DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 189
5 members and 184 guests
2blueyam, CCS762ZX6, GRN96WS6, RRonin, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > HOW-TOs

LinkBack Thread Tools
2008 ZX6R wiring guide?
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

2008 ZX6R wiring guide? - April 22, 2012, 06:50 PM

Got a pair of lic plate lights that screw in where the bolts go for the lic plate. They also have brake lights on them. I have been looking for a wiring guide so I can get them put on so I can get my bike to pass whatever inspection it needs for VA. I have looked on the internet and found some, but when i print way to small to read. Not a computer wiz to figure out to make bigger, would ask my six year old but she is in Florida...lol

Thanks for any help you guys can offer

RESPECT ALL
FEAR NONE
EFFE

XBOX IBKrazy536
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Stolli - EFFE  
Unread
  (#2)
On vacation

April 22, 2012, 06:59 PM

It's not hard to find. All the wiring for the taillight, turn signals, and tag light run along the left side of the exhaust right above the heat shield. Trace the wires and you'll find the one you're looking for in no time. Disclaimer: you're gonna have to pull off a plastic cover underneath the tail section to get to the wires. If I remember correctly, this may involve pulling off both sides of the tail section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Chasing the dragon

April 22, 2012, 07:11 PM

Full wiring diagram can be found in the service manual. You can get it here: 2007-2008 Kawasaki ZX-6R Service Manual - ZX6R Forum

The tail will have to come off. You should see empty wires floating around back there unless the previous owner absolutely fuq'd everything up. Post up pics if you need help.
Unread
  (#4)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

April 22, 2012, 07:16 PM

1st you might not pass a VA inspection. It all depends on the inspector. Because the light bolts are not legal. But if you want to wire them up get a test light and start probing. There should be only 7 wires back there. 3 are ground, 1 running light, 1 brake light and 2 turn signals.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#5)
Licensed Rider

April 22, 2012, 07:29 PM

Bolt lights are not legal? Well that just isn't good. Crap...Guess I will look for another light for my plate. Thanks for the info before I got to far in the wiring.

RESPECT ALL
FEAR NONE
EFFE

XBOX IBKrazy536
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Stolli - EFFE  
Unread
  (#6)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

April 22, 2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolli - EFFE
Bolt lights are not legal? Well that just isn't good. Crap...Guess I will look for another light for my plate. Thanks for the info before I got to far in the wiring.
Multiple dealerships in the area offer the bolt lights for the specific reason that they will pass inspection at their shop.

My sister has them on her bike an has never had a problem anywhere. Same with her boyfriend.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nard Dog
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

XBOX - cameihumps
Unread
  (#7)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

April 22, 2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelhumps View Post
Multiple dealerships in the area offer the bolt lights for the specific reason that they will pass inspection at their shop.

My sister has them on her bike an has never had a problem anywhere. Same with her boyfriend.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
Bolt lights will never pass a VA State trooper inspection and you will get a ticket. No dealership in their right mind would say they will pass you if you buy these lights cause they could lose their inspection license. And if they do say that walk away quickly cause they are just rippin you off!

Now that being said I just removed mine and never put anything back.

www.RnRcycles.com

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#8)
No more 1050 :(

April 22, 2012, 07:53 PM

you people with your non-easily read license plates... tsk tsk
Unread
  (#9)
Licensed Rider

April 22, 2012, 07:56 PM

But to pass an inspection you do need a plate light correct? From what I have read it needs to be visable from 25 or 50 feet? right? New here so do not know. Is there a reason why bolt lights are not legal?

RESPECT ALL
FEAR NONE
EFFE

XBOX IBKrazy536
Unread
  (#10)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

April 22, 2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolli - EFFE View Post
But to pass an inspection you do need a plate light correct? From what I have read it needs to be visable from 25 or 50 feet? right? New here so do not know. Is there a reason why bolt lights are not legal?
Yes cause VA is I think the law is just plain stupid. To me if an aftermarket light does as good or even better than OEM why not let is work. But the state begs to differ. Check this page out for more info. Also there are cool OEM lights from KTM and Ducati you could use.

Virginia State Police - Safety Division

www.RnRcycles.com