so it meets the tongue weight requirements. I also opted for the optional turn/brake signal kit as the bike tends to block the tailights when loaded.

I have taken it as far as Beaver Run which is about a 4 hour drive, and had zero problems.

The main thing is to make sure that the rating on the hitch will support the weight. You can easily upgrade the hitch to a class III or better, and since these are frame mounted they easily can deal with the weight.

I haul a 2006 GSX-R600 back and forth to the track with this set-up and have really been pleasantly surprised at how easy it is.

Incidentally, I got the top of the line VersaHaul that is rated to 600 lbs of bike on it, it also comes with the ramp which stows on the hauler and has an anti-tilt collar on the hitch, it actually keeps the rig from tilting when you tighten everything up.

Unfortunately I do not have a picture showing the set-up, but if anyone is up at Summit on April 1 for Roger's track day, I will be there with my set-up and you can see for yourself.

You don't always get slower as you get older
Unread
  (#12)
Knee Draggin!

March 16, 2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edrod68 View Post
I have been using a VersaHauler for the past two years and have nothing bad to say about it. I am using it on a 2004 Chevy Tahoe w/Class III hitch so it meets the tongue weight requirements. I also opted for the optional turn/brake signal kit as the bike tends to block the tailights when loaded.

I have taken it as far as Beaver Run which is about a 4 hour drive, and had zero problems.

The main thing is to make sure that the rating on the hitch will support the weight. You can easily upgrade the hitch to a class III or better, and since these are frame mounted they easily can deal with the weight.

I haul a 2006 GSX-R600 back and forth to the track with this set-up and have really been pleasantly surprised at how easy it is.

Incidentally, I got the top of the line VersaHaul that is rated to 600 lbs of bike on it, it also comes with the ramp which stows on the hauler and has an anti-tilt collar on the hitch, it actually keeps the rig from tilting when you tighten everything up.

Unfortunately I do not have a picture showing the set-up, but if anyone is up at Summit on April 1 for Roger's track day, I will be there with my set-up and you can see for yourself.
Good to know, thanks.

08 CBR10RR8
NESBA - I #89