DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 557
4 members and 553 guests
2blueyam, BlackHatch, Sal_the_man, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Track Day Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools
Rat's Report - Summit JC - 25 AUG 07
Unread
  (#1)
Resident Rodent

Rat's Report - Summit JC - 25 AUG 07 - August 26, 2007, 10:30 AM

Arrived Friday night to link up with Jeckyll and Jason. JDog couldn't come and PM'd me that he would meet us in the mornin and to save him a spot in the paddock.

We set up our pit and hung out till about 11:00 pm.

Morning came and all was well. Dr. Jeckyll cooked us breakfast and we went to the riders meeting.

I failed tech inspection the first time. My chain was rediculously tight. I had put on new Diablo Corsa III's on Thursday night in a rush ... fixed it ... and we were ready.

Note: It was starting to get HOT ... and I spent alot of sweat screwing around with that chain. I just couldn't get it where I wanted it ... so I played with it for an hour. I guess I really didn't realize how "overheated" I was getting.

So, along comes the first session. I take it slow ... new tires and I had not been on JC for awhile. I'm getting pretty sweaty and hot now ...

Second session. I'm rollin pretty good. Really starting to notice the heat. A guy crashes in front of me and I get it on film, he's OK ...

Jason, who was only signed up for the 2 session "taste of the track" thing that NESBA runs, was able to secure a "real" spot in the "B" group, which was really kewl. He was doing awesome and having a blast.

Third session ... I'm ROCKIN that joint. Was AWESOME ... but about 10 minutes after coming off the track ... I don't feel so good ...

Well, it was lunchtime ... so, I took it easy and tried to cool off. That's when the headache and cramps started ...

Steelrain, Mr. Pink, Shift, and others showed up about that time. I could tell by the way they were talking to me that I must not look too good ... and I really didn't realize that it was that obvious. It was 99 degrees and 100 percent humidity. Total misery.

So, I stuck it out. I don't give up easy. That was prolly a mistake. I shoulda called it a day, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

I went back out after lunch and could only stay out a half session. When I came in, it was so hot that my bike overheated ...

I think the fan quit working. Nate and the guys put a fan on it for me while I tried to stay cool.

Sessions 5 and 6 were similar. I could only stay out a half session ... and I really prolly shouldn't have gone out. I was making some pretty bad mistakes. Youll see some in the video, prolly.

I took too tight a line into "1" twice and banged my knee on the rumble strip. JDogg got the bump to "I" in session 6 ... and Jason crashed (minor lowside) in session 5. Jason got his bike all back together and re-teched for session 7 and I was gonna go out with JDogg for as long as I could stand it to get some video of him for session 7, too.

That's when the thunder and lightning started ... and they closed the track. I have to admit ... I was glad. I was totally spent. Totally, totally spent.

Within an hour there was a major downpour and 50 mph winds. We all got our stuff sheltered and pretty much everybody was able to leave before it hit.

I had planned to stay the night and film Hollywood and Bam-Bam at the CCS races today (Sunday) ... but I was feeling pretty sick, all my stuff was wet, half of it was put away ... and I really needed a decent night's rest.

When there was a lull in the storm, I threw the rest of my stuff into my truck, loaded my bike and came home (sorry Chris & Gregg ... I really wanted to come film ya today).

But, I did have a blast those first 3 sessions ... and, as always, was great to be out with everybody.

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
NOM NOM NOM

August 26, 2007, 10:38 AM

good report rat...drink plenty fluid dude..gald u doing fine afterward
Unread
  (#3)
2 wheels for life

August 26, 2007, 11:27 AM

Yea never over exert ur self .. a cramp can cause a crash
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Now Riding Red

August 26, 2007, 11:30 AM

Nice write up and pics Rat. Sorry to hear about your heat woes. I rode to DC yesterday to the Zoo and when I left in the afternoon my bike was all pissy because of the heat. Felt like riding a hibachi into a wall of hairdryers. By the time I got home I was feeling the misery too.
Hope you are doing better today.
Need to get ya one of those mist fans they have at events.
That or I need to invent a liquid cooled riding suit and become a millionaire.

‎"Death walks beside every man, but only the mercenary turns and waves."

Troye-ame-Ven, Writer, Philosopher, Mortal

M
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Nubbs ban yourself!

August 26, 2007, 11:33 AM

This is as much to myself as to anyone else out there.
To really hydrate ourselves we have to drink the right amount of water days and I mean days ahead of when we plan on being out in the weather. Drinking a bunch the day of just comes right out...

My accident happened on my dirt bike because of exhaustion. Earlier that day I was flying around with no problems keeping up with everyone.
3 hours later I was doing like 20mph and my friends passing me looking at me like, "What the hell are you doing?" It was time to stop I just couldn't, my love for being out there got the best of me.

Glad you made it through the day ok RAT!!!!

I love the pics RAT you looked awesome!!!
Unread
  (#6)
Resident Rodent

August 26, 2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport
It was time to stop I just couldn't, my love for being out there got the best of me.
Yup.

That's exactly what happened.

I gotta get a covered trailer or small RV with AC (and heat).

I'm to that stage.

(she's gonna kill me ... you know who I mean)

- Rat

Last edited by Magic-Rat; August 26, 2007 at 01:09 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

August 26, 2007, 01:09 PM

nice report and pics!!

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico  
Unread
  (#8)
Nubbs ban yourself!

August 26, 2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-Rat
Yup.

That's exactly what happened.

I gotta get a covered trailer or small RV with AC (and heat).

I'm to that stage.

(she's gonna kill me ... you know who I mean)
She would kill you even more if you got hurt.
My wife really wanted me to get rid of the dirt bike after my accident. I really didn't want to but a year in rehab and still paying the note made it a no brainer. I still rode my street bike with a broken collarbone.
My first time on the track at summit I came home and my wife said, "If you had gone down that would be it I've had it"
If your wife has never been to the track you should take her and let her see all the money guys and girls spend on this passion. Big money RV's, generators, tools etc and maybe she will understand!!!

When I was out at Summit this weekend I went into the bathroom and it had AC! I couldn't believe more people weren't just hanging out in there.!!!
Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

August 27, 2007, 06:50 AM

(copied from .com since I'm lazy...)

Haha, my name's Jason now...(psst, it's Mike good report, I was almost with you on that dehydration, but somehow I got lucky with downing as much fluid halfway through the day.
Anyway, I'm hooked on the track now. Like Rat said, I signed up for the intro group with just two sessions, but that wasn't enough. I bothered the CRs until they finally gave in (actually, someone had just been bumped up to I, opening a spot for me)
I showed up on Friday and met Jekyll up there, and he was kind enough to give me some of the steak and baked potatoes that he had grilled, mmmm. After a while, Rat made an appearance and we helped set up the EZup and everything. ran our mouths for a while and then it was time for sleep.
Wake up and it's already warm and muggy...great. JDogg showed up (must be nice living so close...) Get everything ready to go, register, and pass tech. I got to the first session late, so I didn't get to hook up with a CR beforehand, but one showed me the his line for a lap, then another led me around for the last two laps. Unfortunately I couldn't find them afterward, so no tips there. Second session was better, I felt more comfortable and passed a few more people (never expected it, but there are slower folks than me on the track...) After this session, I had to have more, so I asked if there were any no-shows or any other way it was possible for me to buy a spot in the B group. i was about to get turned away when another CR mentioned that he just bumped a guy up to I, so that was my ticket!
I started pushing it a little more, making sure I was hanging off as much as I thought possible, since I was touching the pegs down once in a while After a while I noticed that I was wobbly in the corners and thought about adding some preload to my shock. JDogg suggested I check my tire pressures hot (I had gone down to 32/25 cold, 1lb lower than on the street...I didn't know any better) and they had gotten up to 36/41!!! Let some air out (35/35) and got some advice from Matt about braking earlier and getting on the gas sooner - I had been braking kinda late (for me), but was just coasting to the apex.
Next session I go out and DAMN what a difference!! The tires were sticking so much better and my lines had cleaned up a lot. i started getting cocky...gave it too much throttle in turn 1 and down I go. Slid to the outside, the bike hit the dirt and flipped over to the other side. I slid out and tried to pop to my feet while still sliding (I'm a dumbass) and started tumbling. Only damage was a missing turn signal lens, bent handlebar, some scratches, and a strawberry on the knee. Started it up and rode back to pit. Chilled for a session and taped up the turn signal, then re-teched. Then the came... Oh well, i had a blast anyway. The wind started blowing and we got everything put away as fast as we could, and then it started pouring. The ride home was a ***...heavy downpour and stop-n-go traffic on the beltway back into MD.
All in all it was a great day. Nice seeing some faces again and meeting Jekyll, JDogg, Shift, Mr Pink, and Matt. Thanks for the tips fellas. I'll be out there again. Looking at TPM Art Basic school for the next one...

Hi, my name is Mike and I'm addicted to the track.

ps. sorry for the long post...i'm new at this
Unread
  (#10)
Resident Rodent

August 27, 2007, 07:46 AM

D'oh,

I meant Mike.

Mike, Mike, Mike.
Arghh. I was delirious ... pre-heat stroke. I have an excuse.

(Sorry)

Pat

- Rat

Unread
  (#11)
Ready To Rock & Roll!

August 27, 2007, 08:11 PM

You didn't look so hot in those pics Pat. Come on now mr "Safety Officer", you've been to PLENTY of safety briefs to know better than that. But trust me, I know ALL too well about the love and NEED to be out there.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, a beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally warn out and screaming WHOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!"

When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=1023383869

http://www.nki41.com/
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to norihaga  
Unread
  (#12)
Resident Rodent

August 27, 2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norihaga
You didn't look so hot in those pics Pat. Come on now mr "Safety Officer", you've been to PLENTY of safety briefs to know better than that. But trust me, I know ALL too well about the love and NEED to be out there.
I know, I know.

I didn't fall out, tho ... I did every session ... even if it was a half.

- Rat