DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 556
2 members and 554 guests
2blueyam, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Track Day Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools
8/8/10 Sheeny & 8/9/10 Main
Unread
  (#1)
Knee Draggin!

Thumbs up 8/8/10 Sheeny & 8/9/10 Main - August 10, 2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Great times yesterday on Shenandoah. However, it was a day of crashing for many. I estimate maybe in the order of 15 total crashes, probably more. I think pretty much every intermediate session was red flagged, sometimes for multiple crashes. There were a few in advanced group in which I rode as well, but I got to see the checkered flag maybe three times. As far as I know, however, no one was seriously injured.

Not sure why people were crashing. I group ran pretty slow since there were so many riders. Overall it was a huge turnout, and Roger split the beginners into two groups. The A group was a perfect size. [insert more disjointed rambling here]

Thanks go out to Michelle (ninja) and Cam (Camdlux) for making down time in the pits fun. Both of you looked great out there, and I especially enjoyed seeing the Duke turning laps. Good to see Nick (The Bogert) and Alex and Paris of Ram Cycles as well.

I think Roger might have actually ended in the black yesterday, but he probably could have used a few more control riders.

Shenny, 8/8/10

I had a blast at both days. As with any trackday you'll always have people riding over their head. OrangeShirtDude, now that I see the picture of your bike I remember seeing you on the track. You should have walked up to me during registration and said hi! My wife (JennTheBiker or.. JTB) was in the orange Roger Lyle shirt at registration.

The temp's at Shenny where perfect with a very nice breeze. One forgets all the left turns on that track until by the end of the day I was wondering why I couldn't walk in a straight line. Left leg was done! Good thing day 2 would be a right turn track!

Oh and the BBQ that Roger hosted after the Shenny day at Main. Did you guys go to that! WOW! They had that slow cooker and lunch was hosted by Roger. Talk about amazing food!

Roger also gave out 3 free trackdays to people that had their bikes through tech before the riders meeting. THREE FREE TRACKDAYS! I've always seen him give out one day after tech but never three. The day for me was simply amazing and defiantly a skill building workout for everyone who showed up no matter how much or how little experience they had.

Dillon Scott also gave a hands down great presentation at lunch time that was perfect for the novice all the way to the expert racer for the Shenny track. He always seems to speak with so much enthusiasm, you can tell it comes from the heart. Hearing him speak at lunch is always worth your 15 - 30 minutes.

Main 8/9/10
If you hit the first one you had to hit the second one. Nothing like instruction from expert racers and great coaches that Roger had with him (then again I might be a little bias because of my wife). The track felt really good.

107 degrees, yeah, that is what my lap timer thought the temperature was sitting in the shade 10 minutes after I had pulled it off my bike. (I only used the timer for about two sessions and I wasn't very happy with the results, but I was a lot faster than before. Now if I could only get into the low 20's!) The fan was moving air which was a little bit cooler than not having a fan, but it still felt like a hair dryer. Every time that breeze would come up, wow, what a great feeling.

You guys should go check out the pictures online! Lot's of great shots, looks like the photo guy was everywhere.
Race Day Photo

Oh, and I think my wife is still faster. Has a fun time mixing it up with her, but I laid down the hammer in turn 10 every time. After this trackday I think she might run a different line next time.

So, who's up for main on August 25th! Woot!

08 GSXR 600 (track), 07 GSXR 600 (race), 07 DRZ 400SM
02 FZ1, 88 Honda Shadow VLX
99 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic (Sold Dec 2010)
Trackdays with: http://www.motorcyclexcitement.com/
Racing blog and info: http://www.jtbskitchen.com/racing
WERA #231

Last edited by PhilTheBiker; August 10, 2010 at 09:03 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Sick!!!

August 11, 2010, 01:32 PM

First off I want to thank Roger for putting on a well organized track day. Having been my first track day, I found everything to be noob friendly, and the coaches had no problem helping you with any question you may have had on or off the track.

I started in the day in B group where everything started off slow and safe. Later in the day at Sheeny I found my self running down slower riders in turns but I was able to maintain Spacing so not to have to limit my self. In B group there was no incidents, I and A group total there was around 15 crashes. luckily nothing serious. At the end of the day the BBQ hit the spot before I headed home. If I had planned better I would have camped out.

Monday was another great day for riding. I did a few sessions in B group then was moved up to I group. Riding with I group made it easier to keep a good rhythm even know I found my self getting passed in the straights.

It was good to see and talk to everyone from .NET (Cam, Ben, Nate, Orangeshirtdude, Nate's boss. might be forgetting someone)

I've uploaded 3 of the videos I took. Critiques and pointers are welcome! Any thing that will help me ride better is smiled upon. The videos are just raw, no editing so I found watching them kinda boring so if you make it through them good for you, haha.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01018.jpg (516.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01020.jpg (523.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01021.jpg (555.9 KB, 50 views)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to The Bogert  
Unread
  (#3)
Licensed Rider

August 11, 2010, 03:52 PM

hey bogert, i was pitted next to you. Dude with the silver f4i. Everything seemed great until our track time was severely cut due to numerous crashes. It was unbelievable on how many wrecks there were. Wish there were more control riders out there. Ratio of riders to coaches/control riders were a bit off. There were def people who needed to get bumped or dropped from I group, but couldn't really happen as stated above, not enough coaches/control riders. There were a lot of frustration out there as i can tell since there were so many bikes on the track. Maybe next time roger might consider putting a cap on how many people are allowed to sign up to ensure everyone that goes has a great time. just a thought.
Unread
  (#4)
Knee Draggin!

August 12, 2010, 01:07 PM

The Shenny day did have a lot of riders going over their heads. A lot of beginner riders experienced Shenny for the first time and as with any time on the track many of you know control riders can not stop people from making rider errors. The last two Shenny days were not nearly as intense with rider errors. Combination of heat and riders thinking they could do things they could not may have also played a role? I donno.

I ran 5 or 6 sessions on Main and never saw a red flag throughout the entire day. JTB ran 5 or 6 sessions and never saw a red flag throughout the entire day. After lunch there was a crash where one person took another person out (mechanical from what I saw) which caused a red flag for the 'A' group. I went out with the crash truck(s) and helped clean up the mess at turn 3 as quickly as we could (it was a mess). The 'A' group was re-released and if memory serves me right two people crashed at the same time at completely different ends of the track. Again, clean up had to happen. The crash truck crew did a great job and cleaning up spills and parts from the few crashes that I was aware of.

Over all, I really don't remember many red flags on the Main circuit. I had a great time and I think I found a way to squeeze in the August 25th Roger Lyle day at main, and I hope my new front sprocket with the -1 teeth is installed by then because I want to see how much drive I get out of turn two!

Might even connect up the GoPro and see if I can keep up with my wife. Hope to see you on Main!

WERA #231
Unread
  (#5)
Derpentine Dealer

August 12, 2010, 01:14 PM

I'd do another couple of Shenandoah days with TPM if they weren't so ridiculously expensive. I'm sorry, but $200 plus membership this late in the season.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#6)
Knee Draggin!

August 13, 2010, 08:48 AM

Last Shenny day with Roger is September 6th. Next time say hi to me when you register! LOL!

WERA #231
Unread
  (#7)
Licensed Rider

August 14, 2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
I'd do another couple of Shenandoah days with TPM if they weren't so ridiculously expensive. I'm sorry, but $200 plus membership this late in the season.
i was reluctant on the full throttle membership also, but i gave it a go since i get my money back after like 3 td. and now, i'm trying to get my money's worth and keep on telling myself, "i save more if i do more td" logic. -= 0
Unread
  (#8)
Knee Draggin!

August 16, 2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaSquashYou View Post
i was reluctant on the full throttle membership also, but i gave it a go since i get my money back after like 3 td. and now, i'm trying to get my money's worth and keep on telling myself, "i save more if i do more td" logic. -= 0

LOL that's great.

My wife always tells me "oh look, I saved $5 on a $30 item" and I always say "You would have saved all of your money if you didn't spend it". LOL!

WERA #231