DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 465
4 members and 461 guests
2blueyam, MPSniper, Sal_the_man, Toecutter
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > HOW-TOs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Bar end Mirrors on the cheap...a how to guide
Unread
  (#1)
Got my Permit

Bar end Mirrors on the cheap...a how to guide - August 15, 2007, 10:33 AM

I have recieved a ton of inquiries as to the construction of my bar end mirrors. I could not see the point in spending $60-160 on a set of friggin mirrors that would break in the event of a crash, dump, or getting knocked over by the prick in the parking lot.

I found a quick, cheap, and effective, solution to the issue. I stopped by my local bicycle shop and bought a set of Miracle bar end mirrors. They are approx. $15 each, constructed of a rigid polycarbonate, and have a nice mirror. They are designed for the rigors of mountain biking, can be mounted in a variety of ways, and handle abuse very well. Not to mention that you will not break the bank if you have to replace one.

If you have moto style bars, without an insert, it is a simple plug and play installation. If you have a threaded insert, or you want to keep your bar end weights, a simple modification will allow you to keep the weights and attach the mirrors as shown below:

My modification is simple, cheap, and easy, all you need is a dremel tool, a few attachments, and a longer through bolt for the assembly.

To attach at the end of an existing bar end:
1. Cut the insert off of the mirror using a cut off blade on a dremel.
2. You will have to create a concave surface on the interior of the mirror mount to have a nice, seamless look to the mirrror mount. A cone shaped stone works great for this.
3. Remove the original bolt from the bar weight. You will need to go approx. 10mm longer to compensate for the additional width of the mirror mount.
4. Mount away and decide how you want the mirror to sit, mirror up, down, inboarded or out. It all boils down to preference. I have mine mounted on the single stalk without the extension.

That is pretty much it. I broke one on my bike trying to lift a heavy cooler over it in the garage...so I will create a new one from scratch on Friday and post pics. This is exceptionally easy to do. Once you lay eyes on the assembly it will all make sense.

There is an advanced way to do this, requiring a mill and a drill press, but as most people do not have these items in their garage, I will skip it for now.

Heefus
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

August 15, 2007, 10:45 AM

Cool post. and nice exhaust pipes, too

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#3)
Chupathingy?

August 15, 2007, 10:51 AM

Nice wirte up. this is what rep poiints are for

PM me if your in H'Town, MD.
"Can't we go faster?.... Even if we rub cheetah blood on the engines?" -Phillip J. Fry

Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Sith4Brains Send a message via Yahoo to Sith4Brains Send a message via AIM to Sith4Brains Send a message via Skype™ to Sith4Brains 
Unread
  (#4)
Largely Unsupervised....

August 15, 2007, 11:03 AM

Good Tip! But really need a closeup shot of the finished installation.

--------------

This has been another fine contribution from Captain Craptastic.

2014 Harley Street Glide
'08 Brass Balls Bobber
'04 KTM 625 SMC
'78 Honda CB750K (soon to be mated to sidecar)
'07 SSR 125
'99 BMW K1200RS (SOLD)
'95 Honda Z50R (donated to a buddy)
'89 CR500R (SOLD)
'83 Honda CB1100F (SOLD)
'82 Honda CB750F (SOLD)
Unread
  (#5)
Fair Weather Fan

August 15, 2007, 11:25 AM

Can't wait for the pics. I would really like to see your step by step pics.

Senatus PopolusQue Romanus
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Sharkbait Send a message via AIM to Sharkbait  
Unread
  (#6)
Typical Stripper

August 15, 2007, 11:26 AM

3rd Eye Bicycle Mirror are another cheap option. Motorax makes a CRG like mirror as well for around $45 for the pair

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Fair Weather Fan

August 15, 2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist
3rd Eye Bicycle Mirror are another cheap option. Motorax makes a CRG like mirror as well for around $45 for the pair
I bought a Third eye set a few years ago, but opted to go back to having some solid bar ends to calm down handlebar vibrations. Currently riding "dirty" with no mirrors.

Senatus PopolusQue Romanus
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Sharkbait Send a message via AIM to Sharkbait