DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 549
2 members and 547 guests
Heist, Nobrains
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Track Day Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools
Summit Point Main/Jeff (.netters rock)
Unread
  (#1)
What failure looks like

Summit Point Main/Jeff (.netters rock) - June 7, 2009, 07:38 PM

I won't even bother starting this off about how my weekend went. I need to start this off with a big THANK YOU to the .netters that went out of their way to help me out this weekend. I don't think I would have been able to get on track if it wasn't for you guys.

Big shout-outs to Carnage, RForce1, Hugh, VFRMatt, noob, and anyone that I may have missed.

The weekend started early with a ride on Summit Main. I was really pumped since this was my first trip to Main on the bike. I have ridden main a number of times in my old Evo and 240sx and I was thinking that it would be simple to get back in the groove.

Well, the weather had something to say about that. It rained, and rained, and rained ALL F'ING DAY! It was chilly, miserable, and wet...and these don't add up to a good track day. I was contemplating not bothering to even run the bike since I just put on DOT Race tires I knew they would suck. But I was like "what the hell, I paid for the day so I might as well ride".

Carnage went out and inspired me to take the bike for a spin. He was killing it out there and there is no way in HELL that he should be in B. He'll kill somebody if he runs in B...that's how much faster he was then anybody else. The rain tires also helped him tick off some nice laps.

So I took the bike off the stands and proceeded to go to pit out. The first session I just tiptoed around the track and the bike was sliding EVERYWHERE. It was a hot mess out there with streams running across the track, huge puddles on the race line, and it was still raining. I couldn't keep the rear tire from spinning at all. Anything about 6K spun up the rear tire and got the bike out of shape. Again, no biggie, but not fun. 2nd session out all hell broke loose for me.

After coming down the straight at about 130ish, I was entering turn one at a very moderate pace. I took a glance at the speedo before entering the corner, 35mph I tip the bike in and very easily crack the throttle open. She's bogging a bit in third on corner exit but that's good since it makes it easier to modulate the throttle. All of a sudden the revs shoot up, the back end steps out, and the bike is sideways. I tried to modulate throttle to no avail...I had my first high-side. The bike kicks me off and I land flat on my back. Meanwhile the bike flips on the opposite side and slides for a bit. I see something draining from the bike but I figured it was watter that collected in the belly pan. I get the hell off the track, leaving my baby laying in the middle of the track.

The crash truck comes to get me after the red flag and after we get to the bike I realize that it wasn't watter at all. I cracked the stator cover and dumped an engine's worth of oil on the track. Worse than that we can't move the bike at all. I figured that I left it in gear but that wasn't working. The front tire was locked up completely! My freaking master cylinder seized up the front tire when I was exiting the corner. It was the equivelant of doing a burnout while leaned over.

I pack the bike up and call Coleman PS to get another cover for the bike so I don't miss the Jeff on Saturday. I put the bike back together after I get home and do some inspections. Everything looks cool and I bled the shit out of the brakes hoping that it was solve the issue.

I get to the Jeff on Saturday and tech in while joking with Bobby (nesba director) about the crash at main. First session out, second lap I am exiting turn 10 and she acts like she doesn't want to go. In third gear I can't get the bike to accelerate at all. I tapped the front brake and it was solid! The MC is seized up again! I manage to get off the track and almost drop it in the mud with the tire locked up completely. I spent the rest of the session watching everyone blow by me having fun while I waited for the session to end. Bobby pulls up to pit out, looks at me, and motioned to the brake side clip-on. I knod yes and he immediately goes and gets an 8mm socket and wrench for my dumb ass

Carnage helped me out with re-bleeding and he happened to have a spare GSXR brake lever for me to try out! He hooked a brotha up and I was back out in the next session having fun. Johnathan saved my track day.

After that I was having a blast. I ticked off some pretty quick laps and managed to (inconsistently) get into the 57s on the Jeff. The A guys are running 55s-56s so I have a bit more work but I know a few places already to pick up some time. While cutting some nice laps I caught up to a very nicely prepped 848 We had similar pace so I was fun playing with him on track. After a session we starting talking about late braking turn 1 and he said that he wasn't comfortable enough with the bike yet for it.

Well on the next session we were at it again and we were picking up the pace too. At the end of the session out comes the checkered flag. I came into 1 hot and laid a pass down on him. I was braking hard and picked up the rear tire, released some brake pressure, set the backend down, and she started to move all over the place. I tipped it in, while REALLY making sure that I hold my line so I don't mess up my Ducati friend. I continue around the track but I don't hear the distinct sound of that twin behind me and harassing me at corner exit (stupid twin torque ). I pull into pit-out while looking back for the 848...nothing...then I look up and see a red flag...oh shit! He late braked turn one and trailed the brakes a bit too hard and washed the front end He was fine and the bike had some cosmetic issues but all-in-all everything was good.

Nick (RForce1) was killing it on his beautiful '09 R1 and Hugh was riding very nicely on his R6. Both were super cools cats and it was nice having company since I normally roll to the track solo.

Gentlemen - we have to do this again! TPM, Thunderbolt, July 4th and 5th...be there bishes!!!

'04 600RR - Street
'07 GSX-R 750 - Track only now
TPM #101 - Blue
NESBA #101 - Advanced
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to nrcooled  
Unread
  (#2)
Owner & Creator

June 7, 2009, 08:53 PM

Anytime. I was going to leave that brake lever at home, but I told myself to bring it because it is always good to have spares.

I'm trying to do NJMP this weekend.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

June 7, 2009, 09:06 PM

Damn, 57's on Jeff after having the weekend you started with? Good on ya!
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

June 7, 2009, 09:39 PM

u forgot me but I still forgive ya glad u had a good day out on saturday hell anything beats friday!

.................................................. ..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
.................................................. .......................
Unread
  (#5)
TPG - screw face

June 7, 2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiixerFiend7 View Post
u forgot me but I still forgive ya glad u had a good day out on saturday hell anything beats friday!
umbrella boy? don't wanna see those pics

nice write up - glad everything worked out for ya in the end and everyone had a good time!! Pretty sweet u got that kinda part in one day.
Unread
  (#6)
What failure looks like

June 8, 2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
Anytime. I was going to leave that brake lever at home, but I told myself to bring it because it is always good to have spares.

I'm trying to do NJMP this weekend.
I owe you a number of beers so just let me know when I can make good on my debt!

I wish I could make it up to NJMP but I have my little girl this weekend. If you can make it out on the 4th to Thunderbolt you should. If you haven't been there it's a sick-fast track and ripe for redonk-u-lous speeds and the nicely prepped R6 of your's will fit in well

'04 600RR - Street
TPM #101 - Blue
NESBA #101 - Advanced
Unread
  (#7)
What failure looks like

June 8, 2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
Damn, 57's on Jeff after having the weekend you started with? Good on ya!
The weekend really started to look up and the weather was perfect on Saturday. Also, I don't know if I can ride on track and not push the limit

FYI - The second session out on Sat I ran off track twice while trying to find the limits After that I could figure out how late I could brake and where to turn in for the best drive exiting.

'04 600RR - Street
TPM #101 - Blue
NESBA #101 - Advanced
Unread
  (#8)
Have Bikes - Will Travel

June 8, 2009, 10:35 AM

It was great meeting and riding with both you and Rforc1. I'm trying to get to VIR in July either the weekned of 4-5 or 17-18. Here's the NESBA schedule of the local tracks for July.

July, 2009
Date Location Price
7/4/2009 Summit - Jefferson Summit Point, WV $145
7/4/2009 VIR - South Alton, VA $165
7/5/2009 Summit - Jefferson Summit Point, WV $145
7/5/2009 VIR - South Alton, VA $165
7/6/2009 Summit - Main Summit Point, WV $175
7/6/2009 VIR - North Alton, VA $185
7/17/2009 VIR - Full Course Alton, VA $195
7/18/2009 BeaveRunSkill Enhancement Day - 'B' Wampum, PA $275
7/18/2009 VIR - Patriot Alton, VA $125
7/19/2009 BeaveRunSkill Enhancement Day - 'I' Wampum, PA $275
7/20/2009 NJMP-Thunderbolt Millville, NJ $155

Ill believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.
http://www.twowheelsgood.net
Unread
  (#9)
What failure looks like

June 8, 2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughtwg View Post
7/19/2009 BeaveRun Skill Enhancement Day - 'I' Wampum, PA $275
This looks very tempting!!!

'04 600RR - Street
TPM #101 - Blue
NESBA #101 - Advanced
Unread
  (#10)
#swag

June 8, 2009, 10:56 AM

That's a long damn write up! LOL

It was great hanging with the .netters on Friday, even if it was in the rain. Thanks again to Carnage for having the trust in me to take out his new-to-him R6 out in the rain. A big there. Thanks again for Bacari(Sp) for the pair of socks Friday, since I was an idiot and didn't think I'd need to bring spares..lol

Saturday was awesome. Great hanging out with both you, and Hugh! And those couple sessions we got some riding time together later in the day were fun! I'm definitely out of shape..seeing as how my first 2-3 sessions were my best...and also, how I can barely walk today. lol

Here are two pics from Sat.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#11)
I was sleeping

June 8, 2009, 11:20 AM

KEV~
NESBA # 401
2002 Honda 919
2003 Yamaha R6(05-09 SOLD)

MARRC Safety Crew - www.marrc.org
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Dirty  
Unread
  (#12)
Owner & Creator

June 8, 2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFORC1 View Post

It was great hanging with the .netters on Friday, even if it was in the rain. Thanks again to Carnage for having the trust in me to take out his new-to-him R6 out in the rain. A big there. Thanks again for Bacari(Sp) for the pair of socks Friday, since I was an idiot and didn't think I'd need to bring spares..lol

Saturday was awesome. Great hanging out with both you, and Hugh! And those couple sessions we got some riding time together later in the day were fun! I'm definitely out of shape..seeing as how my first 2-3 sessions were my best...and also, how I can barely walk today. lol

<--jealous didn't get to ride Jefferson
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

June 8, 2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFORC1 View Post

Sick pictures Nick, She handle as well as the 03
Unread
  (#14)
Nubbs ban yourself!

June 8, 2009, 11:33 AM

RForc1 what turn is that in the first pic? Great pics

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#15)
#swag

June 8, 2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage View Post
<--jealous didn't get to ride Jefferson
Eh, it's not the best track..but definitely good to get out there. Wish they would have let you ride in I and could have come out and diced it up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluhokie12 View Post
Sick pictures Nick, She handle as well as the 03
The bike handles well, but much different than the 03. You sit up a lot higher on the 09, and you feel like you're on top of the bike, whereas on my 03, you feel like you're part of the bike. Just going to take some getting used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2sport View Post
RForc1 what turn is that in the first pic? Great pics
I believe the first pic is T5 bus stop/fish hook..whatever you wanna call it..and the second pic is T9, the last left hander before the straight.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick