DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 576
5 members and 571 guests
davidcycle, Nobrains, ReasonableDoubt, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > HOW-TOs

LinkBack Thread Tools
BIKE WONT START... PLEASE HELP!!! Yamaha R6 2003
Unread
  (#1)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

Angry BIKE WONT START... PLEASE HELP!!! Yamaha R6 2003 - September 26, 2013, 05:43 PM

So for the past few months I have been puttig together a project bike (a bike i wrecked last year) finally got the damaged parts swapped out and everything in order and then a new problem arises. As im trying to start the bike it'll start but wont idle onc ei release the clutch. I am a member of r6-forum and have been back and forth with the TPS sensor, its been cleaned and re-aligned but bike still wont start. Have changed the gas and oil and now ive run out of ideas. I want to try every forum before I take to shop because as you all know shops around here will bend you over for a simple fix.

Here is an example of what is going on. Any suggestions will be helpful.

R6s wont stay on - YouTube
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)

September 26, 2013, 05:46 PM

Only difference in mine and that video is when I dump the throttle it doesnt respond, wont go past about 4000rpms
Unread
  (#3)
ELBOWZ

September 26, 2013, 06:25 PM

If its clutch dependent have you checked the wires and switch connected to it? It usually runs through your headlight and turn signal housing. If there is anything wrong there it could cut the engine.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

CCS #720 Expert
Michelin Tires www.sportbiketireservice.com
EvolveGT www.evolvegt.com
MRP Motorsports www.mrpmotorsports.com
MOTO-D Racing Tire Warmers www.motodracing.com
EVIL Powder Coating www.evilpowdercoating.com
AMSOIL www.dc-moto.net
Trackside Parts Club www.tracksidepartsclub.com
James
Unread
  (#4)

September 26, 2013, 06:49 PM

Thanks ill take a look at it Jshep....

Heres a more accurate description of whats going on... the EXACT same thing is happening

Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

September 26, 2013, 06:53 PM

Sounds like two issues. Correct?

1) When you release the clutch the engine dies. 2) Won't spin up over 4000 rpm.

Not sure how the neutral safety switch is wired on that bike but if it thinks the bike is in gear with the side stand down it is going to kill the bike when you release the clutch. If you stand the bike upright with the sidestand up does it still die when you release the clutch?

The RPM thing could be a lot of things. I'd do a search. Ignition advance not working? Injector rail partially clogged wityh old fuel? Running on only a couple of cylinders?

Edit: That bike in the last vid sounded like it wasn't firing on all cylinders. Fuel starvation?

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.

Last edited by windblown; September 26, 2013 at 06:56 PM..
Unread
  (#6)

September 26, 2013, 06:58 PM

It does it with the kickstand up... reconnected all the wires dealing with the clutch and that issue went away.... now its just the second video that is happening. RPMs not going over 4000rpms throttle not really responding to bike. Through some Seafoam in there to see if that helps but with the bike not staying on for more then a few seconds im not even sure its getting a chance to run through the system.

also cleaned the TPS with some electrical cleaner and it seemed to do the trick the FIRST time i started the bike after but the second and so on went right back to what it doing now.

PS thanks everybody for the help
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

September 26, 2013, 07:02 PM

If the bike will stay running with you spraying some short shots of starting fluid into the intake then it's a fuel deliver issue. If not it's ignition.

Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanic by trade.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#8)
ELBOWZ

September 26, 2013, 07:23 PM

If its been sitting for a year I would def look toward fuel contamination. I had the fuel pump clog up on me in a tank I got last winter that was sitting for several months. The ethenal makes the tank sludgy and clogs the fuel passages. Worth taking the tank off, draining the fuel and removing the pump. You should be able to see if there is a bunch of gunk built up and possibly the pump clogged up.

The bike only needs a tiny bit of fuel to idle, any more than that and it might be starving and dying.

Also a disclaimer: not a mechanic but a racer that has dealt with his fair share of things on an R6

CCS #720 Expert
Michelin Tires www.sportbiketireservice.com
EvolveGT www.evolvegt.com
MRP Motorsports www.mrpmotorsports.com
MOTO-D Racing Tire Warmers www.motodracing.com
EVIL Powder Coating www.evilpowdercoating.com
AMSOIL www.dc-moto.net
Trackside Parts Club www.tracksidepartsclub.com
James

Last edited by Jshep; September 26, 2013 at 07:53 PM..
Unread
  (#9)
Derpentine Dealer

September 26, 2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonatesR6 View Post
Only difference in mine and that video is when I dump the throttle it doesnt respond, wont go past about 4000rpms
My 10r will go into "limp mode" if certain DFI errors aer detected. Check on whether your bike has an ECU function for something similar. If so, you need to read the code(s) and go about addressing them.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#10)
AMA Superbike Champ

September 26, 2013, 09:04 PM

I've put together an 03 and 04 R6 recently so I have learned quite a lot about them. You mentioned you put it back together, describe exactly what you have done. More info would help. Did you happen to remove the throttle bodies? If so, be sure they are aligned and seated properly. If not, this will easily cause the symptoms described. As OSD mentioned, check for codes. If you have any, they will show with the ignition on (not running) on the lower part of the gauge cluster.
Unread
  (#11)
isn't camping great?!?!

September 27, 2013, 12:35 AM

as said, check the codes. also, the 03's had faulty coils and issued a recall. mine failed and it was evident it was arcing to the block. yours doesn't sound exactly like what mine did, but if you are still on original coils, it's worth a check.

team promotion coach #957
'o4 r6 track only - old pig in new shoes!
'o8 ktm 25o xc-w(e) street legal
'99 ktm 64o enduro a.k.a. "bad betty"
s2ooo street & track duty: volk, brembo, wilwood, ohlins ttx (soon!)

Unread
  (#12)
Derpentine Dealer

September 27, 2013, 08:05 AM

I listened to what's happening in the video. Sounds like inadequate fuel delivery. This could be a fuel pump problem. If the tank had any fuel in it for the period during which it sat unused, the pump may be a mess. You can find out how much it is supposed to pump out during priming and measure how much yours is pumping out. If yours falls short, then yank it and try cleaning it. If there is a screen or filter in the tank, focus attention on that. While you are in there, check for kinks in the fuel line.

Disclaimer: I do not exist.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.

Last edited by OrangeShirtDude; September 27, 2013 at 08:07 AM..
Unread
  (#13)

September 27, 2013, 09:43 AM

Full story....

April of last year bike was wrecked, got hit on the left side of the bike, ripped off clutch, damaged tank, cracked crankcase, cosmetic damage... got out of impound in august, and got a new tank and just tried to start it to see whats what... Bike was fine, just had to get jumpstarted and couldnt start on its own, but started and idled fine... gave to GFs dad at the time in Oct, we split in Nov.. and he wouldnt give it back until i went and got it in Aug. of this year... When i got it back i noticed he had taken a sledge hammer to it.. ruined tank, cracked oil pump cover, busted gauge cluster, busted new plastics that were bought.... so the build RE-began, bought a new tank, replaced the crankcase and oil pan cover, inspected all to make sure there was no interior damage done.... Because the crankcase was cracked all the oil leaked out and when tank was replaced there was about a gallon in the tank still, I took the fuel pump from the old tank and applied it to the new tank....Also replaced battery..

When trying to start the bike a few weeks ago it wouldnt start at all just rev.... put new gas in it as well as new oil, and thats when this problem started...

Im new to this so i dont really feel comfortable taking the motor/engine/throttle body out just cause i dont wanna make it worse then what it is, thats when i was doing some research and heard about the TPS so i went ahead and cleaned that n it kinda made a small difference the first time i fired it up after but then went back to what the 2nd video was doing...Got pissed and gave up...

I know how to get the bike into DIAG mode but i dont know how to get it into checking errors i guess.... Would it not just pop up when the bike was turned on? I have all the codes written down but dont know how to check and see if there is an error in the first place... If anyone knows how to do that ill check it now, im gonna take the TPS off and bring it in the house and THOROUGHLY clean it, dont really want to take the fuel pump out again cause if youve dealt with an R6 it pretty tricky, but if thats the problem i will do that as well...

cant think of anything else right now...
Unread
  (#14)
AMA Superbike Champ

September 27, 2013, 10:24 AM

Another thing to do is disconnect all the connectors, clean and apply dialectic grease on it. Also, because it was in an accident and beat up by your ex's father, go through the wiring harness with a fine tooth comb and look for any wires that could of been damaged and shorted out.

It's definitely a pain, but it's something simple your just missing.
Unread
  (#15)

September 27, 2013, 12:32 PM

Just took the fuel pump out and cleaned it/ put it back together and got error code 14 meaning a clogged or disconnected hose... intake air pressure.. im about to say f it and just call a mechanic or something... does anyone know how much getting that might cost? at this point if itll cost more to fix than the bike is worth im gonna just sell it as is as a project bike and make it someone elses problem