DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 537
1 members and 536 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > Tips from the Experts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#16)
Cager

July 14, 2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
i use the dupont teflon lube and my fz1 oem chain lasted 40k+ with it. i may have gotten as many miles just cleaning with wd40 or lubing with gear oil, but in my experience this can works for me so i stick with it.

+1. Great lube that doesn't fling. Only Lowe's carry them so I went there one day and got 3. I am good for whole year or so I think

-J. Beaver
--bike-less for now
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#17)
Range Rover Owner

July 15, 2014, 07:23 AM

^ noted. thanks.
Unread
  (#18)
YEAH SCIENCE!

July 16, 2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pDubs View Post
I would stay away from using wd40. It is not formulated as a lube. It stands for water displacement and has been known to dry out o-rings in modern o-ring motorcycle chains. My 2 cans of cleaner and lube cost like 15 bucks and I've had them for like 2 years. Do a clean and lube while it's warm about once a month or so.

edit: When I say "while it's warm" I meant the chain itself. After a ride the chain is warmed up and cleaning and lubing it penetrates the o-rings better when it's warmed up.

wd-40 is way to light and also evaporates. As I said above it's original formulated purpose was water and moisture displacement
WD40 will not ruin your O rings.........and it's fine to use
Unread
  (#19)
250 cc's of awesomeness

July 16, 2014, 08:51 PM

Kerosene or gas to clean and Belray lube is what I use. I actually mostly use Belray products now a days, chain lube, filter oil, and grease.

WD-40 is too light and doesn't stay in place in my experience.
Unread
  (#20)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

July 16, 2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutsup View Post
This has been my experience with it.

Has the same chain and sprocket on my f4i for close to 25k miles without a hiccup.

I only use it to loosen up the gunk on the chain and clean it.

Then I give it a quick shot of lube and I'm done.

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nard Dog
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

Discord - camelhumps#7702
Unread
  (#21)
unapologetic

July 16, 2014, 11:30 PM

all of these recommendations are correct in their own way, but we are forgetting the only real question for the OP.

What do you consider chain maintenance? How often and under what conditions are you "maintaining" the chain? How did you install the chain or have you not owned it since brand new? Are you racing, track day riding, street riding or all?

My race chains were hung on a nail in a fence and sprayed with WD40 to remove the white rust resistant grease and to clean and lubricate the chain to a glorious shine before installing it. Once installed, the chain was adjusted after a few heat cycles to closer tolerances and lubricated while hot at the end of every on-track day. The chain was cleaned and relubed with a WD-40 sprayed cotton rag that removed the gunk until the links gleamed like new. Front and rear sprockets were also cleaned as was the well up front around the countershaft sprocket. Chains were replaced as necessary through the year if the adjustment moved the rear tire too much to upset the bike geometry/rear sprocket angle or if "flat kinking" was beginning to occur.

And chain lube is like tire shine and gun lube; if you're putting so much on that it's flinging all over the place while being used, you're putting too much on.

I don't know what to tell you about street chains. In my experience I treat them like I treat my race chains and I've never had any problems.

Your results may vary.

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
Unread
  (#22)
YEAH SCIENCE!

July 21, 2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pDubs View Post
I would stay away from using wd40. It is not formulated as a lube. It stands for water displacement and has been known to dry out o-rings in modern o-ring motorcycle chains. My 2 cans of cleaner and lube cost like 15 bucks and I've had them for like 2 years. Do a clean and lube while it's warm about once a month or so.

edit: When I say "while it's warm" I meant the chain itself. After a ride the chain is warmed up and cleaning and lubing it penetrates the o-rings better when it's warmed up.

wd-40 is way to light and also evaporates. As I said above it's original formulated purpose was water and moisture displacement
Should have mentioned in my previous post, but you do know that most modern chains are sealed with grease right? So how would WD-40 "dry out" your O-rings, X-rings, etc etc?

Same with making sure your chain is warm before lubing. It's all yada yada yada nonsense in my opinion

Last edited by wutsup; July 21, 2014 at 12:48 AM..
Unread
  (#23)
MSF Student

July 31, 2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutsup View Post
noted