DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 535
1 members and 534 guests
Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Forums > Track Day Reports

LinkBack Thread Tools
TPM NJMP Track Report w/ Video
Unread
  (#1)
What failure looks like

TPM NJMP Track Report w/ Video - March 30, 2009, 03:16 PM

I wanted to post up my report on my track day with TPM at NJMP Thunderbolt.

Day1:

The track was just as fantastic as it was last year. The pavement is amazing and the conditions of the track are fantastic. The weather, as forecasted was crap. The morning session on Saturday was full of rain and a soaked track. Session one was OK and everyone was tiptoeing around the track getting a feel for it. The biggest issue was the track drainage. There were streams throughout the track and it made for some interesting experiences.

The bike moved A LOT over every stream and it was cold on top of everything else. After the first session (7 laps) my bike was running at 148 degrees but I was really impressed with the performance of the Pilot Powers in the wet.

The second session I was trying to find the line and also see how much grip I had....well...I found out how much grip I didn't have. I went down going into turn 6 at about 75mph. It happened quick as hell! One minute I thinking "woah, there is decent grip out here!" The next was "when am I going to stop sliding?"

The bike ended up about 20 feet off the track and I was about 40 feet off the track. Due to the wet conditions the bike didn't flip which was a big relief! I was worried about the bike but I couldn't go get it due to the track still being "hot".

So I sat there thinking the worst "the bike is fu*ked, I just wrapped it, my new exhaust is ruined, so much for this weekend" Well, after the rescue guys came out and loaded me and the bike up (both COVERED in mud) I still couldn't figure out how much damage was done. I got back to the pits and unloaded the bike and started spraying it down to get the dirt off. There were a couple of guys helping me and we were looking for damage and also looking for other GSX-Rs in the paddock to borrow parts. To my surprise THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE BIKE....NOTHING!

My frame slider was ground down pretty good but nothing else. So I fired the bike up, cleaned it off more, and re-teched. I brought extra leathers since i knew it was going to rain for day 2 but they got pulled out early since the MotoGP leathers were covered in mud

I ran a couple more sessions after that up until lunch. Then the rain stopped. The track started to dry up and we got to put in some quicker laps.

Out of 25 riders that attended the track day on Sat 12 crashed. It was ugly for a first day of the season. I watched the video of the crash and it really looks like I managed to loose both, front and rear, at the same time. I knew it felt weird when I went down and the video confirms it.

Day 2:

Day 2 started out even worse, weather-wise, then Day 1. FOG! Fog with rain delayed the start of the sessions and everyone was down. We were sick of rain/wet conditions!

Again, every one was tiptoeing around and the field was very thin. I went out and there were about 6 other bikes going out in the wet. After two sessions the rain stopped and, just as quickly, the sun came out. the track was drying up nice and we could really start pushing it. The track still had some streams but they were drying.

About the video: Don't be too harsh on me since I'm still learning the track and myself. The line through the triple apex right corner where I'm leaned over to the right for a LONG time (turn 9 and 10) are wrong DO NOT COPY them if you go

I was talking with one of the coaches prior to the session and this is us playing a bit on track (i.e. him showing me up ):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBQyfVZvtEA

'04 600RR - Street
'07 GSX-R 750 - Track only now
TPM #101 - Blue
NESBA #101 - Advanced
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to nrcooled  
Unread
  (#2)

March 30, 2009, 03:30 PM

Excellent write up and great vid! I'm heading out there in a few weeks and hope the weather holds up!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
What failure looks like

March 30, 2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-R View Post
Excellent write up and great vid! I'm heading out there in a few weeks and hope the weather holds up!
Thanks man! The track is awesome and I hope the weather holds up for you too. It's a FAST track so if you think you are going too slow, you probably are

They call it a technical track but I really don't think it is (except for turns 9 and 10). The line is fairly easy to figure out but ask a coach to go out with you and follow him. It's really helpful.

I had a coach go out with me and he said that I run the Blue pace (advanced) but my lines are very Red (intermediate)

'04 600RR - Street
TPM #101 - Blue
NESBA #101 - Advanced
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

March 30, 2009, 03:43 PM

damn that looked like a blast!!! but I wanted to see the crash

.................................................. ..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
.................................................. .......................
Unread
  (#5)
What failure looks like

March 30, 2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiixerFiend7 View Post
damn that looked like a blast!!! but I wanted to see the crash
It's pretty unspectacular. Right at tip-in for turn 6 you hear the bike drop and slide into the mud. You don't see me at all and it comes to a halt in about 2 seconds...kinda "meh" if you ask me.

'04 600RR - Street
TPM #101 - Blue
NESBA #101 - Advanced
Unread
  (#6)
What failure looks like

March 30, 2009, 04:23 PM

Here's a picture of me and the bike afterwards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00087_TPM_032809_DCBN.jpg (418.1 KB, 64 views)

'04 600RR - Street
TPM #101 - Blue
NESBA #101 - Advanced
Unread
  (#7)
TPG

March 30, 2009, 04:39 PM

its cause you cleaned your bike, she clearly wants to be dirty, glad you and the bike are ok, rain sucks
Unread
  (#8)
GET SOME ! ! !

March 30, 2009, 04:56 PM

awesome write up, can't wait to ride the track in a couple weeks

TPM/Roger Lyle/MARRC/NESBA #911

MARRC Cornerworker

2008 RAW Off-Road Desert Racing 58a Rider
Unread
  (#9)
Has an idiot exemption

March 30, 2009, 06:13 PM

Glad to hear you and your bike are OK!
Bike looks nice with the wrap. Well...except for the mailbox numbers.

Steve
2015 Yamaha R1
2011 Harley Electra Glide Limited
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Honda CRF150F
2004 Honda CRF150F Monster
2003 Honda CRF 150F Mini-monster
www.cornerspeed.net
Unread
  (#10)
2 wheels for life

March 30, 2009, 07:48 PM

:whattheysaid:

Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
Contributor

March 30, 2009, 11:24 PM

nice write and good vid as well

2006 Yamaha R6
2008 Zuma YW50

Semper Fi
MARRC Cornerworker
NESBA #707
CCS AM #991
www.marrc.org
www.cornerspeed.net
www.rnrcycles.com VA
www.trianglecycles.com NC/VA

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/27068503@N05/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Lucky  
Unread
  (#12)
Street Bonk Bum.....

March 31, 2009, 04:56 AM

glad to hear your ok and the bonk didnt get messed up Bakari i guess i dont have to kill you for screwing up that wrap

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#13)
GP Racer

March 31, 2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrownw View Post
its cause you cleaned your bike, she clearly wants to be dirty, glad you and the bike are ok, rain sucks
what he said

Good report
Unread
  (#14)
What failure looks like

March 31, 2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWZelibor View Post
glad to hear your ok and the bonk didnt get messed up Bakari i guess i dont have to kill you for screwing up that wrap
The funny thing was that the thought crossed my mind when I was standing there waiting to get picked up.

I was like "Jay is going to be pissed"

'04 600RR - Street
TPM #101 - Blue
NESBA #101 - Advanced
Unread
  (#15)
Street Bonk Bum.....

March 31, 2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrcooled View Post
The funny thing was that the thought crossed my mind when I was standing there waiting to get picked up.

I was like "Jay is going to be pissed"

as long as ur ok bro

CCS AM # 204