DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 570
4 members and 566 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, dubplaya, legendindisguise
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Track Day Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools
Marrc TD B Group 02Jul10
Unread
  (#1)
Crackdays for everyone!

Marrc TD B Group 02Jul10 - July 5, 2010, 02:03 PM

So this was my second track day on Main and my second time with Marrc. During the last track day I was filming in the morning but my camera was having issues in the afternoon. Along with the having issues with the laptops I was using for dumping the video's on. But I was able to watch and see what I need to work on. I really felt better in the afternoon but I didn't have really any other bikes on track with me and I didn't get video. So the only think I could go by was what I saw in the video's in the morning sessions. I saw a lot of quick on/off the throttle and brakes and a lot of mid turn correcting. This lead me to believe I need to work on those areas before I considered looking for a bump. So I looked at wanting to be smooth with my inputs and transitions and find a good line from 5 through 8.

This time I around I got to follow around N8 and see what he was doing. I felt like he was much faster than me going from turn 3 and 4 but I felt strong in 5, 6, and 7. After I smoothed out that area of course. Still having an issue with carrying speed through turn 4. I usually roll back off the throttle going up the hill. N8 never backed down going through turn 4 so I ended up having to make up the difference in 5 and 6. I talked to a few CR's when I would come off and I wouldn't get much more than the usual, "need to carry more speed in 1, 4, and 10".

Here is a quick video of me following N8 for a while till we get split up. Then later I get some open track to play catch up. At some point Gus passes me like I threw a parachute air brake out. But that motivated me to go faster into turn 10. Which ended up helping the rest of the day, I think.

http://www.photoshop.com/?user=mcknu...ackingid=BTAGC

Let me first say that I enjoyed both of my track days with Marrc and will continue to make each event held by Marrc. I would hope that I can offer some advise without it coming off as being a dick or picking.

1. I think its almost weird that an announcement has to be made for CR's to report to the pit for B group riders. Two different times I shut my bike off waiting in pit out for CR's to show up. Granted it was like we weren't waiting for a very long periods. But none the less we were waiting and this has to have an effect on our time on course. If CR's are staged it might make it easier for riders to link up with certain cr's and try to stay with a certain cr.

2. During tech inspection someone was sent back to number their bike with yellow plates on the rear. I had just passed and there was no numbers on my bike on there rear. Let alone having yellow plates on the rear. I understand that it makes it much easier for the track crew to id the bike if you have numbers on the rear. I would have had number myself but I was running a stock rear plastic with the passenger seat. Seemed to me the numbers would have been so small that it wouldn't have made much sense. I think the communication between everyone that is helping with registration and tech inspection needs some improvement.

3. During the first session in the morning I was passed on the inside by a rider as we were coming up on turn 10. I had to check up pretty hard coming up on some slower traffic. I wrote the pass off as the rider probably taking a safer line as to not ass pack me. But then we hit the straight and the rider drops the hammer and passes like 6 or 7 bikes. I was like wft man. I thought it was pretty clear that there was to be no passing at all in the morning sessions. In the second session in the morning I was rolling around and next thing I know a bike low sides right in front of me. We pit in and the CR that was behind me when it happened tells us that we need to pass slower traffic when we have the chance. That this bunched up traffic was probably to blame in the low side. I reply back with, "wait a minute. We were told 'no passing' during the riders meeting for b group riders till the afternoon sessions. If that has changed we need to let everyone know." The CR replies back, "well then I need to talk to Rick about that then. He needs to either let everyone know that passing is okay. Or if passing is a no go he needs to change that and make an announcement telling everyone". We re pit to head back out for the rest of the session and right before going out a CR informs us that passing is now allowed in the straight and in between 9 and 10. I don't mind the change but it was obvious that the CR didn't know that passing wasn't allowed in the morning sessions in the first place. It should be a key factor that all the cr's are on the same page on every detail. Less confusion for the riders that way.

Like I said, I loved both of my track day's and look forward to the next one. I have things that need to be worked out and I hope that this is looked at in the same light. I did see a much smoother operation with registration this time around and the riders meeting seemed to cover more information. I liked how the crew got us back on the track after both red flags we got in b group. In other org's I have experienced then ending the sessions anytime there was red flag. I was confused as I saw a local yellow and I thought it was said in the riders meeting that local yellow's would not be seen. Good thing we went over it in the meeting!!

Matt K.
09 R6

Last edited by ZX-Matt; July 5, 2010 at 02:38 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ZX-Matt  
Unread
  (#2)
Traction Control

July 5, 2010, 02:19 PM

was a pretty good day.

with regards to #2: I had numbers on my tail section with no plate behind them (black painted tail with white numbers). The only thing I needed on both marrc track days was a yellow plate on the FRONT. I was confused when I heard a couple people were told they need yellow on the rear.

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#3)
I got nuthin

July 5, 2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecknojoe View Post
was a pretty good day.

with regards to #2: I had numbers on my tail section with no plate behind them (black painted tail with white numbers). The only thing I needed on both marrc track days was a yellow plate on the FRONT. I was confused when I heard a couple people were told they need yellow on the rear.
I was sent back cause I had no numbers on the rear. There was definatly a lack of communication(tech and passing) but it all worked out to be an incredible day! Come to I Matt, 27th!!!

R.I.P. Jeff Vega

1983 Honda XR80
1989 Honda Rebel 250
1983 Yamaha Maxim 750
1986 Honda Shadow 700
2002 Ducati Monster Dark 600
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
2011 HD Sportster 1200 Custom
2001 Suzuki SV 650
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Taty  
Unread
  (#4)
Chillin...

July 5, 2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR Matt View Post
1. I think its almost weird that an announcement has to be made for CR's to report to the pit for B group riders. Two different times I shut my bike off waiting in pit out for CR's to show up. Granted it was like we weren't waiting for a very long periods. But none the less we were waiting and this has to have an effect on our time on course. If CR's are staged it might make it easier for riders to link up with certain cr's and try to stay with a certain cr.
Keep in mind that CR's are also riding in the I and Racer groups. They need to be able to get out there with riders of their own calibur as well as helping the B group. I made the announcement because there were SO many riders in B group and I didn't want to send a bunch of new riders out without any CR in sight. The waiting did NOT have any effect on your time on course. Time for any and all groups started when the first bike exited pit out. We do not let the clock run on an empty track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR Matt View Post
3. During the first session in the morning I was passed on the inside by a rider as we were coming up on turn 10. I had to check up pretty hard coming up on some slower traffic. I wrote the pass off as the rider probably taking a safer line as to not ass pack me. But then we hit the straight and the rider drops the hammer and passes like 6 or 7 bikes. I was like wft man. I thought it was pretty clear that there was to be no passing at all in the morning sessions. In the second session in the morning I was rolling around and next thing I know a bike low sides right in front of me. We pit in and the CR that was behind me when it happened tells us that we need to pass slower traffic when we have the chance. That this bunched up traffic was probably to blame in the low side. I reply back with, "wait a minute. We were told 'no passing' during the riders meeting for b group riders till the afternoon sessions. If that has changed we need to let everyone know." The CR replies back, "well then I need to talk to Rick about that then. He needs to either let everyone know that passing is okay. Or if passing is a no go he needs to change that and make an announcement telling everyone". We re pit to head back out for the rest of the session and right before going out a CR informs us that passing is now allowed in the straight and in between 9 and 10. I don't mind the change but it was obvious that the CR didn't know that passing wasn't allowed in the morning sessions in the first place. It should be a key factor that all the cr's are on the same page on every detail. Less confusion for the riders that way.
The CR did know that passing was not allowed in the morning sessions but because there were so many riders in B group and everyone was getting bunched up, he talked to me about it before sending you guys back out again. I made a command decision to let you guys pass on the straights from then on out for the rest of the day. We (Rick and whomever is working pit out and control) depend on the riders on the track to let us know what's going on out there and if a CR tells me that it is unsafe to continue the no passing rule, then the rules change. You were all sitting at hot pit waiting for the restart so it was a perfect time to let all of you know that passing on the straights was ok.

ELITE RACING PIT BITCH
MARRC Cornerworker of the Year 2009
www.marrc.org

Godspeed Bambi...September 11th 2009
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Crackdays for everyone!

July 5, 2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscastle228 View Post
Keep in mind that CR's are also riding in the I and Racer groups. They need to be able to get out there with riders of their own calibur as well as helping the B group. I made the announcement because there were SO many riders in B group and I didn't want to send a bunch of new riders out without any CR in sight. The waiting did NOT have any effect on your time on course. Time for any and all groups started when the first bike exited pit out. We do not let the clock run on an empty track.
Understandable. I really am thankful for all that volunteer their time for us to enjoy some time on the track. I'm grateful all the time I got on the track. I was happy as hell each time we were able to get back on the track after the few red flags we had. Thanks for making that happen. I guess my point is that I don't feel you should have to make an announcement. I feel like an ass if I make it out there after the third call. I feel like its harder on me and the staff that is working there. I know for a fact that I was in pit out waiting to enter the track after a group was sent out. And I was waiting for a CR to take out the next group. So yea, if the time started after the bikes were on track then part of my time was wasted in the pits. Again, not a big deal. I still feel great about my time on the track. But maybe its something that could be worked on for the next one.

Quote:
The CR did know that passing was not allowed in the morning sessions but because there were so many riders in B group and everyone was getting bunched up, he talked to me about it before sending you guys back out again. I made a command decision to let you guys pass on the straights from then on out for the rest of the day. We (Rick and whomever is working pit out and control) depend on the riders on the track to let us know what's going on out there and if a CR tells me that it is unsafe to continue the no passing rule, then the rules change. You were all sitting at hot pit waiting for the restart so it was a perfect time to let all of you know that passing on the straights was ok.
I liked how it was handle. It was totally spot on and the call that was made was perfect. By having someone come up to each rider before entering the track and letting us know the change. It loosened up the track and I know all of us were happy as hell the call was made. But maybe there was confusion between me and the other CR that I thought was telling me that passing was okay on the straight and between 9 and 10. We seemed to be on the same page when he said, "okay. I guess I need to talk to Rick about that then".

Again, I can't state this enough: The day was great and I was happy with everything. But just thought I would offer up some thoughts.

Matt K.
09 R6
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ZX-Matt  
Unread
  (#6)
Popplers!

July 5, 2010, 10:55 PM

Showing up after 3rd call is a way of guaranteeing open tack. I was pissed when B group didn't get their last session; they corrected the issue later. It's bullshit that anyone running the TD thinks that was OK.

I had an awesome day; improved a lot.
Unread
  (#7)
Owner & Creator

July 6, 2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrotx View Post
Showing up after 3rd call is a way of guaranteeing open tack. I was pissed when B group didn't get their last session; they corrected the issue later. It's bullshit that anyone running the TD thinks that was OK.

I had an awesome day; improved a lot.
I heard on the scanner way before the day was over that B group was going to be the last session of the day and they kept their word. They announced it before the mock race even started.
Unread
  (#8)
GP Racer

July 6, 2010, 07:38 AM

^he speaks the truth. Only reason I didnt go out was my knee started to really hurt me. Also thanks again Carnage for following/leading me out that last session we did. I really learned a lot following you.
Unread
  (#9)
Popplers!

July 6, 2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
I heard on the scanner way before the day was over that B group was going to be the last session of the day and they kept their word. They announced it before the mock race even started.
That's fine, but they announced that the race school was the last group to go out. I took off all my gear and started packing up.
Unread
  (#10)
Licensed Rider

July 6, 2010, 01:02 PM

Actually, they did announce that the mock race was to be the last session of the day. However, after about 15 minutes or so, that was changed and the B group was allowed their last session. Had a blast !!! Maybe the control riders should break themselves into small groups to assist with the B group. That way, the same control riders dont have to slow down to help out! Just to be fair to them !! Thanks Gus, had a blast watching your rear tire get smaller and smaller and smaller . . . . . . . . . And thanks to all you other fast as hell control riders
Unread
  (#11)
Owner & Creator

July 6, 2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrotx View Post
That's fine, but they announced that the race school was the last group to go out. I took off all my gear and started packing up.
Unread
  (#12)
Popplers!

July 7, 2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
I don't know what to say to that.

Tags
i suck, marrc is awesome, rick is awesome