DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 552
2 members and 550 guests
2blueyam, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Track Day Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools
First Trackday + Great Fun= Addicted
Unread
  (#1)
Railing!

First Trackday + Great Fun= Addicted - September 18, 2012, 01:19 PM

This past Sunday (09/16/12), I experienced my first trackday ever at VIR North Course. Holy **** what a time it was! I now see why everybody says its addicting. As mandatory, I took the ART L1 school through Team Pro Motion and ran in white group (I ran the red, naked, 2nd Gen sv650, I was in blue leathers/helmet, I think my ART jersey was #5). The weather for the day was rain until approx 11am, then it stopped raining and started to dry up for the after lunch sessions. My bike setup is as follows:

'06 sv650s:
FMF full Ti exhaust
PCIII w/ map for Leo Vince full & stock/aftermarket air filter off the PC website
Penske Double
GSXR internals in forks by Pattonme w/ .90 Sonic Springs
SVRacing Parts rearset risers
GSXR rear wheel
Speigler SS brake lines
Michelin Pilot Power front and back at 30/30psi
aTRE
K&N air filter
GSXR damper w/ Nucular mounts
15/47 gearing by Driven w/ 520 chain

.......Now for the report:

Woke up at 0430 to drive from Lynchburg to VIR. Got to VIR and it was POURING! I was not very happy considering I have been wanting to do a trackday for 2 years, finally got to one, and its RAINING! I found my way to the tech area and talked with Billy, who ended up being my ART instructor, about the horrible weather and whether to sign in or not. He said its supposed to clear up in the afternoon and his best classes are always rain in the morning, then dry in the afternoon. He was exactly right. The rain in the morning forced everybody to take it easy, learn the correct lines, and practice smoothness on the course. Once it dried up in the afternoon we were already comfortable with the course and could let it rip!

First Session out was soaking wet and still raining. I was nervous as hell to be on a track, let alone in the wet!!! The coach (J.Shep) pointed out all the lines for us, also indicated by the cones. Once back in the classroom Billy harped on looking through the turns, forward vision, proper entry into corners, being smooth, hitting your reference points (cones).

Second Session out was soaking wet as well, lines were pointed out once more by JShep, but we opened it up slightly more as some people were getting more comfortable with the wet track. I would have never dreamed street tires had that much grip in the rain. After this session I was MUCH more relaxed and familiar with the lines as I mimicked JShep.

Third Session out we were allowed to pass, but it was still wet out, however the rain stopped and the track was slowly drying. The instructors were supposed to evaluate us a bit, but everyone got spread out and that idea kind of went away. LOL. We were able to pick up the pace big time and I kept up with the coach in front of me and mimicked his lines.

Lunch

Fourth Session out the track was finally dry!!!! We were able to pass and coaches would evaluate us. I ended up behind Charlie (I think thats what his name was. He was a STT instructor on a blue gixxer 1000). Luckily he saw that I was matching him corner for corner and decided to pick it up to see if I could keep up. And he picked it up BIG TIME! He had me flying around that track (at least to me) and he later said the pace we were running was Red Group pace. Once we pitted back in he said he had a blast with me chasing him and wanted me search him out next session. Back in the ART classroom, he described my performance such as "pushing him around the track". I was pumped to get such high praise, but knew I had a loong way to go yet. Next session he wanted to follow me for evaluation.

Fifth Session out I searched for Charlie. He waved me around to pass him so he could evaluate my BP, lines and smoothness. We were ripping the track apart that session (well at least IMO). I tried to get the lines down correctly, but when you have to pass a lot of people in white group it slows you down a bit and forces you to take diff lines to get around them. It was a great learning experience though having to fight through traffic. It also allowed me time to figure out the good places to pass and how to do it safely and correctly. Once we pitted, Charlie gave me a quick evaluation. He said my BP was fantastic and I was carrying tremendous corner speed. In fact he thought I was going to run off the track at some of the corners due to my entry speed, but that it seems I have the trust in my bike to "plant and believe" and the BP/Smoothness on the bike to pull it off. He was quite happy with my ability to work in traffic safely and still be able to pass. He mentioned that I am a bit unpredictable with my lines and need to work on keeping my line once I pass someone on the outside, instead of pulling back into the race line immediately. He explained that I can get away with that in white group, but if I get bumped to a faster group that could lead to some nasty wrecks. He also said I need to work on braking a bit later on the turn after the straightaway. (he demonstrated that nicely by blowing by me before that turn by braking wayyyyy later).

Sixth Session I rode by myself (no instructor following). Me and another guy in white/ART1 class played tag for a long bit until I left him behind me through the turns (ART1 jersey #4, he had a late model blue/white R1 and kept leaving me in the straights). It was nice to just ride and practice my lines and being smooth. I committed to try braking later after the straight and found I could really push it to about the 4th brake marker instead of before the 6th before I applied brake. I also worked on looking ahead further on the course and getting into proper BP before the turn in, during braking.

Seventh Session out I was by myself again until I passed Gixxer Bob, from the TPM staff. He let me lead for a lap then blew by me on the straight. Naturally I followed, wanting to chase a faster person. We wound up flying around the track. He would go as fast as I could keep up with and once he would start to pull away, tune it down a bit so I could catch up, then pick up the pace. After we pitted in he gave me some great feedback as well. He said that the pace we were going was easily Red Group pace and that I actually ride better than some Red Group guys on certain days. He was pumped it was my first trackday and said I should be able to be bumped my next time out. He said I am running a good enough pace to be bumped to Red, but my lines need to become more predictable and I need to work on turning in later and quicker. However, I just have to go to a coach the next trackday and request a bump. If I run like that again during the evaluation, with more predictable lines Id get the bump. His basic evaluation was that I need to work on my predictability, have later & quicker turn ins, as well as become more consistent with my BP. I def do not want to create an unsafe environment for the more advanced riders so I am more than willing to slow it down a bit and work on those things next time around before I pick up the pace again and go for the bump.

In Conclusion

I am thrilled with the coaches feedback about my performance on my first trackday, but I have ALOT to work on. I am mainly pumped to be told I was running Red Group pace, but I know I still have a ways to go to be considered quick or get a bump. Patience and correct technique is key! The following is the feedback I got from the coaches:

What I need to work on:
1) Become more predictable with my lines (dont cut back into race line after a pass)
2) Work on quicker, later turn ins
3) Become 100% consistent with my BP
4) Initiate braking later

What I did well:
1) Overall good BP
2) Carrying tremendous speed through turns
3) Comfortable in traffic
4) Can lean it over and trust it to stick
5) Smooth on the bike
6) Running at Red Group pace

All in all I cannot wait for my next trackday to improve upon those recommendations! unk

I want to give a HUGE shout out to Team Pro Motion and their staff. They made my first track day tremendously enjoyable and I am now an addict. The event was well organized, informative, and safe despite the rain. I will most certainly continue to ride with TPM and recommend them to anyone! I want to specifically thank Gixxer Charlie from STT, Gixxer Bob from TPM, and Billy from TPM for all of the informative and helpful feedback and for pushing me throughout the day! Yall made my day

PICS

I know some guys can "read" tires. So have at it. More pics to follow

Rear

Right Rear

Left Rear

Right Front

Left Front

Last edited by !ThatGuy!; September 19, 2012 at 08:40 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

September 18, 2012, 01:29 PM

Looks like you did everything right, and you didn't hold back on leaning either judging by your tires, congrats!!! Nice report.

2011 Ducati Diavel Chromo (Current)
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Current)
2006 BMW R1200ST
2003 BMW K1200GT (Current)
2004 Ducati 998s Final Edition (Current)
1997 Aprilia RS250
1998 BMW K1200RS
2000 Ducati 998
1998 Pegaso 650
1999 Ducati 996S
2004 BMW R1150R
2005 Aprilia RSVR Factory
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Buell Ulysses
1991 Suzuki GSX-1100R
1991 Honda Africa Twin 750
2008 Mobster Lefty Trophy pitbike
2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
1990 Aprilia Pegaso 125
1991 Ducati 888
1995 Honda CR250
1996 Aprilia RS125
1995 Aprilia Sr 50
1984 Kram-it 50
Unread
  (#3)
Typical Stripper

September 18, 2012, 01:32 PM

Nice! If we dont run into eachother this year, see you out there next year!

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Track Day addict

September 18, 2012, 01:44 PM

Your tires look good, but you were on an SV650 which is very easy on tires. Possibly a little tiny bit of cupping on the rear, but if the suspension feels good, I wouldn't change it because of that. It sounds like you had a great day. Welcome to the addiction.

Dale - 2004 SV 650 track, 2003 R1 track, 2007 Tuono
Unread
  (#5)
Railing!

September 18, 2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist View Post
Nice! If we dont run into eachother this year, see you out there next year!
Sounds good! My "plan" is to hopefully be able to race next year. However, there is ALOT I have to do between now and then to be at race pace SAFELY. lol. Any tips appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blueyam View Post
Your tires look good, but you were on an SV650 which is very easy on tires. Possibly a little tiny bit of cupping on the rear, but if the suspension feels good, I wouldn't change it because of that. It sounds like you had a great day. Welcome to the addiction.
What do you mean by cupping? And the suspension felt great, however Im not going to be a good judge of that quite yet. It was my first trackday ever + my first time out on a Penske sprung for my weight. I was coming off a GSXR rear shock before, so the Penske felt like heaven compared to that. I guess I will start to feel the subtle differences as I gain experience.

EDIT: figured out what cupping was. maybe I should get my suspension settings checked out. not a pro at that either. where is MetricMike when I need him. LOL

Last edited by !ThatGuy!; September 18, 2012 at 01:58 PM..
Unread
  (#6)
Railing!

September 18, 2012, 02:05 PM

oops. and I just saw the section for trackday reports so if an admin feels the need to move this thread go for it. thats my bad.
Unread
  (#7)
Typical Stripper

September 18, 2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !ThatGuy! View Post
Sounds good! My "plan" is to hopefully be able to race next year. However, there is ALOT I have to do between now and then to be at race pace SAFELY. lol. Any tips appreciated
Go faster!

Seriously though - do a couple more TDs this year. Get yourself into a race school in the spring.

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
Unread
  (#8)
Air-Cooled Goodness

September 18, 2012, 02:11 PM

Hey, I think I was pitted next to you? Camo and black 1st gen SV. Glad to hear you had a good time. I ran out of gas (like an idiot) during the last session and got to watch the white group from the turn 4 tub while they finished the last rotation. I remember seeing you go by and thinking... he is rolling pretty damn good for his first trackday!

-Tommy
Unread
  (#9)
opossum puncher

September 18, 2012, 02:18 PM

Sounds like you had a blast, thats great!

Fix your exhaust hanger though, the hanger ends should be on the same side (outside) of the passenger peg hanger.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#10)
Typical Stripper

September 18, 2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool View Post

Fix your exhaust hanger though, the hanger ends should be on the same side (outside) of the passenger peg hanger.
Depends on the can and hanger on the SV - for most the would go on a stock rearset, I'd mount to the inside.

Unread
  (#11)
Railing!

September 18, 2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist View Post
Go faster!

Seriously though - do a couple more TDs this year. Get yourself into a race school in the spring.
I am planning on going to Shenny for the weekend in October and POSSIBLY NCBIKE. Would you recommend the TPM race school or a diff one? Maybe Cornerspeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
Hey, I think I was pitted next to you? Camo and black 1st gen SV. Glad to hear you had a good time. I ran out of gas (like an idiot) during the last session and got to watch the white group from the turn 4 tub while they finished the last rotation. I remember seeing you go by and thinking... he is rolling pretty damn good for his first trackday!
Im pretty sure you were. Im the guy who borrowed JSheps air gauge in the morning. Had my GF with me. But yeah I had a blast! Thanks for the compliment. I loved that section. Tried waiting to the very last second to tip into turn 4 as instructed by Billy. It worked just like he said, but it was damn scary. Also kinda sucked in that section as everyone gets bunched up and ya cant exactly pass there. Well at least I cant yet. That last session I was chasing Gixxer Bob, and holy shit he can fly. Gave me some great feedback tho. haha. Hope to see ya out again this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool View Post

Yeah, I need to change that. I used to have a Yoshi on there and the ends were on separate sides, but with the FMF I need to put them both on the inside.

Last edited by !ThatGuy!; September 18, 2012 at 02:44 PM..
Unread
  (#12)
Typical Stripper

September 18, 2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !ThatGuy! View Post
I am planning on going to Shenny for the weekend in October and POSSIBLY NCBIKE. Would you recommend the TPM race school or a diff one? Maybe Cornerspeed?
I will be up at Shenny and Main for the 2 day in Oct with Roger Lyle (28/29)

Race School - if you can get CS to work, DO IT! It is IMO the top notch place to go. If not, I also liked the MARRC school, the guys that instruct are awesome.

Unread
  (#13)
SUPERBITCHIN'

September 18, 2012, 09:37 PM

my first track day I pooped my pants. I noticed that you did better than me, good for you, keep up the good work.

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#14)
Railing!

September 19, 2012, 08:41 AM

All pics added. Sorry for the shitty quality. After looking at these I realize I can get my upper body down and over ALOT more. Def something to work on for next time.
Unread
  (#15)
Typical Stripper

September 19, 2012, 08:53 AM

Definately a lack of consistency in the body position and lines just from those couple of pictures, but you'll get there. Ass off the seat more!!!