DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 555
6 members and 549 guests
CCS762ZX6, davidcycle, Nobrains, Sal_the_man, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Sportbike Operation > HOW-TOs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Brake Fluid Question
Unread
  (#1)
all around the world

Brake Fluid Question - April 1, 2007, 09:36 PM

So I just got my bike out for the Spring and I noticed that the brake fluid in the reservoir is pretty black on top of a little 'clean' fluid. My question is... do I need to bleed the brakes and all that jazz to clean that out or is there a simpler way to get clean brake fluid up in there? Any "accurate" advise would be greatly appreciated! If bleeding is necessary, anyone nearby that's knowledgeable and can help a brotha out? lol
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to titanium636  
Unread
  (#2)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

April 1, 2007, 09:48 PM

You can buy a nice little vaccuum tool that will suck the brake fluid out of the reservoir. Do that, then pour clean brake fluid into the reservoir. Drain the brake fluid out the bottom (have a friend keep adding to the reservoir) until all the icky fluid has cleared the system (flush the lines in case some gunk is farther down, also). No painful "bleeding" of the brakes. No air bubbles. No mess, and all that's left is clean brake fluid.

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

April 2, 2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat
You can buy a nice little vaccuum tool that will suck the brake fluid out of the reservoir. Do that, then pour clean brake fluid into the reservoir. Drain the brake fluid out the bottom (have a friend keep adding to the reservoir) until all the icky fluid has cleared the system (flush the lines in case some gunk is farther down, also). No painful "bleeding" of the brakes. No air bubbles. No mess, and all that's left is clean brake fluid.
No mess??? The real "icky" fluid is behind the pistons. At the least you should remove the calipers and compress the pistons with the bleeder open and then properly bleed your brakes. Basically what Kat is describing is a gravity bleed. Somepeople reccomend replace the brake fluid every year because it readily absorbs water.
Unread
  (#4)
all around the world

April 2, 2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space
No mess??? The real "icky" fluid is behind the pistons. At the least you should remove the calipers and compress the pistons with the bleeder open and then properly bleed your brakes. Basically what Kat is describing is a gravity bleed. Somepeople reccomend replace the brake fluid every year because it readily absorbs water.
Well, the fluid is definitely in need of being replaced because I haven't replaced it since I bought the bike. I looked online and found a vacuum tool and bleeder kit...would that do the trick? Once I have the right tools, is the 'bleeding' process hard?
Unread
  (#5)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

April 2, 2007, 08:33 AM

Hey if you have never done brake bleeding before please get someone to show you!!! This is something not to mess around with. You can pm me and we can hook up and I will show you. The last thing you want to do is have a front brake failure and crash.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

April 2, 2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanium636
Well, the fluid is definitely in need of being replaced because I haven't replaced it since I bought the bike. I looked online and found a vacuum tool and bleeder kit...would that do the trick? Once I have the right tools, is the 'bleeding' process hard?
Waste of money. If you are looking to make it easier look for a produce called "speed Bleeders". You really only need some .25" i.d. hose, break fluid and someone to squeeze the lever.

To bleed them after you compress the pistons. Compress Pistons on both calipers before bleedeing. DO NOT SQUEEZE BRAKE LEVER WITH CALIPER AND PADS REMOVED. USE ONLY AN UNOPENED CAN OF THE SPECIFIED FLUID.

1. re install pads in the locations they came from.
2. install calipers
3. attach hose to bleed valve
4. make sure fluid is full DO NOT SPILL FLUID ON PAINT
5. have friend squeeze lever while you losen bleeders valve
6. tighten bleeder valve and release lever
7. repeat 5 & 6 several times making sure fluid level does not drop too low
8. repeat process for all calipers
9. top off fluid and test lever pull then test ride.

Should take about an hour to do the entire bike.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

April 2, 2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131
Hey if you have never done brake bleeding before please get someone to show you!!! This is something not to mess around with. You can pm me and we can hook up and I will show you. The last thing you want to do is have a front brake failure and crash.
+1
Unread
  (#8)
all around the world

April 2, 2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131
Front Brake Failure = NOT GOOD!
Unread
  (#9)
Knee Draggin!

April 4, 2007, 05:16 PM

Defiantly have somebody else there to help you, like everybody else said it isn’t a terribly difficult process but it you try and jerry rig it and get a few air bubbles in the line, your going to pay for it in the end and if you’re really lucky all you will have to do is bleed them all over again the proper way. I learned the hard way that air in the lines is a bad thing but lucky it was on an MX bike which was quite forgiving.

Charlie